Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It's inevitable, all life is failure else you would never die.

Only the length of time and the ways of failure are different.

If you're really lucky, you die quickly and unexpectedly before you realise/reach your point of failure.

Not true. As death is an inherent part of life, dying is to succeed at life.

Depends how spectacular you want it to be. Never pleasant for those you leave behind.

I'm leaving enough money for a massive party and instructions that no one wears black. Life's been a blast so far, why let dying get in the way of a good time?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jvs said:

I am proud to be a farmer!

Good for you.  I was in Vietnam in 68' and I can't stand Green Berets either.  Pompous airheads who wore gold insignia when we all had subdued.  The only thing they were good for was building good bars and stealing jeeps.  I don't like farmers because they talk incessantly about crops, animal poop and family and the last time aunty made her famous soup.  We spent one evening discussing how America faked the moon landing - they all believed it was phony.  You can take comfort in the fact that it's not just Thai farmers but all farmers I dislike.  Small town culture sucks in my opinion.  I like gourmet food and fine wines.  Not going to happen in Danville Arkansas or Nakon Nowhere.  My farming in laws didn't like NYC.  I like college educated, cosmopolitan, well traveled people so we have something to talk about. 

Funny Thread,

Anyone who tries to correlate what they read on TVF to real world life here in Thailand is sadly gullible. Most of the posters on this site post like they do out of sheer boredom and many for fun.

The only hate or aggression I see is on this site.  Outside I meet nice folks both expats/inpats and Thai folks.

Now where one lives, how they behave socially etc will have a significant impact on their POV.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

No I don't do that there all on "ignore user".

What is the point of telling someone you have put them on your ignore list? It simply validates them as having got under your skin.

I have no one on my ignore list. I simply ignore a###holes without saying anything.

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Good for you.  I was in Vietnam in 68' and I can't stand Green Berets either.  Pompous airheads who wore gold insignia when we all had subdued.  The only thing they were good for was building good bars and stealing jeeps.  I don't like farmers because they talk incessantly about crops, animal poop and family and the last time aunty made her famous soup.  We spent one evening discussing how America faked the moon landing - they all believed it was phony.  You can take comfort in the fact that it's not just Thai farmers but all farmers I dislike.  Small town culture sucks in my opinion.  I like gourmet food and fine wines.  Not going to happen in Danville Arkansas or Nakon Nowhere.  My farming in laws didn't like NYC.  I like college educated, cosmopolitan, well traveled people so we have something to talk about. 

Running out of people to talk to? Probably why you are posting on TV.

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

The only hate or aggression I see is on this site.  Outside I meet nice folks both expats/inpats and Thai folks.

Wait till you see a nice quiet Thai girl running down the road in the middle of the day with a big 'chop chop' knife trying to dice her boyfriend up because he found out she had stolen his ATM card and number the previous night and 5,000 baht went missing... 

Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

Cue 9 pages of bickering.

I'll have a chat with anyone once, and most people a second time.  It's the risk of meeting those I'd prefer not to see a second time that makes me wary. 

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I like college educated, cosmopolitan, well traveled people so we have something to talk about. 

I am colleged ecucated,traveled a lot and have a lot of hobbies.

I speak four languages ,i can weld,build my own house,grow my own food ,fix my own car and do many more things.

Fresh from the farm/garden food is the real gourmet food.

I do not think i would want to talk to you,you sound boring.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

I speak four languages ,i can weld,build my own house,grow my own food ,fix my own car and do many more things.

" Colleged ecucated"? You are extracting the urine, right?

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

When are you Brits ever going to learn? Strawberries and cream, OR chocolate sauce. No wonder your taste buds are so confused.

Number one method to get my farang wife off. Strawberries hand dipped in chocolate, frozen the popped into her mouth. Great female aphrodisiac. Probably why Americans don't get it.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Running out of people to talk to? Probably why you are posting on TV.

I guess you don't read well.  I said I cross the street when I see another expat coming.  I'm not running out of people to talk to - I'm running away from people who wish to talk to me. 

8 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Wait till you see a nice quiet Thai girl running down the road in the middle of the day with a big 'chop chop' knife trying to dice her boyfriend up because he found out she had stolen his ATM card and number the previous night and 5,000 baht went missing... 

Is that a common event where you live?  Been here quite a few years and haven't seen it.  Could be an entertaining event if I had a nice view and a drink in my hand. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I guess you don't read well.  I said I cross the street when I see another expat coming.  I'm not running out of people to talk to - I'm running away from people who wish to talk to me. 

