After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The key to understanding what is "really happening," is not to listen to their lies, but watch what their hands are doing - stuffing the loot into their pockets.

how will money come to their pockets if they deny entry to foreigners?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

"i had to renew the visa every three months or something ridiculous so i just stopped doing it" - pretty much sums it up.  If you want to go somewhere, stick to their rules

Your last sentence, not necessary, you might not agree with certain rules and be able to find a way round them.

10 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The same system that alerts on 6 VE entries does not alert on 3 SETVs or 1 METV, so I doubt it was set in place to prevent tourists from staying longer than 180 days a year. More likely it is there so long term tourists have to get tourist visas and prove they have means to support themselves, which does make sense.

It clearly isn’t to prevent tourists staying longer than 180 days. If they wanted to do that they would pass another regulation limiting the time to 180 days. That is unlikely to happen — until/if their system is able to keep count — as it caused too many problems when they tried that before when IO’s had to make a manual count.

As I said it’s s guide to alert IO’s for them to them use their discretion to decide whether or not to allow entry.

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

See attached.

2014 visa run announcement.jpg

cool so it took them 5 years to say enforce this on me, i did pretty good right? Most people i know working illegally either have an actual visa (cause they can't border hop they working!) or they are on overstay or came in illegally. They really didn't think about this did they, What i was doing 99.9% of people with a job can't do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, balo said:

Maybe his old aunt was rich and he inherited some money to live on ? 

There are many reasons why people don't have to work.  

Thailand should not deny people who are not stealing jobs from Thais. 

Maybe his Aunt wasn't rich and he is trying to get around the rules?

11 years in Thailand, in his 30's with no job?

That mean's he came to Thailand in his 20's not enough years of work to save anything?

I think being in Thailand for 11 years and getting around the system for 7 years using ED Visa's he knows the rules the same as everyone else.

Surely if he had money, he would have already had an Elite Visa.

Probably working on-line and doesn't want to state that

• Thanks 1

If I were you, I would have insisted on the presence of an official from your Australian Embassy or a lawyer, Believe me they would have let you in and say do not come again for few months, this is the last time.????you were very cool coping with such BS

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

If you say so.  But you'll find that their powers are not as black or white as you seem to think they are.

Hence the 2nd paragraph, immediately after the one you quoted:

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

That said, the IOs at lawless entry-point are not law-abiding, so that may not do you any good.  As a practical matter, one can only avoid those bad points of entry. 

Since there is no supervisory chain active to prevent their law-breaking, they can break the laws with impunity.  

The only reason the majority of entry-points are still lawful, is that the IOs who run them are honest, decent people, who respect their oath to uphold the laws of the country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Also Thailand is not the only country that scrutinizes tourists and refuses entry if the IO believes the tourist is not genuine. 

I know that it happens in both the UK and Australia. 

When my wife visited Australia for the first time ...

... I got a reply from a senior person in Immigration quoting various policies and practices but virtually stating that it is the role of the IO’ s to satisfy themselves that the tourist is genuine and is going to satisfy the terms of the visa.

So it seems it’s the role of the IO the world over.

First, the AU has high wages, and is thus a magnet for travelers planning to work illegally there - hence the nature of the questions your wife was given.

Second, the laws in AU allow IOs this power, as you were informed. 

Thai laws specifically Do Not give IOs that power - likely because of the potential for abuse.  Unfortunately, the law is not being enforced, so they are abusing that power, exactly as those who wrote the law feared they would.

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

... she was able to remain in Aus, gained residency citizenship and a passport

This is the third reason they are more strict.  That will NEVER happen to a foreigner in Thailand, unless they go through a very difficult process, including taking a Thai's job from him/her for 3 years just to apply - and continuing work until granted citizenship.  Even PR is similarly difficult here. 

In essence, Thailand has nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting us stay here and spend our foreign-sourced revenues in their country.  Only corruption money and/or xenophobia explain what this clique of IOs is doing.

2 hours ago, gamini said:

Most countries have a limit on tourist visas and only allowed to stay 180 days. It's the same in Australia and New Zealand all and a lot of other countries. People seem to think that Thailand should be different

See the above.  Thailand IS different than those, for several reasons.

3 hours ago, bander said:

Basically it means if you have money invested in Thailand and/or proof of supporting a thai GF and her family all is good.

Unfortunately, immigration make it extra-difficult to get an extension for marriage to a Thai.  Retirement is easier, though more expensive in terms of locked-up money or mo-transfer amounts.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisc38 said:

What i was doing was actually more expensive than ED visas 11,400 for extensions a year and 6-8 flights out a year + hotels etc, do the math.

Yes - rejecting serial tourists for "not having enough money" is a huge joke, considering the cost of staying this way.  I know, because I used to do it.

2 hours ago, chrisc38 said:

As for paying for the flight out, right, air asia could have paid it, but they could have made me wait in the detention center while they "found me a flight out", for $70 and you know you gonna have to go anyway why be an idiot for? You the cheap one not me, and if you leave it up to them they would send me back to HCMC where i'd have to get a express visa which costs a few hundred, honestly the people who suggested this i hope they follow their own advice.

