Why do TVF Expats so dislike other expats?

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, nausea said:

If you come to TVF you're mostly desparate (excluding those who come here for visa advice), you're either outside the country (longing to be here) or living here and have nothing better to do. I came here cos I was sick, bed-ridden, and it was a way to pass the time. A person with a life does not spend a lot of time on TVF, believe me.

It's a good place to hide from the sun.

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Virtually all the animosity that I've felt in Thailand has come from friend's wives. They can be jealous bitches. If someone else's husband has more status than their husband, be it looks, personality, wealth, jai dee, age, or whatever, the knives are out.

Not in my experience.

That is a lie , I did not start a thread about punching a girlfreind in the face , let along brag about it .
  You got fooled by the old bottle swapping trick and you are a liar .
(I am not being abusive , I am stating facts , Marcus lied about me starting a thread about punching a girl in the face), 
Probably his age and forgets things, don't be too hard on him.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There's a lot more than 100,000 foreigners living in Thailand.

This is an old wiki, but in 2010, there was 2.5 million foreigners living in Thailand, and I am sure that doesn't take into account the hundreds of thousands living here on tourist visas. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Probably his age and forgets things, don't be too hard on him.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree, but you must admit that it's beyond the pale to punch a girl in the face.

Also, I've never seen the bottle swapping trick but a ladyboy once showed me how to change a bottle of Sangsom and a bottle of M150 into a bottle of JD.

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Hi All

I have been a member of TVF for several years now, and I am still a bit shocked at the low opinion that TVF members have of other TVF members in particular and other Thai expats in general.

Over the years, I have read here that other expats are 'criminals', the 'dregs of society', 'negative', 'prone to break the law', the 'worst of the worst', 'Thai-bashers', 'leeches', 'low-life from other countries who couldn't make it at home', Etc, Etc, Etc; I could probably fill an entire book with all the vitriol.

Why is this?

Personally, I am both well-educated and well-off (or, at least well-off enough) and I don't break any laws or cause trouble; objectively-speaking I am the kind of immigrant countries want. I don't really know of any law-breaking on the part of my friends and/or acquaintances. I don't really know of any of my friends and/or acquaintances treating their wives/GFs badly, even when they don't have the best of a relationship. I don't really know of any of my friends and/or acquaintances causing trouble or disrupting Thai society, yet they (and all expats) get slammed on TVF regularly. Yes, there is the occasional miscreant, but I have read that there are over 100,000 foreigners living in Thailand, so you have to expect a few, but not to the level sprinkled through TVF.

Is it the anonymity afforded by TVF to slag off other people? A human desire to lash out at others without a good reason? The ability to speak without consequence? The lack of visual, discernible reaction(s)? The fulfillment of one's day-dreams to 'give someone hell'? Am I simply not meeting the bad ones? Is it simply me, or do others see the glee in people's words when they are attacking others? Do you personally know some of these 'law-breakers' and/or 'bad people'?

My view is that Thailand's expats are generally well-off, well-behaved, cause few problems, and are (for the most part) an asset to the Kingdom.

Agree? Disagree? Why? 

Interesting post. I will follow it.

Personally I know a couple of law breakers and bad people. But as long as they leave me alone I leave them alone.

And even if I wanted to do anything against the bad once, what would I do? Go to the next police station and report them? I don't think that is a good idea.

If you think you don't know any of these people maybe think again. A long time ago in a country far away I had no idea about drugs. And I would have sworn that I didn't know anybody with drug experience. And then I met a nice girl (at least at that time I thought she is nice) with drug problem. So what should I do? So I asked some of my innocent friends if maybe they know someone who knows someone who knows about drugs. The reply was shocking to me. I knew a couple of people who were (ex) heroin and cocaine users. I just didn't know. And I didn't think I, the good guy, would know such people.

There is a good chance you know a couple of bad guys - but you don't realize it.

Back to TV: There are positive and negative people everywhere. And a few smart people and lots of idiots. I think TV is not much different in that perspective.

