Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

39 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am genuinely NOT trying to have a go at you, but aren't you one of "them"?

If not, how are you different?

I walk across to the other side of the street to avoid them.  If we were alike we would both walk to the other side of the street and be on the same side again. 

But what really makes me different?  I don't like farmers.  One of my exwives in America was a farmers daughter and her large family all farmers.  Deadly boring, uneducated illiterate bumpkins.  I don't like the culture or housing or morals.  I asked any women I met in Thailand if her family had a farm or were farmers.  If so I ran away.  However I think most TV posters have wives and families involved in agriculture and we have nothing in common.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You're American. It is axiomatic your nation looks down on all others, ever since you made tea in Boston Harbour.

And rightfully so. We took down the worlds Big Dog and shoved a Merkin down Georgie's  Hanoverian gullet, not the first time we slapped around the bleeding Hun in our rise to the top.

But dont ever think, Mon Ami, that I have nothing but kind words for my fellow Americans, neh?

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your last sentence is a rejigging of Groucho Marx's observation on clubs.

His material is eternal. I can do Georgie Jessel and Buddy Hackett too.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I like you and your entertaining off the wall posts. Having said that, if we actually met face-to-face, we would probably find our egos mutually boring.

Geez dude, whats an Ego? is that the thing my ex wife uses to hang my balls from her rear view mirror? 

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As my gf always says, buying a woman a drink in a bar is the start of negotiations for buying the woman for the night. In this case she charged 150bht, that's lady drink price for a hooker.

The ultimate question is not whether, but how much. So much valuable time is wasted in courtship. Just lay a wad of C-notes on the bar and see how many it takes to get a supermodel on her knees  behind the dumpster.

I've been in a few places in Thailand, I'm not a boozer and I'm not much into nightlife or the more "exotic" offerings of Thailand. But strangely enough I quite like Pattaya ... plenty of good shopping malls, good restaurants, cinemas and a few decent gyms, and most importantly, no burning season to contend with. So I can spend a couple of months there quite happily. I don't interact with that many farangs, except the guys in my gym (not a cheap one) who with few exceptions are former professionals with decent incomes. There are many expats worth avoiding here, and many criminals involved in ripping off foreigners, but if you don't engage with them and hang out in half decent places you'll be fine.

But if you mention you are living there you are immediately written off as a low life degenerate who is probably on Interpol's wanted list. I haven't been on that list for years! 

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was sitting in a bar having a beer.  An expat that I'd seen before bought the bartender a drink.  She took out a bottle and poured herself a shot and drank it and added 150 baht to the guys bill.  He went on for 30 minutes that the liquid in the bottle was not booze and he'd been ripped off. 

I'd had a drink from the same bottle an hour before and it was Thai whiskey.  I knew the bartender for 5 years and she was a nice lady and never ripped off anyone.  I'd only slept with her once so it wasn't an emotional attachment. 

The guy was a jerk who thought he knew something about Thai women but he had not a clue. 

I find for the most part expats are jerks and I walk to the other side of the street to avoid them. 

Your last sentence. I have only met three obvious bad expats, and I have been here for 13 years, and met many of them and known some for a few years who are all decent. Have never met any whose wife I disliked.

Maybe a lot has to do with your attitude to them. Try treating them the way you would like them to treat you.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence. I have only met three obvious bad expats, and I have been here for 13 years, and met many of them and known some for a few years who are all decent. Have never met any whose wife I disliked.

Maybe a lot has to do with your attitude to them. Try treating them the way you would like them to treat you.

Most people I meet are quite normal, intelligent and can enjoy a well balanced conversation with. 

But, there are a disproportionate number of whack-jobs in Thailand, sometimes friends of friends who are just bitter and poisonous, they think all Thai women can be purchased, that all men are dogs, that all Thai’s are cheats etc... they think they have the only opinions which matters, if others don’t agree with their bitter diatribe they must be liberal lovies or shrinking violets, snow-flackes or millennials...  in reality people who think like this are beyond hope, as soon as I recognise these characteristics in someone in meet I give them a wide birth - life just easier without these people in it. 

