After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Any similar bad reports at Phuket, I’ve not heard of any?

They don't dare to touch Phuket, the mafia is strong there and tourists is the main income for many of the locals.  

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

As someone who put up the 800k and jumped through the hoops, I have no sympathy.

You don't 'put up 800k' you just keep it in your account for a few months, it's still your money. Under 50s like the OP don't have that easy ride or we'd all be doing that already.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chrisc38 said:

the Air Asia guy asks for 5000 baht for the tickets lol, righteo whatever dude, here's the money go get the tickets.

I think Air Asia had ownership of getting you to another country since you'd done no wrong.

8 minutes ago, jspill said:

You don't 'put up 800k' you just keep it in your account for a few months, it's still your money. Under 50s like the OP don't have that easy ride or we'd all be doing that already.

That is incorrect. Under the new rules you need to not go under one baht from 800K for FIVE months, including THREE months AFTER your annual extension is approved. That means that if you (and some offices are now ordering required bank book check ins THREE months after the extension) then you will then be an illegal. We don't know the exact consequences of that yet, but they can't be good and it's fair to assume it would at least involve an order to leave Thailand or even worse. For the remainder of the year, you must not go one baht under 400K baht. People are guessing the consequences of that would probably mean ineligibility from applying a new extension the next year, although nobody knows yet, and technically such a "violation" would put the expat into ILLEGAL ALIEN status. 

These new rules are very onerous. They mean government oversight of your personal bank account every day of every year as long as you stay here on a bank account application. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, dbrenn said:

ไม่มีปัจจัยยังชีพ translates more directly to 'doesn't have a current occupation'

Are you sure of that?

I read it as 'not enough money for living' nothing to do with occupation.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  Avoid both airports in Bangkok, plus Phuket, Krabi, and Samui.  No bad reports from CM airport, or the other smaller ones (that I've seen), but any air-entry is risky, in comparison to a land-border entry - simply because by land, there is no risk of detention.

I would though alert everyone to something that happened to me round about 2007 or so. Thus was when I was living on a mix of TRs and border hops.

The border xing below Poipet had been opened dunno a year. I was hopping back and forth.

I was stamped out and came back in. There they said they couldnt let me in because I was well over 180 or whatever. At that time it really wasn't easy to get back into central Cambodia. All that was in the village was one gh which appeared more a whorehouse.

What the cops did was cancel my exit and had me cancel Cambodia entry exit. Then they told me to just go find another way out.

I could have easily sorted my way in Cambodia as I'd lived there 93-96 but I'd just come for a daytrip.

So, it was both cool and a bit <deleted>. I ended running down to Penang and was overstay 3 days. My only overstay.

So while no detention, they may well turn you away and you don't want to be in rural Myanmar or Cambodia perhaps if you get turned out.

Really, for so many of you it's obviously, so obviously time to move on. Stop fighting it and then crying about it and being angry and bitter. It was a good thing and now it's done. Pack up and prepare and don't get stuck with possessions in country.

• Like 2

It's obvious if one is under 50 and staying in Thailand on  exempt entry or Tourist Visa- they are looking carefully at you.

The purchase of the Elite Visa makes everything go away and allows entry on a long term expensive-Tourist Visa with extensions  for 5 years.  At no point does anyone care about money to live on ; where the  applicant gets their funds or how they plan on supporting themselves while in Thailand.

It's just like the agent system- pay an agent   x amount and everything that was a problem becomes cleared up quickly.

@jingthing

You state:

offices are now ordering required bank book check ins THREE months after the extension

Please cite this source.

How is this done? Especially where?

First personS anecodotes please

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I think he said he had no need to earn an income, could be independently wealthy,  

Yes, could be, I was just responding to this post:

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Sorry to hear about your experience. You sound like a digital nomad so you have been earning money abroad and spending it in Thailand.

