After 11 years in Chiang Mai, I was Denied Entry

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Read Section 22 again carefully. It specifically outlines the procedure for appealing denied entry according to reasons specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act. Although the appeal would almost certainly be denied (but perhaps not if sufficiently publicised before the decision was made) I do not think use of Section 12 (2) for people who are financially secure really stands up to scrutiny for those with visas. The argument that immigration on entry cannot judge someone's financial situation falls down on several grounds. First, it is not immigration's job to make that determination. That is the job of the consulate that issued the visa. Secondly, the immigration official is making clear to denied arrivals that the denial has nothing to do with their financial status, except that it is being used as a pretext to enforce non existent rules.

Section 22 states for persons who has entered and subsequently found to be prohibited under section 12.

11 minutes ago, cerox said:

What happens in June?

HAL9000 comes online 'Dave' in June..they have some psy-ops  AI upgrade coming to the alert system on long-stay foreigners if I read right. You never see people getting so much hassle as DM vs land borders, but that may be about to change if all their system snaps together...

47 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

So they could not have stamped your passport 'denied entry'?  if they had how could anyone get you a new visa?

The stamp is in Thai so I can't read what it says, but the Thai Air staff told me it says that I wasn't allowed to enter because not carrying sufficient cash. When I got my tourist visa in Cambodia and my OA visa in L.A. I showed proof of sufficient money, so that's how I could get a new visa.

The IO who denied my entry told me to get a visa before coming back. There was no intention of permanent denial. They just wanted me to have a visa.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thailand never enacted a law limiting tourist-time in the country

Actually, the way that Thailand is set up there would be no need for a law to be enacted, all acts in Thailand can be supplemented by Ministerial Regulations and also in the case of the Immigration act, police orders.

Ministerial Regulations are extremely difficult to track, even for Thais.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Section 22 states for persons who has entered and subsequently found to be prohibited under section 12.

I don't know which translation of it you are reading but the one I have states this.

"Section 22 : In the instance where the competent official discovers that an alien is forbidden from
entering into the Kingdom
under the provisions of Section 12 , the competent official shall have authority
to order said alien by written notification to leave the Kingdom. If said alien is not satisfied with the
competent official’s order , he ( alien ) may appeal to the Minister."

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't know which translation of it you are reading but the one I have states this.

"Section 22 : In the instance where the competent official discovers that an alien is forbidden from
entering into the Kingdom
under the provisions of Section 12 , the competent official shall have authority
to order said alien by written notification to leave the Kingdom. If said alien is not satisfied with the
competent official’s order , he ( alien ) may appeal to the Minister."

The translation I have used is from Krisdika

25 minutes ago, cerox said:

Interesting "prediction" that someone mentioned about proving residence elsewhere. But if that ever happened I would just go to Vietnam / Philippines. That is why I would advice people not to get too attached here - not having too much stuff, condo, cars etc. You should be able to leave within a few months if another place becomes much more favorable. 

I think even those on retirement or married to a Thai should have "Plan B" ready at all times.  We are not dealing with honest/decent people, in the case of this clique/cancer within immigration.   There are some good IOs who run many entry-points and offices, but can we count on them, and whoever above supports them, to protect our lives here?

A farang-hating clique has taken over both capital-city airports (and some others), pushed crazy re-writes of rules for retirement extensions, begun 1 to 2 months "back door" additional "seasoning" and restricted the "type of income" one can use for marriage-based extensions, and pushed several embassies to stop issuing income-verification letters.  They "fixed" ED extensions a couple years ago, requiring several payoffs to get full-extensions.

All these changes are in one direction only - removing more us from the country and maximizing corruption revenue via agents.  Some are still living here hassle-free - able to meet what their local IO wants - but the noose is tightening.  In the worst offices, the agent-system works, for now, in that they are happy to take the corruption-money - but can anyone feel relaxed when "being allowed to live here" due to a bribe by-proxy?  Only if they have a "Plan B" ready to go.

24 minutes ago, mokwit said:
32 minutes ago, cerox said:

You should be able to leave within a few months if another place becomes much more favorable.

More likely 7 days if you are refused a renewal. 

Always apply 30-days early.  Then you have 37 days to re-arrange your life elsewhere.  That's the best offer on the table with Thailand.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Any similar bad reports at Phuket, I’ve not heard of any?

Yes.  Avoid both airports in Bangkok, plus Phuket, Krabi, and Samui.  No bad reports from CM airport, or the other smaller ones (that I've seen), but any air-entry is risky, in comparison to a land-border entry - simply because by land, there is no risk of detention.

18 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Actually, the way that Thailand is set up there would be no need for a law to be enacted, all acts in Thailand can be supplemented by Ministerial Regulations and also in the case of the Immigration act, police orders.

Ministerial Regulations are extremely difficult to track, even for Thais.

Correct - they would not have to re-write the Immigration Act.  But there is no M.R. or P.O. which limits "time in country before" with respect to Tourist entries.  As well, the Minister could designate a group as inadmissible under specific conditions - but in that case, the denial-stamp would reflect this. 

OP fits a few profiles Immi has been targeting for few years already.  It was just a matter of time.  I reckon he knew that, and had been mentally preparing for the eventual airport showdown at high noon.

