Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Schedule an appointment with your psychiatrist ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Not crazy then, because I know I am

For me, the appointment is the best 300 baht I spend a week. Get a good inside look at the Thai side of things from a professionals point ????

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

Well you called her a wife. How much worse can you say.

There you go being all American again. Still married to my English wife after 30+ years. Mailed her recently to say that I was coming back for a couple of weeks, shortly. She got all excited and giddy. Messaged her again last week to say that I wouldn't be coming back after all. Haven't heard from her since.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not so. We grow a fair amount of produce in the garden. My wife was a chef in a restaurant when I moved here and is an exceptional cook of Thai food. I also consider myself as a bit of a gourmet cook and can cook dishes to restaurant standard from a number of diverse countries.

Lunch today, amongst other things, was some amazing baby pak choi, from the garden, cooked in a delicious Thai sauce.

I'm a great cook and have a clay floor pizza oven, espresso maker, stand mixer, fine cutlery, hand blown glasses, Steamer, convection oven, 3 rice/fuzzy logic slow cookers chest freezer, available farmers markets.  50 baht for giant bag white strawberries and buy oranges air freighted from Amphur Fang CM.  But I don't make Baked Alaska.  I don't BBQ Japanese eel.  I don't make Italian cheese cake or make my own ice cream or chocolate mousse or cheese souffle, Croissants or Italian salami.  Nor do I make aged for two years cheese or Italian wine to have with my fresh pasta.  I go to a restaurant when I want gourmet food cooked by a professional chef.  My wife makes great soup when I'm sick.  I think chef means graduated from a culinary institute and able to run the kitchen from purchasing, hiring and scheduling and all of the things that go into running a large professional kitchen.  Too many times chef is confused with cook.  Even That druggy Anthony Bourdain graduated from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America).

27 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sorry to hear you peaked early on, I was 50 before I peaked. Some of us aren't quitters. ahahaha

Believe me, I enjoyed it at the time, but it was of it's time.  I met my late first wife and become sensible and probably more boring.  

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

Prior to living in Thailand I traveled to many countries and I've always noticed groups from the same nations sticking together. I guess it's natural to want to remain with the familiar than venturing to the unknown, probably why people like expat clubs in the various places I've lived. There is nothing wrong with that. But with me, I always thought why spend time with those that grew up in the same hemisphere that I did ? I mean the whole point of travelling to me was to learn something new. I usually traveled alone (same reason) and tended to stay away from tourist bars, restaurants etc. It forced me to open up and learn on my own. If I had want to interact with expats I would of stayed home and I feel that way today.  

There is a huge difference between tourists and expats.

Many tourists are ignorant, but that is not really surprising because they don't live here for years. Most of the time I try to avoid tourists.

So that leaves Thais and expats who live here all the time. I do business with Thais and talk friendly with many of them. But I can't say I have a real Thai friend (except my Thai girlfriend). I think the cultures are just too different.

I have a couple of friends in the expat community, most of them live here for many years. One of them is from my home country, others from around the world, but all are westerners. I guess the reason is we have a big part of similar background and no "exotic" culture differences.

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Not so. We grow a fair amount of produce in the garden. My wife was a chef in a restaurant when I moved here and is an exceptional cook of Thai food. I also consider myself as a bit of a gourmet cook and can cook dishes to restaurant standard from a number of diverse countries.

Lunch today, amongst other things, was some amazing baby pak choi, from the garden, cooked in a delicious Thai sauce.

Just don't get this growing your own stuff business, not while there is a perfectly good market down the road. 

38 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Is that a common event where you live?  Been here quite a few years and haven't seen it.  Could be an entertaining event if I had a nice view and a drink in my hand. 

Saw a naked Thai woman chasing her Farang boyfrend with a 3 foot long 2 by 4 down a street at 9PM in Jomtien.  It was close to that clothing optional hotel.  Does that count?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is a huge difference between tourists and expats.

Many tourists are ignorant, but that is not really surprising because they don't live here for years. Most of the time I try to avoid tourists.

So that leaves Thais and expats how live here all the time. I do business with Thais and talk friendly with many of them. But I can't say I have a real Thai friend (except my Thai girlfriend). I think the cultures are just too different.

I have a couple of friends in the expat community, most of them live here for many years. One of them is from my home country, others from around the world, but all are westerners. I guess the reason is we have a big part of similar background and no "exotic" culture differences.

Some expats are always going to be tourists..

45 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Number one method to get my farang wife off. Strawberries hand dipped in chocolate, frozen the popped into her mouth. Great female aphrodisiac. Probably why Americans don't get it.

Although both chocolate and strawberries have been around for a long time, it was not until a woman named Lorraine Lorusso combined the two in the 1960s that the decadent chocolate covered strawberry was created. Lorraine worked at a small gourmet store called the Stop N’ Shop in Chicago.

http://americandreamcakes.com/wordpress/the-history-of-the-chocolate-covered-strawberry/

I guess you are copying another American invention.

36 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Is that a common event where you live?  

My first Thai gf ran her American husband over with her car in a fit of rage, then reported him for overstay, he was jailed, then deported with a broken arm, leg, collarbone and ribs.

Second Thai gf, chased me when she got drunk, naked and with a machete, then she fell asleep, woke up and couldn't tell me why she had been angry.

Thai lady I married, grabbed a rock from the side of the road, tried to hit me with it, another day she attacked me with a knife, her violence appears to have been drug related.

So it's fairly common where I live.

Probably my fault for choosing the sort of Thai woman I associate with.

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Just don't get this growing your own stuff business, not while there is a perfectly good market down the road. 

