Worms And Bots Via Forums

briley

Hope that the mods are aware of this report:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/106226/storm-w...and-forums.html

It appears that a 'worm' can insert a link to a file into someone's posting that then installs a bot on your machine.

I note that is does ask if you want to install an executable file so the warning to all is never install anything unless you are certain of the source.

I note that is does ask if you want to install an executable file so the warning to all is never install anything unless you are certain of the source.

Thats pretty much a given on any software/links these days, not just forums!

We are aware of this type of threats and we are constantly upgrading the forum software with the latest security patches. As mentioned, never click or install executables from unknown sources. Always run anti-virus with resident shield on.

It's not just unknown sources which can spread viruses (virii?) / worms and trojans. It just takes one person to open to own a file and then it can email the nasty to everybody in their address book.

So - the rule should be: Even if you get an email from somebody you KNOW - be very wary of opening the attachment - what I do when sending an attachment is to mention the file by name and size in the email.

I noticed that it isn't possible to exchange .exe files with Forum members. They have to be sent in .zip format - probably for good reason.

Peter