:post-4641-1156694005:

image.png.7fa589390c8f340285d081eba7eeb4bd.png

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  Avoid both airports in Bangkok, plus Phuket, Krabi, and Samui.  No bad reports from CM airport, or the other smaller ones (that I've seen), but any air-entry is risky, in comparison to a land-border entry - simply because by land, there is no risk of detention.

I believe you can fly from Kuala Lumpur to Hat Tai so that could be an option.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Always a mistake, never speak to IOs or other government officials in Thai, they don't like it.

Happy and a bit stupid is the way to go.

most of the time our "Thai" is not very good at all.  I've heard plenty of "fluent Thai" farlang who can seem to talk their heads off in Pasa Thai but don't even come close to correctly pronouncing the most simple and common everyday words.   and don't even know it.   and I don't mean Gahm Meuang words.  and not only that, but he is at a Bangkok airport so he means Pasa Thai.  "living in Chiangmai for 11 years".  Thai is good for working in a school... ordering simple food and watching TV.  to live in Chiangmai long term at all, other than as a tourist in the farlang sections... even if working as a teacher, you need to understand more than just Pasa Thai... and would indicate it as well and especially if talking about speaking Thai several times.  over the top.  those are all good 'tells', that his Thai is not very good at all.  

Edited by WeekendRaider
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WeekendRaider said:

most of the time our "Thai" is not very good at all.  I've heard plenty of "fluent Thai" farlang who can seem to talk their heads off in Pasa Thai but don't even come close to correctly pronouncing the most simple and common everyday words!!!  and I don't mean Gahm Meuang words.  and not only that, but he is at a Bangkok airport so he means Pasa Thai.  "living in Chiangmai for 11 years".  Thai is good for working in a school... ordering simple food and watching TV.  to live in Chiangmai long term at all, other than as a tourist in the farlang sections... even if working as a teacher, you need to understand more than just Pasa Thai... and would indicate it as well and especially if talking about speaking Thai several times.  over the top. 

That may be the case for you but my spoken (CM) Lanna & Central is almost perfect, although my writing is always a bit iffy, mainly because my tone marks are missing/wrong.

Edited by BritManToo

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Mine was downloaded from the immigration website.

Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

Edit: Sorry but that one is from the consul of state but it the same as the one I quoted.

To claim it applies to denial of entry , in my opinion is a poor reading of  section 22.

In the case of denial of entry the person has not entered The Kingdom, thus the notification that Section 22 refers to becomes null. How can you request somebody to leave when they have not actually entered.

Secondly , on receiving the appeal , the competent official has to delay deportation , while a decision is made. Deportation only apply to persons who have entered the Kingdom.

The more natural reading is that section 12 prevents aliens from entering. However it is reasonable to believe  not everybody who falls within section 12 will be identified at the checkpoint, and thus given permission to enter.

Section 22 is to allow such persons who have entered , but fall in the categories under section 12 to be expelled. 

I just meant having a plan B when I said a few months ???? Of course you are right when you say 7 days, but most likely we could re-enter a few months later for 1-2 months to arrange everything in the worst-case.

That is the main reason why I do not buy to much here - to stay flexible, I am not stressed when things should take a big change, I can leave. I keep all assets in my home country where I can always return to.

I am curious what you guys meant with the attendance scam / payoff. I use ED visas too, I am aware of the new attendance record, but honestly every school I know will just sign that you were there every time. Everyone knows that, it is part of the visa system and this is why ED visas are not cheap. The money paid to school includes some donations to immigration, not only money for the school and teachers.

With all this corruption and many changes in immigration, for me it is just risky to buy elite card for 20 years. But the main reason is still to be flexible. Who knows where I want to be in 2 years.

4 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Source of the actual MFA announcement? Source or it's just hearsay.

The same system that alerts on 6 VE entries does not alert on 3 SETVs or 1 METV, so I doubt it was set in place to prevent tourists from staying longer than 180 days a year. More likely it is there so long term tourists have to get tourist visas and prove they have means to support themselves, which does make sense.

Firstly they consider him the VE abuser, which now seem a worse crime than even living there many years.

Right or wrong, they obviously assume people avoid to get the real visa for bad reasons.

Because for YEARS they warns people "next time get the real visa"

(instead of VE and preferable to get from you own country)

And for some reason people dont understand why...

That when you get the right visa you are screened and vetted from the Thai official consul and that satisfy them of proof of your situation and meet requirements  

Sorry, but really no excuse, we been reading it over and over on here people getting knocked back for VEs

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What a joke, no wonder legitimate foreigners have difficulty sometimes due to people like the OP!...

"I have lived in Chiang Mai Thailand for 11 years..."

"I then switched to an education Visa which I did for 7 years

"i had to renew the visa every three months or something ridiculous..." 

"A short annoying tomboy officer..."

"I ask her what act i'm actually in violation of as I can't find that in the immigration act....Ok, but you are enforcing it you can't tell me what's the number so i can look it up".

"I say i can enter the country 30 days without a visa what's the problem?"

"...their is nothing to say that i can't come in an out of the country many times..."

"righteo whatever dude, here's the money go get the tickets".

"Me and my mate just laugh"

"I wish I had opened my passport in the office i would have thrown my money on his desk, and told him he could keep it as he looks like he needs it more than i do".

Well, you really don't have an attitude problem, do you? 

You also do not know much about the authority that the IOs have when faced with situations that you presented!

Ever tried taking things with a pinch of salt ?

• Haha 1