Convert a Visa Exemption/Extension

You can apply for a new Extension using a different reason, ie marriage rather than retirement when the old one is due to expire. 

You cannot convert to a tourist visa, although you can leave Thailand and obtain one nearby.

There are other options too having a Thai wife.

Edited by jacko45k

You must have a t least 15 days permission to stay left on your extension to do a conversion to a Non Imm O, for the purpose of applying for an extension based on marriage (permit, not a Visa) and meet the financial requirements.

You can apply for a Non Imm O ME Visa at the Thai Consulate Savannakhet, based on marriage, without proof of financials.

35 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

1. Is it possible to convert a Visa Exemption/Extension to a Non-O (Marriage) visa without leaving Thailand, say for instance at CW?

Yes - and CW is a good place to do it, as it is reported possible at that office without bribes/agent or unpredictable "extra requirements."

You would need to show all the paperwork needed for a marriage-based extension, wife with you when you apply, plus, if using 400K in the bank, proof that 400K came from abroad.  No seasoning is required on "in the bank" money for that step.

35 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

2. Can you do the same but convert to a standard 60 day Tourist Visa?

No - per above comments - would need to get one of those from a Thai consulate outside the country.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You must have a t least 15 days permission to stay left on your extension to do a conversion to a Non Imm O, for the purpose of applying for an extension based on marriage (permit, not a Visa) and meet the financial requirements.

The above can be processed at Chaeng Watthana Immigration?

I was under impression that no foreign proof of 400000 coming from abroad on first application based on marriage as long as 400,000 was seasoned in your bank for two months on first application. I understand that based on monthly deposits they have to come from foreign source. Can you interpret Ubonjoe?

Not to usurp Ubonjoe's reply but your understanding is correct.  The source of the lump sum doesn't need to be proven but the monthly remittances of, as appropriate, 40,000 or 65,000 must show that they come from a foreign source.  Some remittance services don't reliably transfer the funds from a foreign source but from local partner banks.  SWIFT transfers always show that they are foreign transfers.  These is some discussion of how to get extra paperwork to prove that your transfer was from a foreign source on other threads.  I always use a SWIFT transfer from US-based Fidelity which shows up coded FTT in my account passbook.

Thank you. I now have monthly direct deposits, but won't have 12 months of 50,000, only about 8 because I couldn't get the BKK opened and two incomes changed to be sent to BKK NY. Military one started in 15 dys, but SS took two months to get first deposits. Im hoping Big Jok,s leniency suggestion will allow Non O based on marriage. Married 2 years, but not registered. Should be in next couple months. Extension due in Early October. I know about Lao S METV based on marriage, but very difficult making the long trip to Friendship from CM due to health on a long bus ride. Thanks. I'm getting a better understanding of options with the help of all you kind members of the forum.

2 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Not to usurp Ubonjoe's reply but your understanding is correct.  The source of the lump sum doesn't need to be proven but the monthly remittances of, as appropriate, 40,000 or 65,000 must show that they come from a foreign source.  Some remittance services don't reliably transfer the funds from a foreign source but from local partner banks.  SWIFT transfers always show that they are foreign transfers.  These is some discussion of how to get extra paperwork to prove that your transfer was from a foreign source on other threads.  I always use a SWIFT transfer from US-based Fidelity which shows up coded FTT in my account passbook.

I think you may be mistaken re the 40,000 per month income for the marriage extension.  A foreigner can get a work permit on this type of extension and can use this income to support the 40k per month income test as far as I'm aware. 

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

I think you may be mistaken re the 40,000 per month income for the marriage extension.  A foreigner can get a work permit on this type of extension and can use this income to support the 40k per month income test as far as I'm aware. 

Yes, if one is legally working a Thai job, they can use their Thai income to qualify for a marriage-based extension.  But if not employed in Thailand, and cannot get an income-letter from their embassy, it's the same "show foreign transfer" problem that those on retirement must deal with. 

In addition, some offices insist that the 40K/mo must be "from a state pension" (my experience in Issan in 2018 w/ embassy-letter).  Also, some offices ask for secondary proof of the income-source(s), in addition to one's income-letter or foreign-transfer proof (CM seems to do this frequently).

Edited by JackThompson

OP - i converted a visa exempt entry into a non imm O (retirement).  i assume the process (not the paperwork) is similar for marriage.  on your first visit, you make your application.  on the second visit, you find out if the 'change visa' is approved.  in each case, there is very little wait time.  the change visa desk (i think it is C-1, near the reentry permit desk) is not a busy desk.  so don't expect to wait an hour or two before seeing an IO.