If alcohol were illegal, would you still live here?

Boomhauer

It seems there are many groups of activists pushing for a ban on sales of alcohol these days. It has become more and more prevalent over the past few years, with pressure groups and anti-alcohol campaigners pushing for evermore days where alcohol sales are prohibited.

A big reason why I initially moved here was the freedoms and liberal nature expressed by a lot of the population, but we seem to be going backwards now.. 

Would you still live here if they outright banned the sale/use of alcohol tomorrow? I'd have to look elsewhere I think.

12 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

but we seem to be going backwards now.. 

Would you still live here if they outright banned the sale/use of alcohol tomorrow? I'd have to look elsewhere I think.

Firstly :- Backwards !!  A bit of an extreme notion if you ask me a ban on sales of alcohol has been about a long time but has never stopped anyone from buying a beer. 

Secondly :-  Will never happen until museys get control of Thailand, if it did I'd brew my own.????

• Like 2

I do like a cold one after a long day, particularly one on a hot, dusty (or muddy in the wet season), noisy construction site.

I managed several months in Ahmedabad, India which is dry. I didn't die but the first one when I got home .... bliss!

So, no, I would still be alive and I would still be here. But, realistically, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Just now, Boomhauer said:

I am one of those that panic. I need to drink everyday. Not much mind you, just a bottle or two does me but I still need it every day.

Just plan ahead an there is no panic, we even have a calender in the Pub forum showing non-alcohol days.

Each to their own.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Just plan ahead an there is no panic, we even have a calender in the Pub forum showing non-alcohol days.

Each to their own.

my point was that they are constantly adding more and more days as each year passes! at this rate I will have to stock 365 days worth of booze in my fridge just in case.

I found it easy to give up drinking here, not tea-total at all but drink rarely (and selectively) as any Thai beer is - in my opinion - terrible. Insipid, cheap and nasty like Carling in the UK, brewed for profit, not taste.

Also, I love red wine but have not bought a bottle for years, as paying 10 times the price the country of origin retails the same wine is unthinkable. Insulting and everyone should boycott wine until it changes.

I also like whisky and other spirits but the chances of getting poured fake stuff also worries me, ever since I saw the 'factory' they bust in the south, with thousands of bottles and fake Johnny Walker labels. Who knows what the xxxx goes into these bottles.

If you have never liked any beer, it's very likely you have never been to Dublin and sampled gallons of Guinness, the king of all beers ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Also, I love red wine but have not bought a bottle for years, as paying 10 times the price the country of origin retails the same wine is unthinkable. Insulting and everyone should boycott wine until it changes.

Makro has some decent red wine in at the moment. 250 baht, Australian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Boomhauer said:

So, should it be banned outright because some people dont need it? Why should others suffer and have liberties snatched away because a few dont like it? Doesn't make much sense to me.

You mean like weed?

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Dont worry the Mom and Pop stores would still sell it

I'm not sure they would if it was suddenly outlawed overnight. Then it would be akin to them selling illegal drugs.. all it takes is a few more negative news stories involving alcohol in the thai news media and we could be looking down the barrel at a dry future.

Edited by Boomhauer
  • Confused 1

People tend to think alcohol is cheap in Thailand, but there is good reason not many Thais drink a lot, if you equate prices to the average income level it gets quite scary just how expensive it is compared to Europe, UK etc...

Average income 10,000 per month for common everyday workers, wanting a cold one. Average beer from Tesco etc 200bt for 6.

Disposable income 20% (if they are lucky) - 2,000 baht per month. If lover of beer, can buy roughly 60 beers, no entertainment, travel, women...

In Europe average income 3,000, average beer from supermarket 8 Euro for 6

Disposable income 600 Euro, can buy 75 (much, much better) beers... ????