‘Thousands’ of Thai firms monitored over illegal software

webfact

‘Thousands’ of Thai firms monitored over illegal software

By The Nation

softw.jpg

FILE photo

Unlicensed software remains common among corporations and IT sectors in Southeast Asia, whether due to indifference, intent or neglect.

BSA the Software Alliance, a global trade association of software publishers, warns that the use of unlicensed software poses serious security, business and legal risks to the users and their industries. 

BSA’s “Legalise and Protect” campaign sees it working with governments and other partners to educate companies about the significant risks they face when they use software that is not genuine or not fully licensed. 

BSA members’ software products are used in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, IT, finance, professional services, construction, healthcare, consumer goods, engineering, architecture and design.

BSA is working with the Thai government, using its database of thousands of companies in Thailand under watch for possible violations. 

In coming months BSA will launch public education efforts to ensure business leaders are aware of the risks of using unlicensed software.

“By legalising their software, companies can protect data security, protect competitiveness, protect their reputations – and protect against the risk of legal consequences,” said BSA senior director Tarun Sawney. “The sooner companies legalise, the sooner they can protect their operations and ultimately protect their bottom lines.”

The Asia-Pacific region has the highest rate of unlicensed software use in the world at 57 per cent. A problem of this scale is best tackled by changing minds and behaviour to encourage self-regulation and voluntary compliance, Tarun said. 

BSA has thus oriented its campaign primarily to discourage companies from installing and using unlicensed or illegal software – not just for fear of enforcement, but because it is in their best interests to do so.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30365285

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-06

20 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Most illegal software contains trojans so install at your peril , everytime i take my desktop in to have something done i have to get rid of what extra has been installed even though i say dont install any other software .

You're using the wrong OS. If you persist using your installed OS, at least make an effort to block all third party intrusions.

9 minutes ago, Wilson Smith said:

Windows is under $100 and office is $5 a month.

" manufacturing, IT, finance, professional services, construction, healthcare, consumer goods, engineering, architecture and design. "

I doubt they are talking about office here, some software is very expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Indeed, a previous thread listed the main companies behind this purge, they included such a Dassault Systems and other high cost stuff.

The only relatively mainstream software supplier mentioned was AutoDesk the makers of AutoCAD.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

" manufacturing, IT, finance, professional services, construction, healthcare, consumer goods, engineering, architecture and design. "

if the issue is pushed expect to see prices rise as companies try to recoup the extra cost on consumers backs..

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Indeed, a previous thread listed the main companies behind this purge, they included such a Dassault Systems and other high cost stuff.

The only relatively mainstream software supplier mentioned was AutoDesk the makers of AutoCAD.

Dassault make Solidworks, at $3,995 its not hard to see why there is piracy in poorer countries.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Recoup the extra cost?  You've lost me there, what extra cost, recoup from when?

If companies are eventually forced to stop using counterfeit or license scammed software and they incur more costs it will be passed on to the consumer. This is what usually happens when business costs rise.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

If companies are eventually forced to stop using counterfeit or license scammed software and they incur more costs it will be passed on to the consumer.

And that's exactly how it should work.

• Like 1

Went to buy a new laptop last year at an unnamed well-established IT store branch.

As we're activating Windows together with staff-

Guy: "What else you want?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Guy: "We have everything. You want Photoshop also?"

Me: "How much?"

Guy: "It free"

Me: "Huh? It pirated?"

Guy: *shrugs shoulders*

No f**s given here

14 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

Linux is very affordable. Get a good distribution and you are ready to go. Legally. Free. Happy.

I believe most of the servers that run the internet are on Linux, I switched over to mint a few weeks ago and will not be back to windoze.

I think Office moved to a subscription model a couple of years back, so companies will never own the software, and will either have to continue to pay per computer, or some such tariff.. Bill Gates must be rubbing his hands together.

53 minutes ago, Genmai said:

Went to buy a new laptop last year at an unnamed well-established IT store branch.

As we're activating Windows together with staff-

Guy: "What else you want?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Guy: "We have everything. You want Photoshop also?"

Me: "How much?"

Guy: "It free"

Me: "Huh? It pirated?"

Guy: *shrugs shoulders*

No f**s given here

not wrong, ex gf got bought an overpriced gaming laptop by family (for work) and it came with no OS

the dunce at the shop installed her a pirate copy of Windows 10, wasn't activated.

I got a W10 key for $10 online and wiped whatever they had put on there.

The fact that you buy a laptop without an operating system is a clue.

Years back I bought a laptop from a well known supermarket, name starting with 'Big'.

The guy asked me if I wanted Windows installed. Of course.

Then I was shocked how cheap it was. Of course it was a clone copy

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

If companies are eventually forced to stop using counterfeit or license scammed software and they incur more costs it will be passed on to the consumer. This is what usually happens when business costs rise.

Sorry my bad, I thought you meant the software price.  Yes, it will force price increases, but that's generally speaking a good thing, not necessarily in an economy like Thailand's though, its likely to further marginalize the poor.

• Like 1