There is nothing new here,it happens every year,and every year

the authorities say they will stop the burning,but nothing changes,

obviously they are not taking the threat serious enough,how many

people have been arrested for setting the forest ablaze ?,some of

these arsonists need to be arrested,put on trial,if found guilty,

NO 500 THB fines, a prison term should be imposed,to act as

a deterrent.things must change for the majorities health,for

the tourist industry ,that provides jobs for so many,who would

want to come here for holiday with the worst air in the World.

regards Worgeordie

It is something new to have such bad pollution this year.  Its much worse than normal, and so much more dangerous.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aussie11950 said:

Bloody hell. 

EFFECTIVE government action is killing people. 

Yes spray water and give out gloves and food and campaign to reduce fires, effective to save face, but doesn't save lives. 

Is saving face more important to Thai people?

I bloody think so. 

Maybe someone will realise the inefficacy of "saving face" when the heart and lungs have "gone to s..."

There is actually a causal relationship between inner respiratory circulation and the workings of the face.

• Thanks 1

Very useful information!  Thanks. I’ve been trying to learn just how bad the air quality is indoors and am admittedly shocked that the AQI doesn’t change all that much without resorting to a purifier. How do you obtain the AQI reading?  Does the unit itself include a readout?

Here in Udon Thani the air quality today is 153 PPM and is rated hazardous.  Looking at the fire map on FIRMS I can see why.  The entire country is RED..80+% of the country has had fires observed over the past 24 hours.  That little bit of green (where the arrow points) is the long/lat of where I live.  I think my area is green because the farmers have already burned all the nearby sugar cane and some as close as 40 meters from my front door.  Black snow has been falling all week.  Nobody came to our area when the fires were raging and the folks in our village take poor air quality as a fact of life.  Most of them smoke like a chimney as well and care little about long term health.  Maybe they figure they'll get whacked on their motorbike well before they have to worry about self-inflicted health issues.

image.png.2e455c141c7a2da221cf50215500f22c.png

• Like 2

Antonymous, please supply more information on the air purifiers.  I'll get a couple of them today! 

I might need to get a really really huge one that can purify the entire area surrounding my house because my wife refuses to close the front doors!  That is another issue!  Do they come in different sizes?  Our bedroom is 27 SQM and the great room is 96 SQM.  Thanks for the help...I've got keys in hand ready to go!

• Like 1

Too late this year,but what if all those cops manning road blocks

all over Chiang Mai,where sent up in the hills,camping out if need

be,at the start of the burning season,and catch some of these 

arsonists,they are the minority that are causing so many problems,

i cannot imagine how much people with asthma and other breathing 

issues are suffering at this time.

I sleep with the windows open,don't like A/c,when i get up in the

morning clear my throat,and spit out brownish phlegm,the snots

up my nose are like concrete,hard, must be mixing with the  

particles in the air. I bet my house, that next year will be no different,

as it's already been this way for years. it's not a natural disaster that

you cannot foretell.

regards Worgeordie

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

Antonymous, please supply more information on the air purifiers.  I'll get a couple of them today! 

I might need to get a really really huge one that can purify the entire area surrounding my house because my wife refuses to close the front doors!  That is another issue!  Do they come in different sizes?  Our bedroom is 27 SQM and the great room is 96 SQM.  Thanks for the help...I've got keys in hand ready to go!

I'm in Udon also, I relented a few days ago and ordered a unit from Lazada, arrived in two days, made a huge difference dropping inside to 06 last night, so far so good, outside has cleaned up quite a bit today also - thankfully!

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i295288441-s497092725.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm=a2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fore Man said:

Very useful information!  Thanks. I’ve been trying to learn just how bad the air quality is indoors and am admittedly shocked that the AQI doesn’t change all that much without resorting to a purifier. How do you obtain the AQI reading?  Does the unit itself include a readout?

You can by a portable monitor on Lazada to measure PM2.5. They are all pretty good and work much the same. Look for:

Portable Xiaomi SmartMi PM2.5 cost at 1330 bht, including shipping. I have bought a few of these for friends and reccommend them.

Dont waste your money on a purifier with fancy readouts and wi fi connections, ionisation and all that rubbish. Basically they all work by blowing air through a Hepa filter which filters out the 2.5 particulates. Make sure you can get replacement filters or do what I do which is buy sections of Hepa filter and waste an afternoon of your life cutting it to size, fitting it then telling everybody how clever you are saving 100 bht.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fantom said:

You can by a portable monitor on Lazada to measure PM2.5. They are all pretty good and work much the same. Look for:

Portable Xiaomi SmartMi PM2.5 cost at 1330 bht, including shipping. I have bought a few of these for friends and reccommend them.

Dont waste your money on a purifier with fancy readouts and wi fi connections, ionisation and all that rubbish. Basically they all work by blowing air through a Hepa filter which filters out the 2.5 particulates. Make sure you can get replacement filters or do what I do which is buy sections of Hepa filter and waste an afternoon of your life cutting it to size, fitting it then telling everybody how clever you are saving 100 bht.

Thank you very much.  I saw a myriad of units on Lazada but didn’t have a clue as to which one to buy. 

7 minutes ago, fantom said:

Its not just a hepa filter! you will need a  carbon filter to remove smoke odor (google it)

"Dont waste your money on a purifier with fancy readouts and wi fi connections, ionisation and all that rubbish. "

Those numbers are "fancy" because your an old git who doesn't understand them ????

They are PM 2.5 read outs plus temp and humidity etc Those numbers control the auto fan settings in my unit. The one I have is Grunluft (with 4 filters) 3500 baht lazada and is outstanding. Why are people buying hand held read out units when for a few thousand baht more can buy a purifier with the unit built in?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

Its not just a hepa filter! you will need a  carbon filter to remove smoke odor (google it)

"Dont waste your money on a purifier with fancy readouts and wi fi connections, ionisation and all that rubbish. "

Those numbers are "fancy" because your an old git who doesn't understand them ????

They are PM 2.5 read outs plus temp and humidity etc Those numbers control the auto fan settings in my unit. The one I have is Grunluft (with 4 filters) 3500 baht lazada and is outstanding. Why are people buying hand held read out units when for a few thousand baht more can buy a purifier with the unit built in?

We are all entitled to our own opinions. Having a background as an ergonomist measuring air for contaminants in home and industrial and hospital environments I do very much understand the 'fancy' numbers.

A practical consideration for those of us looking to keep a clean indoor environmenti is primarily to remove the PM 2.5 particles. The reality is that every addition to the Hapi filter simply adds cost with diminishing benifit.

Most of the sensors are, in my opinion, a waste of money and a simple portable monitor is all you need to get the vital relative readings in the house or condo so you can see how effective it is.

A further consideration is maintenance of the unit and the cost of replacing filters, you have 4 filters in yours, these all require cleaning and/ or replacing. In practice getting replacements is often a matter of luck.

I note the Grunluft is advertised on Lazada at over 4000 bhat, hope its mood lamp is worth it!  Despite my rude comment it seems to be very good value but getting replacement filters might be a bother.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fantom said:

I note the Grunluft is advertised on Lazada at over 4000 bhat, hope its mood lamp is worth it!  Despite my rude comment it seems to be very good value but getting replacement filters might be a bother.

And ships from S Korea, so would be good for next year ????