If everyone refused to pay the airlines, it is possible there would be pressure for immigration to quit doing this.  As-is, the airlines are selling double-priced tickets to the victims - profiting heavily from this racket. 

I would not be surprised to find out there is a kickback scheme - perhaps the Air Asia guy gets a commission he shares with immigration?

But, unless most were to do this, you'd just be pawn-sacrifice martyr, and it would have no effect.  I don't fault you for that move.  

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

For 10x the cost of visas for a year in several neighboring countries, and 5 years all up front?

Because it is a total rip-off, and one could have a lot of fun with that much money, vs burning it on a temporary-stay visa?

Well at least we now know the extent of your wealth... ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In essence, Thailand has nothing to lose and everything to gain by letting us stay here and spend our foreign-sourced revenues in their country.  Only corruption money and/or xenophobia explain what this clique of IOs is doing. 

Try dealing with Australian Immigration.

I know of no country (in which I would like to live) that allows this, maybe you will get away with one or two years but then you will be flagged.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - rejecting serial tourists for "not having enough money" is a huge joke, considering the cost of staying this way.  I know, because I used to do it.

If everyone refused to pay the airlines, it is possible there would be pressure for immigration to quit doing this.  As-is, the airlines are selling double-priced tickets to the victims - profiting heavily from this racket. 

I would not be surprised to find out there is a kickback scheme - perhaps the Air Asia guy gets a commission he shares with immigration?

But, unless most were to do this, you'd just be pawn-sacrifice martyr, and it would have no effect.  I don't fault you for that move.  

With the airport boarders being deemed as "bad boarders" by foreigners, and the cost of the tickets if your are denied, and some conjecture about which country you must be returned to if denied entry, will obviously create a huge increase in land boarder crossings. 

Entering by land still does not 100% guarantee entry, but at least you can walk back to where you came from. 

In the near future, I think we will see long queue at land boarders, with many missing there land transport connections to where they want to go. 

It's going to get messy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Always a mistake, never speak to IOs or other government officials in Thai, they don't like it.

Happy and a bit stupid is the way to go.

Did you miss the part about him  having 7 years with student visa?  They would probably speak to him in Thai to prove he DID go to school. Reports of that often after just one year of Ed visa. Your theory that you like to spew is incorrect a lot. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Did you miss the part about him  having 7 years with student visa?  They would probably speak to him in Thai to prove he DID go to school. Reports of that often after just one year of Ed visa. Your theory that you like to spew is incorrect a lot. 

What makes you think he was learning Thai?

Could have been learning boxing, Buddhism, Chinese, massage, cookery or several other things.

If he were learning boxing, would you expect immigration to have a fight with him?

I'm prepared to listen to all sorts of apologist theories about why he wasn't allowed in, but answer me this, why did they write in his passport he was refused entry for 'not having enough money to support himself' when he had a wallet load of cash on him?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What makes you think he was learning Thai?

Could have been learning boxing, Buddhism, Chinese or several other things.

If he were learning boxing, would you expect immigration to have a fight with him?

But answer me this, why did they write in his passport he was refused entry for 'not having enough money to support himself' when he had a wallet load of cash on him?

He is FLUENT in Thai. Did he buy the new embedded in your head chip to speak it? So for common sense you get an F. On your other post ( again you seem to post a lot but don’t comprehend well) that is the reason stamped into most refusals. Ask Ubon Joe. They don’t even want to SEE or have you show cash!  Even if you have 200k on you like others have reported. They DO NOT give you the opportunity to show cash , they just stamp the same reason again and again. They are extremely rude as well.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

He is FLUENT in Thai. Did he buy the new embedded in your head chip to speak it? So for common sense you get an F.

I know loads of guys who had an Ed VISA for learning Thai, none of them ended up speaking a word of Thai.

They didn't want to learn Thai they only wanted the VISA, the teachers didn't even attempt to teach Thai in those classes.

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What a joke, no wonder legitimate foreigners have difficulty sometimes due to people like the OP!...

"I have lived in Chiang Mai Thailand for 11 years..."

"I then switched to an education Visa which I did for 7 years

"i had to renew the visa every three months or something ridiculous..." 

"A short annoying tomboy officer..."

"I ask her what act i'm actually in violation of as I can't find that in the immigration act....Ok, but you are enforcing it you can't tell me what's the number so i can look it up".

"I say i can enter the country 30 days without a visa what's the problem?"

"...their is nothing to say that i can't come in an out of the country many times..."

"righteo whatever dude, here's the money go get the tickets".

"Me and my mate just laugh"

"I wish I had opened my passport in the office i would have thrown my money on his desk, and told him he could keep it as he looks like he needs it more than i do".

Well, you really don't have an attitude problem, do you? 

You also do not know much about the authority that the IOs have when faced with situations that you presented!

Seems he did just fine for ELEVEN YEARS!!! 

WHO has the attitude prob on this forum lol ?? 

• Like 1