PSa test no sex for 3 days prior

potless

You have to prepare for a PSA test. I have read articles in the press both in my home country and Thailand and none of them seem to mention this fact. Any sexual activity for 3 days before a test can give a totally wrong result and thus may result in an unnecessary and unpleasant biopsy. I had a test done in the U.K. some years back and as a result. a doctor recommended a biopsy . As I was going away for 6 weeks so it was postponed until my return. I then did my own research and discovered the "no sex" advice. A reading of 4 point 0 is a red flag. I observed the "no sex" advice and had a private test done. A reading of 3 point 2. Went back to the doctor at home and told him the result and he sent me for another test. Result 2 point 8. The original result was 8 point 4 due to not preparing. Biopsy cancelled. Google "preparing for a PSA test" Also Google "prostate biopsy" and you will understand why I posted this. Two U.K. doctors and 3 nurses taking blood samples didnt mention about preparing. I wonder how many men have had a biopsy they didnt need. Give yourself the best chance of getting a reasonably accurate result and mention this to friends and associates to spread awareness. Nothing more to add. 

The medical literature suggests that ejaculation can raise serum PSA by a small amount (not more than about 5%) and the vast majority of patients return to baseline within a day. Its not really that significant.

Of more significance would be prostate infection or inflammation, e.g. due to DRE, prostate massage, receiving anal sex etc.

If you dropped from 8.4 down to 2.8 over six weeks then something else was going on....

9 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The medical literature suggests that ejaculation can raise serum PSA by a small amount (not more than about 5%) and the vast majority of patients return to baseline within a day. Its not really that significant.

Of more significance would be prostate infection or inflammation, e.g. due to DRE, prostate massage, receiving anal sex etc.

If you dropped from 8.4 down to 2.8 over six weeks then something else was going on....

This is correct. One should abstain from all sex (inc. masturbation) for 3 days before a PSA, but if you do not the effect won't be that much. A percentage point maybe.

Even more important is nto to have digital rectal exam prior to the test, rather should be done after. Sometimes it happens that the decision to do a PSA is made only after the rectal exam shows enlargement. If so, should come back a few days later for it. Doing the PSA after a rectal exam will elevate the result.

the other thing to know is that PSA levels do flunctuate, sometimes by as much as 20%, so a high result should always be repeated before taking action based on it.

In addition, lab errors do occur. Another reason to repeat tests that give unexpected results.

That said, the extent of drop you report is more than one would expect so one does wonder if there was some inflammation present at the first test.

Unless it is off the wall high, biopsy would usually not be recommended based on PSA result alone. Rather a combination of factors including how the prostate feels on manual exam and absence of other explanatory factors (like signs of prostatitis or UTI(. . Imaging studies can provide further help.

I had a urine test for a possible infection which proved negative but there could have been other factors of which I am unaware. The doctor did a digital check a week after the initial blood test and found nothing untoward. As Sheryl states, a digital examination before the test may affect the result. What about a bowel movement? Particularly if a person was constipated .Would that not be more disruptive to that particular area? Just curious. The fact remains that my doctor recommended a biopsy that I didnt need. Perhaps another doctor may have taken a different course of action i.e. further tests. As Sheryl states, one test may not suffice. Good luck to Faraday. Hope all is okay. 

Interesting comments and advice, I've had my PSA checked every year for a number of years and it's always fallen within the guidelines, 2 tests back it was slightly elevated and the doctor immediately asked, sex in the last couple of  days - yes, ok come back in 6 months and we will check again but no sex for a few days - PSA level was back down to normal on this test. 

So to get a fair and accurate test - - no sex - OK. 

1 hour ago, potless said:

I had a urine test for a possible infection which proved negative but there could have been other factors of which I am unaware. The doctor did a digital check a week after the initial blood test and found nothing untoward. As Sheryl states, a digital examination before the test may affect the result. What about a bowel movement? Particularly if a person was constipated .Would that not be more disruptive to that particular area? Just curious. The fact remains that my doctor recommended a biopsy that I didnt need. Perhaps another doctor may have taken a different course of action i.e. further tests. As Sheryl states, one test may not suffice. Good luck to Faraday. Hope all is okay. 

You might like to consider a change of urologists.

If you had a urine test for possible infection you must have been symptomatic of an infection? May have had some prostate inflammation.

Sheryl,I didnt see a urologist. Just 2 different U.K. G.P.s. Had a urine flow problem initially. Maybe I should have mentioned that but I tried to keep my original post as short as possible. I dont seek to pan G.P.s as I would not fancy the job myself. I just want raise awareness. I have learned more from your input than the G,P.s. Thanks for that. 

Archived