Secondhand Kindle E-book reader

Gandtee

Try eBay, Craigslist or Gumtree.

You can download the Kindle app to a smartphone, then transfer book files to it from open software such as Calibre. Or buy from Amazon. My Kindle sits idle now because I read my books on my OPPO.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

If you have a tablet you can download a ebook reader app. I have a Nook which is similar to a Kindle but find myself reading on my tablet more. I also have a audiobook app for listening at night, helps me get off to sleep. Thousands of free, both audio and ebooks to download. BTW, plenty of used Kindles on Ebay from $20 up.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I had a Nook for a couple of years until it died on me. It was OK but 18 months ago I bought a Lenovo tablet and use that now. A far better machine and much more practical.

I have a great pile of ebooks on my main pc and I use calibre to sort them. On the tablet I use FBreader which is a free download and that works very well

• Like 2

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

I had a Nook for a couple of years until it died on me. It was OK but 18 months ago I bought a Lenovo tablet and use that now. A far better machine and much more practical.

I have a great pile of ebooks on my main pc and I use calibre to sort them. On the tablet I use FBreader which is a free download and that works very well

The problem I found with the Nook (and probably the Kindle too) Is that they are very good as Ebook readers but fairly useless at anything else.

A tablet OTH is a multifunctional device with the Ebook reader as only one of the options.

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The problem I found with the Nook (and probably the Kindle too) Is that they are very good as Ebook readers but fairly useless at anything else.

A tablet OTH is a multifunctional device with the Ebook reader as only one of the options.

A couple of pluses for the Nook are that it's probably easier on the eyes than a tablet and it also runs a hell of a lot longer on a full battery. I only needed to charge mine once a month and that was reading for a couple of hours a day, but overall a tablet is a better option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

A couple of pluses for the Nook are that it's probably easier on the eyes than a tablet and it also runs a hell of a lot longer on a full battery. I only needed to charge mine once a month and that was reading for a couple of hours a day, but overall a tablet is a better option.

Does it really matter how often you put it on charge for?

It is still only a one shot device whereas a tablet can also be used as a mobile plus a small computer thus saving the costs of at least one or more devices.

That was the main reason I opted for the tablet. Less devices and less cluuter,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Does it really matter how often you put it on charge for?

It is still only a one shot device whereas a tablet can also be used as a mobile plus a small computer thus saving the costs of at least one or more devices.

That was the main reason I opted for the tablet. Less devices and less cluuter,

Did I not say the tablet was a better option?

• Like 1

I dont know how true this is, but a friend of mine, a geek from way back, tells me that the manufactured 'life' of a Kindle is no more than 4 years.  So buying second hand doesn't seem like a smart move?  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I dont know how true this is, but a friend of mine, a geek from way back, tells me that the manufactured 'life' of a Kindle is no more than 4 years.  So buying second hand doesn't seem like a smart move?  

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mine lasted 3 years then the battery got 'fat' (same for my Nook, fat then failed).

Tried putting a new battery in, but nothing worked, these devices have been carefully engineered to fail.

Even cut the chip off the old battery, and fixed it to the new battery, I'm convinced there's a 'suicide timer' in these devices.

Better buy new, even better buy a 7" tablet and use FBReader app.

Nook and Kindle are great ideas but have been crippled by the greed of the manufacturers,

I disagree.  My original Kindle Paperwhite, bought in 2011 got broken accidentally and, despite admitting it was entirely my fault, Amazon replaced it free of charge including the shipping to Thailand - not exactly an example of the greed of the manufacturer!  The replacement has worked flawlessly and is in use 2-3 hours a day, every day and often more.  I have never heard a rumour or seen any credible evidence of planned obsolescence.

Reading books on a multifunction device means putting up with all the intrusive notifications and crap that Android and IoS throw out and there are very few screens that can match the e-ink on dedicated readers use. 

1 hour ago, Greenside said:

I disagree.  My original Kindle Paperwhite, bought in 2011 got broken accidentally and, despite admitting it was entirely my fault, Amazon replaced it free of charge including the shipping to Thailand - not exactly an example of the greed of the manufacturer!  The replacement has worked flawlessly and is in use 2-3 hours a day, every day and often more.  I have never heard a rumour or seen any credible evidence of planned obsolescence.

Reading books on a multifunction device means putting up with all the intrusive notifications and crap that Android and IoS throw out and there are very few screens that can match the e-ink on dedicated readers use. 

May I suggest that you may have been lucky.  Most people I know replace their Kindles every 4 to 5 years as they just stop working. I have been through 3 of them in 10 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greenside said:

I use FBReader on my tablet and there are no intrusive notifications and crap that Android and IoS throw out.

Also on my Lenovo I can use black on a white background or white on black and I can also vary the screen brilliance depending on the time of day.

I use my tablet to do crosswords as well, something that the Kindle and Nook cannot.

• Like 1

Well i am in the UK now and my neice just gave me her old one which works perfectly and i have used it in England every holiday i have been there for about 6 years still works perfectly.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have had 3 Nooks, the previous two lasted 3 years on average before the print started to fade and the plastic buttons disintegrated. Still have one that works fine but would not buy another when a tablet does the same thing plus.

• Like 2