However, on ThaiVisa.com its sometimes fun to engage these muppets. 

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Have never met any whose wife I disliked.

Virtually all the animosity that I've felt in Thailand has come from friend's wives. They can be jealous bitches. If someone else's husband has more status than their husband, be it looks, personality, wealth, jai dee, age, or whatever, the knives are out.

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

they think all Thai women can be purchased,

Enough can be rented, not sure about purchased, I've never wanted one that long.

(In the recent past, a surprising number of Thai actresses and singers were for rent)

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, there are disproportionate number of whack-jobs in Thailand, sometimes friends of friends who are just bitter and poisonous, they think all Thai women can be purchased, that all men are dogs, that all Thai’s are cheats etc... they think they have the only opinions which matters, if others don’t agree with their bitter diatribe they much be liberal lovies or shrinking violets, snow-flackes or millennials...  in reality people who think like this are beyond hope, as soon as I recognise these characteristics in someone in meet I give them a wide birth - life just easier without these people in it. 

I can't recall meeting anyone as you describe in real life. Shed loads on TV though.

46 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

It's because 99% of TV 'members' are houllier than thou. No-one drinks, smokes, take drugs etc, they visit temples and night markets and roadside eateries for their 'social lifes'. They read, write and eat noodles everyday, usually with chopsticks. All their visa's are intact and their wife's are trainee lawyers. They are way ott with their politeness towards Thai's (we're just guest here remember) and they wai up to a hundred times a day.

The average 'member' on here is so straight and dull, I thank my lucky stars they never frequent bars in their white socks, speedo shorts, bum bags and 10 year old sandles.

You know who you are.

I am the 1%-er chap.....And can sing.....????

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Enough can be rented, not sure about purchased, I've never wanted one that long.

You do need to trade them in when they wear out. I told my xgf that when she has her 24th birthday this month, she will have finally aged out for me after 5 years. Time for a new one.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I can't recall meeting anyone as you describe in real life. Shed loads on TV though.

Unfortunately I have....  but not as many as on TV... that said, sometimes the sarcasm and trolling on TV is not as easy to identify. 

I often suspect some of the comments I read would never be made if two posters who disagreed were to meet and discuss a topic face to face. 

Saying that, half the tools I read on TV.com I’d just agree with and walk away... no real point in entertaining half the opinions I read on here. 

Great questions. Been reading the anger that some of the members here lash out with, thinking about it.

Anytime someone berates another in an online anonymous format, it looks like an unhappy person who feels the urge to be heard, childish though their manners may be.

They are easy to identify- they go to the negatives: "I don't like this/that" "You don't know what you are talking about."

They are simply unhappy people.

Probably alcohol often plays a role, it is a depressant of course.

Then there are the happy, helpful people, who compliment each other and offer genuine information. They tend not to brag or insult.

These are the people who I find interesting.

There are plenty of good happy people here, and certainly no shortage of malcontents.

Remember, what someone says has nothing to do with you, and everything with them. Feel pity for the fractured souls.

Imagine, how would you like to be in their shoes?

2 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Then there are the happy, helpful people, who compliment each other and offer genuine information. They tend not to brag or insult.

These are the people who I find interesting.

There are plenty of good happy people here, and certainly no shortage of malcontents.

Excellent.

If everyone claims that other expats are jerks and they walk on the other side of the street to avoid them then there must be a lot of expats walking around trying to avoid each other. I'll take a look down the street and see if there are any expats avoiding each other although it's unlikely I'll see any because I'll be trying to avoid them.

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Posts #1 (OP) and #2 clearly outline the differences between us.. 

One poster is exposed to a certain ‘level’ and his experience is generally positive, his opinions of others reflect this, his posts tend not to be bitter and so negative, he has difficulty understanding why ‘some’ others are so bitter and twisted when generally everyone around him are pretty decent people. 

