Why is there so much anger in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, ta158 said:

but now this is an thai forum, about thailand and we are in thailand.

And yet in all your comments above you have referred to other places than Thailand, its just a comparative comment as are yours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, totally thaied up said:

I can go to my hometown in Australia and find the same stuff. We are all human, made out of the same particles and our anger and frustrations have no known limits.  

try to make your love and compassion limitless ...a lifelong job...step by step...only that will change things..

4 minutes ago, fusion58 said:

Thai culture seems to provide relatively few "safe" or "healthy" release valves for anger. Anger is something you're not supposed to have, e.g., an expression of anger = a loss of face. This problem is compounded by the fact that Thais, generally speaking, have very weak and fragile egos insofar as the importance given to accepting one's role or place in the social hierarchy and the "hive mind" always supersede individual/personal development.

In the West 90% of anger comes from the lack of readily available sex at a reasonable price.  Not so in Thailand.  That is why most men come here.  Thai men have it even better with the culture of mia noi and gik.  Generally speaking Thais have giant egos that are reinforced since birth - best country, best food, best climate and on and on.  Many Thai monks isolate themselves to meditate and they are universally admired in Thailand (forest tradition).  Thais think the Lone Ranger is a nut case and social cooperation is valued.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I am from a rural area of the UK and now live in a rural area of Thailand. In the UK I saw fights normally involving drunk people, but not a lot of violence.

In the village I now live in over the last 15 years there has been;

1x murder

3x drink drive killings

3x house burglary (one my wife's shop).

2x Child rape (12 & 14 year old girls) Both girls were paid off.

There are weekly fights normally involving drunk people.

Despite the violence I have never felt in danger, even when the Cambodians were firing rockets at us. If I look at my old village in the UK it is safer than my Thai village, but I feel safe. Maybe its because I have a wall around the house with dogs and cameras. But I think the main thing is I do not go out once it is dark, I don't bother anyone and no one bothers me or my family.

hope it stays that way for you...

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Generally speaking Thais have giant egos that are reinforced since birth - best country, best food, best climate and on and on.

These attitudes are prevalent here, to be sure, but such arrogance is usually a compensation for low self-esteem and a lack of ego strength. If they had big egos, then they'd have the capacity for things like self-control, rational reflection, deferred gratification, etc.

• Like 1

Rough guess is 1/2 the country take their buddhism seriously enough that may help them be cool, and prevent angry outbursts and violence.  The other half don't and/or just pretend for the sake of family and face in society, but it's not enough to influence their behavior in the moment.  They may crawl around on the floor and wai a lot afterward though.