In some forums, i.e. the motorcycle section, seem to be lots of helpful people. In others, like the IT forum are a few experts, many who think they are experts, and some idiots. But as far as I see they are all harmless.

Here in this forum it is what at least I expect. Think about that idiot with the stupid smile at the end of the bar. What do you expect would he say if you would ever talk to him? Read TV and you get your answer...

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There's a lot more than 100,000 foreigners living in Thailand.

This is an old wiki, but in 2010, there was 2.5 million foreigners living in Thailand, and I am sure that doesn't take into account the hundreds of thousands living here on tourist visas. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

There's a big difference between foreigners and farangs. There are 2 million immigrant Muslims alone in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Essex Reject said:

It's because 99% of TV 'members' are houllier than thou. No-one drinks, smokes, take drugs etc, they visit temples and night markets and roadside eateries for their 'social lifes'. They read, write and eat noodles everyday, usually with chopsticks. All their visa's are intact and their wife's are trainee lawyers. They are way ott with their politeness towards Thai's (we're just guest here remember) and they wai up to a hundred times a day.

The average 'member' on here is so straight and dull, I thank my lucky stars they never frequent bars in their white socks, speedo shorts, bum bags and 10 year old sandles.

You know who you are.

Reading noodles? Is that the same as reading tea leaves?

A lot of this attitude stems from the "I'm more Thai than a Thai" complex. 

For some reason, so many here try so hard to be more Thai than every other farang.  I laugh at the ones with Thai tattoos that have no knowledge of the tattoo's real meaning. You can't really get citizenship here, so that retirement visa in the passport will still only give you the same rights as a tourist with a tourist visa. 

Also, many here think they know everything Thai, and everything Thailand, most of which they have learned the hard way, I would suggest, or possibly through a bar girl/s. I freely admit I'm always learning here, and I have no problem listening, rather than speaking. 

There's not a great deal of humility out there among the expats.  Everyone thinks they are smarter and richer than the next guy, and my girl is different, and that won't happen to me, the the Thai Government would never do this or that.  ????

The expat community here is an interesting one.   

1 hour ago, Spaniel said:
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the ones I've met appear to be mentally ill, or desperate and trying to steal money off me.

I also don't want to meet their wives, who are clearly only in it for the money, then when the inevitable happens, they either accuse me of telling them lies, or not telling them the truth (you can't win so best never to meet the women) As a result, I stopped telling anyone my address, or handing out my phone number after the first year I was here.

Let me guess.   You spend most of your time in bars?    Because the type of people you described are exactly the type of losers that you will  find in those areas.    My suggestion is to find a different source for meeting people.

I guess it depends on the bars.

Personally I met lots of interesting guys in a few bars in Soi Cowboy. Some run businesses, some were retired, some living here, some came over every couple of months.

I know there are also lot of idiots around in bars, and not only in bars. But it's up to you with which people you mix up.

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I laugh at the ones with Thai tattoos that have no knowledge of the tattoo's real meaning. You can't really get citizenship here, so that retirement visa in the passport will still only give you the same rights as a tourist

Mine says "just visiting".

Screenshot_2019-03-10-17-14-14-picsay.png

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

.... of course you must be right, everyone fails, ...........

It's inevitable, all life is failure else you would never die.

Only the length of time and the ways of failure are different.

If you're really lucky, you die quickly and unexpectedly before you realise/reach your point of failure.

some posts and responses removed.

Keep it civil and dont get personal please.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

47 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

remember that all you filthy TV expat criminals, dregs of society, negative, prone to break the law, worst of the worst, Thai-bashers, leeches, and 'low-life from other countries who couldn't make it at home types.

Hey! What the...

Im insulted, you forgot to add cynical impotent drunken needle dicks to that list!

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's inevitable, all life is failure else you would never die.

Only the length of time and the ways of failure are different.

If you're really lucky, you die quickly and unexpectedly before you realise/reach your point of failure.

