Teaching & living in Phuket on salary of 80,000, is it doable?

cynnie40

Hi, I would like to know has anyone any experience of teaching and living in Phuket on a salary of 80,000 baht before tax?

How much tax would be taken every month from 80,000 baht? 

How much would a house and garden that accepts pets be to rent?

Overall, would that pay range cover costs of living comfortably in Phuket? 

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a job at Headstart. Doable, it is a good salary for the region. The villas (2, 5, California and Chao Fa) all have decent homes. The newer ones are more expensive. At 2, 5 and California, you can get them for about 10k a month. 

If your expenses are accommodation and some meals (free lunch), rent a bike, then it is ok.

Avoid the schools. They pay less than 50k.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 8:54 PM, ChasingTheSun said:

The further you get from the west coast, the cheaper your rent.

You can rent a small basic thai style house in the interior of the island, or nearer the east coast, for 10k/month.

A small basic house near to west coast may start at 15k-20k/month.

Where did you find those numbers?

• Confused 1

On 3/17/2019 at 8:38 AM, phuketrichard said:

you can rent a house anywhere on the island for 10-100,000baht/month

You can live very well on that salary UNLESS u like drinking and not sleeping alone

I live a very good lifestyle in kamala for half that. for 2 of us

You could easily live on that salary and less, after tax, and I know a few who do now. 

On 3/16/2019 at 6:57 PM, Puchaiyank said:

As of Match 2019...does this help?

Summary about cost of living in Phuket:

• Four-person family monthly costs: 61,005.26฿ without rent (using our estimator).
  • A single person monthly costs: 17,239.14฿ without rent.
  • Cost of living rank 260th out of 448cities in the world.
  • Phuket has a cost of living index of 47.29.

This is a useful starting point, but remember to add in costs of expenditures that are not covered by that website. They include:

Your health costs

Insurance for your health, accident, property, vehicles

Travel

Pet food and health

Charity/gifts

And that list doesn't include the potentially huge increase if you have a dependent GF/partner, or partake in renting them regularly.

80K before tax is certainly doable and you can live on it comfortably, but it comes down to your desired lifestyle.

Edited by Antonymous
Typos

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Bt80,000 p/m and you're asking this. Are you pulling the piss or just rubbing in the salt. Do you have a Masters in Education? If you do have a M.Ed then why come here? This country is f#####d to teach in. Way too many hoops to jump through set up by a ministry of education with the collective IQ of a newt. Where's the job. I'll apply.:cheesy:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Bt80,000 p/m and you're asking this. Are you pulling the piss or just rubbing in the salt. Do you have a Masters in Education? If you do have a M.Ed then why come here? This country is f#####d to teach in. Way too many hoops to jump through set up by a ministry of education with the collective IQ of a newt. Where's the job. I'll apply.:cheesy:

Perhaps they're looking for someone literate.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2019 at 6:54 AM, ChasingTheSun said:

The further you get from the west coast, the cheaper your rent.

And the safer you are from a tsunami. Even if it doesn't happen, you don't want to worry about it every time there's a rumble somewhere in the world. I was near the beach and found it stressful. Moved to other side. 

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Wow! Good comment. What does it mean? Maybe you could elaborate (that would be the verb not the adjective).????

Not sure what he meant, but I wondered why you would want to apply since you say, "This country is f#####d to teach in. Way too many hoops to jump through set up by a ministry of education with the collective IQ of a newt. "  

Just now, smotherb said:

Not sure what he meant, but I wondered why you would want to apply since you say, "This country is f#####d to teach in. Way too many hoops to jump through set up by a ministry of education with the collective IQ of a newt. "  

Did you not see the laughing emoji? 

On 3/16/2019 at 5:04 AM, tlandtday said:

really no more expensive than pattaya but so many who never visit and read the sex boards seem to think it is prohibitively so lol

I'd have to disagree. I stayed in Phuket for a month and found it noticeably more expensive. Can you live there on 80k baht/month? Sure you can if you don't behave like a crazed weasel.