My point being that if he is a "digital nomad" and most of his time is spent working in Thailand, then, well, he isn't earning money abroad...  so many have difficulty with the fact that digital nomads are in fact working in Thailand....  they are not working "remotely"

It has been very clear Don Muang Airport is there to avoid when living like this in Thailand (and not speak Thai to Thais who studied English as they want to show off their horrible skills). Keeps surprising me people still take the risk, that while there is a direct flight from Hanoi To Chiang Mai as well.

Edited by tabarin

10 hours ago, elviajero said:

Virtually everyone is denied under section 12 (2) of the immigration act.

“2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.”

You were not denied for not having money, but for not having an appropriate means (way) of living in the country.

Basically it means if you have money invested in Thailand and/or proof of supporting a thai GF and her family all is good.

You are of no use to Thais living and spending money on yourself. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Sorry to hear about your experience. You sound like a digital nomad so you have been earning money abroad and spending it in Thailand. If Thailand had an ounce of sense it would make efforts to legitimize your types as a net asset to the country. Oh and you speak Thai and aren't some beer-sodden, sexpat cheap charlie - what's not to like? (massive assumptions on my part). 

Good luck with whatever you do elsewhere.

I think you will find that the majority of tourists who visit Thailand do not meet your discription of being beer-sodden, sexpat, cheap Charlie’s and even if some are as long as they comply with the Immigration laws and leave when required what is the problem.

Also Thailand is not the only country that scrutinizes tourists and refuses entry if the IO believes the tourist is not genuine.

I know that it happens in both the UK and Australia.

When my wife visited Australia for the first time un accompanied many years ago she was heavily questioned by a male IO then referred to a female IO who grilled her checked all her clothing in the suitcase including her underwear and asked if she was going to work in the sex industry.

She was eventually allowed to enter and I wrote to the Minister at the time and lodged a formal complaint.

After several weeks I got a reply from a senior person in Immigration quoting various policies and practices but virtually stating that it is the role of the IO’ s to satisfy themselves that the tourist is genuine and is going to satisfy the terms of the visa.

So it seems it’s the role of the IO the world over.

The happy ending is that because a mistake was made on the visa she was able to remain in Aus, gained residency citizenship and a passport and I0’ s in Aus were then always very nice people.

52 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

@jingthing

You state:

offices are now ordering required bank book check ins THREE months after the extension

Please cite this source.

How is this done? Especially where?

First personS anecodotes please

Jomtien definitely.

It's already been well documented by multiple people here.

It is a fact.

You can find this already on this forum including pictures.

You are given a paper ordering you to report in 90 days to show bank book.

Information about non-compliance is not provided.

Jomtien of course has a massive volume of retired expats using the 800K method.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Most countries have a limit on tourist visas and only allowed to stay 180 days. It's the same in Australia and New Zealand all and a lot of other countries. People seem to think that Thailand should be different. At a young age. If he can afford to stay in Thailand so long without working.

He must be wealthy enough to afford an elite visa

Edited by gamini
spelling

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

Virtually everyone is denied under section 12 (2) of the immigration act.

“2. Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom.”

You were not denied for not having money, but for not having an appropriate means (way) of living in the country.

Most countries allow only 180 days as a tourist. Australia is one of them. So why did he and the others on this forum expect Thailand to be any different

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I know exactly who...

6 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Perhaps avoiding DM is a good idea?

4 hours ago, cerox said:

....Also DMK should be avoided.....

Both is around the same cost per year, the ED visa is more hassle to organize each year...

....I would advice people not to get too attached here - not having too much stuff, condo, cars etc. You should be able to leave within a few months if another place becomes much more favorable.

DMK is a no-go and I've been reading about that for ages, it seems.

So many other budget options to arrive, why risk it?

A plus to the ED Visa is you might actually learn something, meet people, ya know, actual bang for your buck ????

It seems the current falang climate tho, is leaning towards exit strategy. But that would be days, not months...

Edited by Happystance

6 hours ago, nightfox said:

Another OP who thinks because he can read and wright Thai is above the law thinking he can live in Thailand with a tourist visa and visa exempt..When will people learn

"Write" Thai , that should be .

• Haha 1