Three young women from Chaiyaphum store incinerated in horror smash

webfact

25 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I may have been here for too long?
I drive almost every day and see this kind of behavior ten times, twenty times a day;
whether from trucks, coaches or light vehicles, cars, pickups, minibuses

A bit off topic, but I have just come back home from a short trip to the shops. In front of me , 2 young girls on a motorbike laughing and joking - not a problem. Turning right with indicator flashing that they are turning left - definitely a problem.

Why do they not install self cancelling indicators on all new motor bikes?

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

My exact thoughts, if not obscured, then very likely no lights at all.  I see them often near Hua Hin with overloads, no lights and driving like mad men. 

And in the right  hand  lane hogging  it even though they plan to turn right in 10km. Have seen several overturned  also.

10 minutes ago, sambum said:

Turning right with indicator flashing that they are turning left - definitely a problem.

Why do they not install self cancelling indicators on all new motor bikes

Would not help in the situation you just described.

He had already delivered his load of sugar cane to the mill.

Read the article first. He may be totally in the right not that we will ever know.  Tragic waste of life

I would check his tail lights though as this is the main reason that I try avoid driving long distances  at night. A lot of the older trucks tail lights just do not cut the mustard

Now all self appointed TV detectives will marter their brains... 

What did the girls do on the road in that time of the day? Driving, sure, but drunk maybe? Or playing with the mobile? 

Did the truck got rear lights? 

We don't know anything and nobody but the detectives will tell us.... 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, happyaussie said:

No taillights or tail lights obscured by low hanging cane. 

No tail lights! Yes very possible, but please read the report. He had made a delivery so maybe he was empty!!!

RIP the girls

• Like 1

I was working this area late last year on a wind farm project, at night these truck were nigh on impossible to see, very poorly out and slow moving, in fact many of them were the units with basically a lawn mower engine and no lights.  

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

He left the gas station without paying attention to the traffic coming in front of and behind him;
the little car could not avoid this big vehicle that came out under his nose.

as you must be a witness be sure and give your statement to the RTP

Oh - you were not there ?

• Like 2

I don't think it will ever stop, all this carnage on the roads.

It seems to be a national pastime reporting on the severity and the ways injured, of the poor people involved. 

The TV channels coverage and the Police photo shot opportunities would all come to an end.

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

He left the gas station without paying attention to the traffic coming in front of and behind him;
the little car could not avoid this big vehicle that came out under his nose.

You're making it up.

The truck was unloaded it says.

The three passengers were female, it also says.

Same as several other speculative responses from members. 

A small car ran into the back of an empty truck. 

The three occupants were female. 

All three are deceased. RIP.

Edited by dallen52

3 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Yes indeed. I live in "sugar cane" country and currently throughout the day and night there is a continual convoy of these lorries, many towing trailers. At night one has to be very vigilant because many have extremely poor rear warning lights - some with none at all (on the trailer) even after delivery to the factory. I have seen lorries with broken glass casings so there is no red light just a small white light - very confusing in the dark.

• Like 1

I see the thai visa investigation squad already have the driver to blame.

Its unlikely the gas station was on a twisty road. How can the ladies not see unless they weren't looking?

2:45 am it's more likely the ladies were going home from a night out. 

Horrible way to go and a dreadful shame.

At this time of year those roads are frequented by sugar cane trucks from the Nongbualamphu area so it is always wise to use caution. Local inhabitants should be aware of the hazards because some of the routes are single lane and dark at night.

What a tragic end to young lives. My condolences to the families.

9 minutes ago, isaanjohnno said:

Many here are very quick to blame the truck driver- like as if thai women drivers are capable and good drivers.

My money goes on the piss poor driving skills of the  woman driver demonstrable all over Thailand

Yes a lot of you seem to be very quick to blame the truck driver, ... like every time !!! .... Like it makes me wonder if any of you had to have a real job, to earn a pittance of a wage !!! Flogging you Gutz out for the "MAN" for Hours over time !!! ... Just to make ends Meet.

... Still, yes, I have driven that bit of road just twice and YES a REALLY bad and nasty Piece of road, just one lane in either direction I think, .... so with wall to Wall sugar cane trucks, when I was there, all old, and going slow, like the farmers trucks !!! ... Long Low hills, just to slow them down more and make things even worse, .... Very frustrating, and easy to just lose it, put you foot down and try to over take in frustration, ... and just hit one of them, or one coming the other way, .... I think, even if you were not drunk and on your phone. ... 

4 hours ago, outsider said:

Exactly! All the accident, air-crash, forensics and crime-scene investigators in TVF, together with their superpowers (especially the ability to see and judge without ever being on the site of an incident or have all the relevant info) are so quick to vilify the truck driver. Sure, Thai drivers aren't the smartest of the bunch, but not ALL commercial vehicle drivers are bad.

How do we know if the car wasn't speeding? The driver texting, or just distracted, while speeding? Or perhaps they were intoxicated? Who knows? And, all things being equal, even in the dead of the night with zero illumination at the back of the truck, the car would've been able to stop/avoid the truck IF IT WAS NOT SPEEDING and was going at a speed at which it was able to stop within the distance of its headlights' range (defensive driving 101). Even if the truck did pull out in front of the car without looking, the car could still have avoided the truck if it wasn't speeding. Or at least wouldn't have burst into flames. It would take very, very high speeds for the car to smash into it AND burst into flames.

Still tragic, no matter how we look at it, but I just think it's too premature to point the finger at any one party at this point.

cars fitted with gas in Thailand can and do catch fire without a crash of any kind

All you judges and jurors and experts must be waiting excitedly for every new tragedy. Taking a story from any Thai media source is dodgy at the best of times , but layering it with the instant judgements some of you lot carelessly toss out makes it appalling . Half the exPats I meet in my frequent visits to Thailand are nuts anyway from living in Thailand and it's easy to understand why,  but giving a platform to some of them to cast judgment and become instant experts on everything is unadvisable. 

May those young ladies Rest In Peace .. their suffering is over , but for their families the pain of loss is beyond bearing. 

6 hours ago, happyaussie said:

Agree.

2:45 AM.

Even if they have lights they are often worse than a bicycle cat's eye.

Crazy dangerous night rides.

Even during the day the damned sugar cane transports are dangerous.