Such hostility. Your guess is off the mark.

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Is that a common event where you live?  Been here quite a few years and haven't seen it. 

I have seen it twice in 10 years. Both over money and this was in sleepy Chiang Mai. The first time it was a farang and his girlfriend and the second time it was a Ladyboy trying to get money from a customer.

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have a few Expat acquaintances, I would not call them friends, as I choose those wisely, but they are nice people living normal lives, all with successful marriages to Thai ladies. It all depends who you mix with, or don't not mix with.  I have no time for bars, bar girls, massage shops and big Cities like Pattaya Phuket and Bangkok, and the people that spend their life in them, so that rules out an awful lot of people on TV.   I outgrew that type of life as I passed my early twenties.  There are a few people I see posting on TV that are prepared to give out useful information and that are very helpful to other members, Ubonjoe for instance.  These people make using TV very worthwhile.  But there  are also a lot of cynics here, who take great delight in putting other people down and making their sarcastic jibes at everyone and everything.  They must be very unhappy people. But that is no different to many social media platforms, they all have those type of people using them to degrade others.  You would avoid these people in real life like the plague, but TV gives them an anonymous outlet to vent their bile at every opportunity and they are hard to avoid. Some times, it's very difficult not to respond in kind to their jibes, but of course, that is what they are after.  Best just to ignore them and read and post the good stuff.  

Sorry to hear you peaked early on, I was 50 before I peaked. Some of us aren't quitters. ahahaha

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have been a member of TVF for several years now, and I am still a bit shocked at the low opinion that TVF members have of other TVF members in particular and other Thai expats in general.

I look at it from the opposite angle. Most of the disparaging comments about Expats seem to come from posters who are not Expats at all, but enjoy disparaging expats.

I don’t understand why Thaivisa tolerates this, but it is their website and we, only guests here.

13 minutes ago, jvs said:

Do you farm celery?  It's probably the farmer in you coming out.  Fresh from the farm garden is not real gourmet food as there is no gourmet cook there.  Gourmet is quality plus preparation.  Gourmet cooks are only found in gourmet restaurants same with good wine.

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is the point of telling someone you have put them on your ignore list? It simply validates them as having got under your skin.

I have no one on my ignore list. I simply ignore a###holes without saying anything.

I don't like calling tv users a###holes, your on my ignore list. ???? 

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I have seen it twice in 10 years. Both over money and this was in sleepy Chiang Mai. The first time it was a farang and his girlfriend and the second time it was a Ladyboy trying to get money from a customer.

I love free entertainment. People watching can be extremely interesting. In the states my neighbor and his wife would get in some doozy fights.  I could have set it up on PPV and made some cash.  It was really funny when the police would arrive and they would instantly behave like a loving couple.  Sadly people will try and endure toxic relationships.

Here it's pretty sedate unless you live near the neighborhood drunkards.  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you farm celery?  It's probably the farmer in you coming out.  Fresh from the farm garden is not real gourmet food as there is no gourmet cook there.  Gourmet is quality plus preparation.  Gourmet cooks are only found in gourmet restaurants same with good wine.

Not so. We grow a fair amount of produce in the garden. My wife was a chef in a restaurant when I moved here and is an exceptional cook of Thai food. I also consider myself as a bit of a gourmet cook and can cook dishes to restaurant standard from a number of diverse countries.

Lunch today, amongst other things, was some amazing baby pak choi, from the garden, cooked in a delicious Thai sauce.

21 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Number one method to get my farang wife off. Strawberries hand dipped in chocolate, frozen the popped into her mouth. Great female aphrodisiac. Probably why Americans don't get it.

The only thing that got my farang wife off was the removal of any limits on her charge card.

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

For me it is not so much that I dislike other expats as it is that I simply can’t find much to like about them.  We have nothing in common and they have no qualities I find entertaining, enlightening or admirable.  I can converse with almost anyone for an hour or so but I would not be the least bit disappointed if I never saw them again.????

finally something we can agree on   ????

Just now, Nyezhov said:

The only thing that got my farang wife off was the removal of any limits on her charge card.

It's a common theme on TV, Americans seem to have a hate hate relationship with their wives. I've never been there and never had the pleasure of an American woman, so can't really comment, but my British wife is not only stunning but a great wife too. I won't have a bad word said about her.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Schedule an appointment with your psychiatrist ASAP.

Permanently discharged. I admit Im crazy so I got points for insight. Insight into condition. Not crazy then, because I know I am.

Archived