Interesting concept that we are all failures because we will all die and if we’re lucky we’ll die sooner or before our point of failure. 

There’s a Samaritans helpline you may find helpful.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Most people I meet are quite normal, intelligent and can enjoy a well balanced conversation with

There are two options:

a) you meet only few people, maybe in selected places, which makes it more likely that they are intelligent.

b) You don't recognize intelligence. Because by definition 50% of people have lower than average intelligence...

For me it is not so much that I dislike other expats as it is that I simply can’t find much to like about them.  We have nothing in common and they have no qualities I find entertaining, enlightening or admirable.  I can converse with almost anyone for an hour or so but I would not be the least bit disappointed if I never saw them again.????

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Your last sentence. I have only met three obvious bad expats, and I have been here for 13 years, and met many of them and known some for a few years who are all decent. Have never met any whose wife I disliked.

Maybe a lot has to do with your attitude to them. Try treating them the way you would like them to treat you.

I went out to a club with an expat and after a few drinks he took off his wooden leg and started dancing with the go go dancers on stage.  Another time one of the charming fellows urinated off the back of a tuk tuk.  Another time an older fellow pooped in a trash can on Soi Buakhow across the street from Noi's bar.  How many do you need?  The Irish taxi driver who tried to kill the groom at a wedding reception? 

53 minutes ago, nausea said:

If you come to TVF you're mostly desparate (excluding those who come here for visa advice), you're either outside the country (longing to be here) or living here and have nothing better to do. I came here cos I was sick, bed-ridden, and it was a way to pass the time. A person with a life does not spend a lot of time on TVF, believe me.

It's a bit too hot and smokey to go out in CM.

I did venture out to the marker for an hour, got some nice bell peppers, strawberries, mushrooms and some limes. But I prefer to sit somewhere cool with an iced drink in the hot afternoon. I also supervising the kids.

I'm always interested to hear what people think a retired guy in his mid-sixties should be doing in the day?

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are two options:

a) you meet only few people, maybe in selected places, which makes it more likely that they are intelligent.

b) You don't recognize intelligence. Because by definition 50% of people have lower than average intelligence...

c) Because those characteristics which are undesirable are easy to spot & avoid.... 

Quite often you can judge a book by its cover.

That said, there are a few characters on here who’s opinions are comically idiotic. I’d like to meet them just to see if they are equally moronic in real life or is it just their trolling forum persona....

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Another time an older fellow pooped in a trash can on Soi Buakhow across the street from Noi's bar.  How many do you need?

I want to party with him! Dude travels all the way to Pattaya, Thailand to get beerblitzed to the point he poops in a trash can on the street? Priceless! I am not worthy! OMG what if he got arrested?

Dude, so you got yourself in trouble in Thailand I hear? Yeah dude, pounded a bunch of Changs and some crunchies off the bug cart, started feeling all buzzed out, ya know, so decided to head down the beach Road where the hot chicks are, I saw a super tall one out there, anyway, barely stumbled out of the Bar with that Aurelus dude, told ya about that wierdo, eh?, all of a sudden felt one on the launchpad, no sense messing up my new Underarmour shorts, hell I barely made it to the trash can before that headless snake started leaving the cave, ya know what I mean, so Im just dumping along and all of a sudden this dude dressed in brown shows up, he has a camera on his head for gods sake, hes yelling, Im trying to cleanse with some ice cream sarnie wrappers and plastic coffee cups next thing I know.......

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I went out to a club with an expat and after a few drinks he took off his wooden leg and started dancing with the go go dancers on stage.  Another time one of the charming fellows urinated off the back of a tuk tuk.  Another time an older fellow pooped in a trash can on Soi Buakhow across the street from Noi's bar.  How many do you need?  The Irish taxi driver who tried to kill the groom at a wedding reception? 

So you think that most Farangs are like the ones you mentioned? Also, for the old, ugly, fat, shirtless Farangs, there will be many more who will keep their shirts on.

Archived