Acceptance As A Farang Int/land

Thehedonist

It used to be the case that as a foreigner in Thailand you automatically received respect from pretty much every Thai person you met. That, thankfully, is no longer the case, Thais have soon got caught on to the behavior of many of the Farangs that wash up in Thailand.

If Farangs are no longer respected in the way they where, they only have themselves to thank.

But as I say, I think this change from universal respect is a good thing, its good for the Thais and its good for foreigners who play the game by the rules.

As for how can you be assured of acceptance as an individual foreigner in Thailand? Well I don't think you can assure acceptance in all situations and from all Thais, that's never going to happen.

But you can help things along a bit.

The absolute top Tip - Manners and Conduct

Behave according to the best manners and behavior of your own culture. We hear a lot about Thai manners and culture and many a bar stool guide will give you a string of do's and don'ts but what you find out eventually is 'most of what you are told about Thai manners and culture is not entirely correct, it is the projection of manners and values that are perhaps more myth than reality'.

Follow the good manners and good conduct that you know and that fits you best - Your own.

Thais and everyone else around you can see good manners and good conduct. Thais put an enormous store in good manners, even if they don't always follow these themselves. They will be very much more inclined to accept you if you show yourself to have good manners and good conduct.

Tip Two Learn Thai

Learning Thai will open doors you perhaps never even knew where there. Language is the big key to understanding situations (and being able to control them), it is a huge window into the culture and it is a clear sign that you want to take part and fit into Thailand.

I honestly do not think it is possible to understand a culture without learning the language. All the emphasis and stressing of values and beliefs is there in the language and the way the language is used. Understanding the difference between what is said and how it is said really does help you understand what is actually going on around you, and how you can relate to the people better.

I put language after manners and conduct because the most respected and accepted foreigner I knew in Thailand, hardly spoke Thai, but he had great manners and conduct.

Oh and don't just learn Thai, learn the right Thai. One misused word can destroy you! I've actually witnessed a guy ruin his reputation by spouting what he thought was a 'witty remark' ( a bit of bar Thai) in the wrong setting.

Tip Three Choose Your Company Wisely

Choosing the right company is hugely important if you want to be accepted and respected. Thailand is a class ridden society. You don't have to seek the company of the hi-so's, I wouldn't recommend it, but neither do you have to seek your friends at the other end of the spectrum.

Tip FourParticipate

Get involved with people, go out of your way to talk to people (language opens that door) and be seen as someone who is living in Thailand, not someone who is living behind a 2.5 meter high wall with broken glass on the edges.

Many thank's G/house, and some of the others for your informative replys, as for some of the other replys well I feel sad for you, namely Maestro, Terry 57, mdeland, better to say nothing than answer with stupidity !

I have travelled widely in many countries, and been treated far better with genuine warmth, in far poorer countries than T/land "That was my point thats all" I will be back to LOS, my intial post was just my observation. But I observe there are an element on this site that love to wind up ! I don't need anyones sympathy, and I never cry !

Do you get the bigger picture, or will someone pull this post to bits ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many thank's G/house, and some of the others for your informative replys, as for some of the other replys well I feel sad for you, namely Maestro, Terry 57, mdeland, better to say nothing than answer with stupidity !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good call. "From your lip's to God's ear" brother... :o

Emperor tud, I'm confused :o

In one post you say;

It's not up to the Westerner how they view themselves in Thailand - it's entirely up to the Thais, after all, it is still their country.

but in this post you say;

As I already said, it doesn't matter what the local buffalo farmer thinks, or Garro thinks, or even what you think; you are not an Immigrant on a Non-Immigrant or Tourist visa, regardless whether the local populus accepts you as part of the community or not.

In one post you say;

It's not up to the Westerner how they view themselves in Thailand - it's entirely up to the Thais, after all, it is still their country.

As I already said, it doesn't matter what the local buffalo farmer thinks, or Garro thinks, or even what you think; you are not an Immigrant on a Non-Immigrant or Tourist visa, regardless whether the local populus accepts you as part of the community or not.

Garro, answer me this please if you can. Why do so many agonise over what cannot be changed? It's Thailand, they're Thai and we're not, this is a fact and will never change. They have the advantage of being on their own turf, we have have the advantage of having a choice that is denied to many millions of unfortunates in the world. If you gamble your whole stake on one number, it's a decision you can't easily go back on. From what I gather from your posts, you're happy enough with your win. Enjoy, and if you can, try to convince the weary willies that they have made the right move.

In one post you say;

Garro, answer me this please if you can. Why do so many agonise over what cannot be changed? It's Thailand, they're Thai and we're not, this is a fact and will never change. They have the advantage of being on their own turf, we have have the advantage of having a choice that is denied to many millions of unfortunates in the world. If you gamble your whole stake on one number, it's a decision you can't easily go back on. From what I gather from your posts, you're happy enough with your win. Enjoy, and if you can, try to convince the weary willies that they have made the right move.

qwertz

All I was saying was that I didn't think it was anybody else's business how other people view themselves. I was just pointing out to Mr Tud that it is up to the individual how they see themselves. I personally don't consider myself an immigrant but I would fight to the death for the right of other farang to view themselves how they wish. Well maybe not to the death but I might get cross if I am not too busy. I never really think about my status in Thailand as this would fall under the umbrella of 'think too mutt'.