True, but there's something existentially satisfying about eating food that you have grown yourself. Can't really explain it, purely psychological but, to me, it really does taste better.

Also, gardening is my wife's passion and I know that it's free from chemicals.

14 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Good luck with that in Thailand.

How many Michelin star restaurants in Thailand?

1 star
Bo.lan, Canvas NEW, Chim by Siam Wisdom, Elements, Gaa NEW, Ginza Sushi Ichi, J’aime, Jay Fai, L’Atelier de Joel ,Robuchon, Le Du, Ruen Panya NEW (MINBURI), Methavalai Sorndaeng NEW, Nahm, Paste, Pru (PHUKET)
R.Haan NEW, Saawaan NEW, Saneh Jaan, Suan Thip NEW, Savelberg, Sorn NEW, Sra Bua by Kiin Kin
Upstairs Mikkeller

2 stars
Gaggan
Le Normandie
Mezzaluna
Suhring

https://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/here-are-all-michelin-star-restaurants-thailand-2019

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My local Thai market doesn't sell cannabis (yet).

I've been fairly successful cloning mint (for the Mojitos)

The Bell pepper seeds sprouted then most promptly died, I've got three left out of 15 planted.

It's just another (mainly pointless) hobby to while away the time, like posting on TV.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My first Thai gf ran her American husband over with her car in a fit of rage, then reported him for overstay, he was jailed, then deported with a broken arm, leg, collarbone and ribs.

Second Thai gf, chased me when she got drunk, naked and with a machete, then she fell asleep, woke up and couldn't tell me why she had been angry.

Thai lady I married, grabbed a rock from the side of the road, tried to hit me with it, another day she attacked me with a knife, her violence appears to have been drug related.

Just to clarify BMT......... was it you, or the 2nd Thai GF that was naked........ it is just that the wrong answer will leave me with images that could prevent me sleeping....????

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Although both chocolate and strawberries have been around for a long time, it was not until a woman named Lorraine Lorusso combined the two in the 1960s that the decadent chocolate covered strawberry was created. Lorraine worked at a small gourmet store called the Stop N’ Shop in Chicago.

http://americandreamcakes.com/wordpress/the-history-of-the-chocolate-covered-strawberry/

I guess you are copying another American invention.

My mother used to coat strawberries with chocolate, when I was a kid in the late 50's. Guess it's another invention that the Americans have nicked from the British and claimed as their own. Light bulb and jet engine to name but 2.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well I was going to say something along the lines are you sure it's not you?  

I had a colleague in the states who used to blame all the women that he had issues with.  One day we were on a business trip and on the plane I said are you sure it's not you?  He called me a Fkr jokingly but admitted later it was likely him.  Still great friends today

6 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

Just to clarify BMT......... was it you, or the 2nd Thai GF that was naked........ it is just that the wrong answer will leave me with images that could prevent me sleeping....????

Her, I can still remember it like yesterday, chased me twice round the garden.

Really good make-up sex when she recovered.

@Jafo, I can pick the 1 violent psycho out of a room with 100 women, I don't know how or why, but I want them and they want me, strange but true. I still have to pay of course.

2 hours ago, nausea said:

If you come to TVF you're mostly desparate (excluding those who come here for visa advice), you're either outside the country (longing to be here) or living here and have nothing better to do. I came here cos I was sick, bed-ridden, and it was a way to pass the time. A person with a life does not spend a lot of time on TVF, believe me.

Sheesh... tell me something I don't know.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

My mother used to coat strawberries with chocolate, when I was a kid in the late 50's. Guess it's another invention that the Americans have nicked from the British and claimed as their own. Light bulb and jet engine to name but 2.

You had strawberries in the 50s?  We lived on twigs and grass in my house, you must have been one of those rich kids with shoes and a coat? 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

You had strawberries in the 50s?  We lived on twigs and grass in my house, you must have been one of those rich kids with shoes and a coat? 

My gran grew them in the garden.

5 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

'Pick your own' places were all over France and the UK in the 50s and 60s, my family saw it as a cheap day out, we always took a picnic. Always a cheap seasonal fruit.

Just now, BritManToo said:

'Pick your own' places were all over France and the UK in the 50s and 60s, my family saw it as a cheap day out, we always took a picnic.

Bloody hell,  international travel as well.  I'm surrounded by rich people. We had days out at the local rubbish dump. You could pick up some nice free stuff on a good day. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

we had to eat my Gran to survive.  She tasted like old boots. 

my gran was a gypsy and had some very strange eating habits. My uncle was a bedwetter until well into adulthood so, to cure him, she made him eat a mouse pie. Lived into her 90s.

3 hours ago, nausea said:

If you come to TVF you're mostly desparate (excluding those who come here for visa advice), you're either outside the country (longing to be here) or living here and have nothing better to do. I came here cos I was sick, bed-ridden, and it was a way to pass the time. A person with a life does not spend a lot of time on TVF, believe me.

I'm a house husband.  Wife works at a factory in the daytime and I take care of the house, laundry, cooking, dog walking and updating the computers and such.  We go out 3 times a week and I shop twice a week and go out daily for walks and chatting with the locals and at the foreign beer pub that's too expensive for most expats doing the income method.  I'm fine with the change from rambling boy to house husband.  But it does give me time to read Thai Visa. 

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

'Pick your own' places were all over France and the UK in the 50s and 60s, my family saw it as a cheap day out, we always took a picnic. Always a cheap seasonal fruit.

That is one of the few things I miss from "home".

I picked strawberries last time maybe in 1985. I guess I eat at least double of what I put in my basket.

Deep red and delicious - I guess that is why I was never exited about (half) white strawberries in Thailand.

Archived