Another has been exposed to what may be considered a ‘sub-level’ of both Ex-Pat and Thai and his opinions reflect this, he may be considered a ‘gritty realist’ which in his circle is fair enough, he is highly cynical lacks the incentive and personality to rise to what many others consider normal, he has difficulty understanding and accepting why ‘some’ others never face the issues he has when he is surrounded by those who conform to his confirmation bias.

Neither poster is wrong, both posters are a product of the environment in which they have placed themselves.

As @richard_smith237 suggested, two opposing stories can both be correct.  One person can have great life here and another have a completely miserable one.  One person can meet nice people and another very bad people.  Thailand is very much like the hooker selling a girlfriend experience, she will give you whatever you are looking for.  In my experience, good or bad is pretty much up to you.

anyone who knows me knows i rarely attack anyone on this forum. if attacked I might point out how rude it is without any addition comments.

that's because that is how I want to be treated.

remember that all you filthy TV expat criminals, dregs of society, negative, prone to break the law, worst of the worst, Thai-bashers, leeches, and 'low-life from other countries who couldn't make it at home types. :cheesy:

59 minutes ago, Essex Reject said:

It's because 99% of TV 'members' are houllier than thou. No-one drinks, smokes, take drugs etc, they visit temples and night markets and roadside eateries for their 'social lifes'. They read, write and eat noodles everyday, usually with chopsticks. All their visa's are intact and their wife's are trainee lawyers. They are way ott with their politeness towards Thai's (we're just guest here remember) and they wai up to a hundred times a day.

The average 'member' on here is so straight and dull, I thank my lucky stars they never frequent bars in their white socks, speedo shorts, bum bags and 10 year old sandles.

You know who you are.

Well it's definitely not me for the most part. Another thing, do you really think we are guests here? I don't.????

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

They usually have two identical bottles side by side , one with alcohol and the other with water , the "jerk" was probably right about getting ripped off

In the bar I frequented the most years ago, the tequila and vodka bottle's were Lao Khao.

I have met over time some wonderful people- maybe about 3 or 4 I will call friends and go eat with them. I have met over time some of the worst asshats I could imagine and some of them were truly dangerous. I have had so-called friends knifed and saw a whole lot more than that and I was pretty mild. In my formative years/time I strayed onto the dark side a lot and a number of the people I met was truly disgusting; most likely at that stage of my life, I myself was inclusive of these numbers in being disgusting. 

Deep down inside I am not like this but I found when you hung around the wrong people, you just got tarred with the same brush and with the rules being very loose here, it was easy just to go with the flow. These days I am very quiet, I do not drink, I do not whore, married, watch Netflix heaps and led a very boring life. I keep away from the general expat now mainly due to the reason I do not want to get embroiled with other problems because most people do have problems and you get to know them too well, things can become difficult. Between wives, there is too much 'face' shown (like who has got the biggest gold nugget on) and just too much peacocking for my likes.

I have seen enough of the dark side of this place to fill a novel but truly do understand, it is much safer to keep to yourself, not have a large circle of friends and not stand out too much. I hate to say, there a plenty of very, very bad dudes here and I am much more afraid of them than a Thai. 

I am happy I am away from all of this. Village life suits me a lot better but there are a lot of jerks around and I myself, am most likely included in this group of jerks as well.

If you come to TVF you're mostly desparate (excluding those who come here for visa advice), you're either outside the country (longing to be here) or living here and have nothing better to do. I came here cos I was sick, bed-ridden, and it was a way to pass the time. A person with a life does not spend a lot of time on TVF, believe me.

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Well it's definitely not me for the most part. Another thing, do you really think we are guests here? I don't.????

I couldn't give a monkey's what others label me as. I know that I have retired to Thailand, I have made my home here, learned the language, have a family here and will die here. To both the Thai authorities and expats: Label me as you wish, my home is Thailand, and that won't change.

Archived