Why Does Thailand Have Crap Food

kerryk

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far apart are SF & NY? wot in between?

London is meant to be one of the most enthnicly diverse cities on the planet and the different ethnic foods you can get are limitless...as for a deli sandwich....give me a break!

the amount of variety in UK within a 350 mile radius of London is vast compared to anything in the states.

But I'm not just talking about variety, I'm taliking about good gourmet food.

I find it interesting that people say thes dislike English food, we have some of the most amous chefs in the world - apart from that it is often our take on world foods that can be so tasty.

Take for example Indian food, Most villages/towns will have at least one Indian restaurant and generally the food is fantastic, no, its not like any food you would get in India but tastes much better. This and Pizza must be the only things for me that taste better from places that aren't their originating country.

London is meant to be one of the most enthnicly diverse cities on the planet and the different ethnic foods you can get are limitless...as for a deli sandwich....give me a break!

the amount of variety in UK within a 350 mile radius of London is vast compared to anything in the states.

Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, Napa, Los Angeles, to name a few other US locales with 'good gourmet food'.

Why Thailand has crap food.

One reason is holding temps. Food cannot be held at room temp. It will poison you. Food should be below 40F or above 135F.

Another is cross contamination. You can’t use just one cutting board for chicken, pork, and so on.

Another is three compartment sinks. One to wash, one to rinse and one to sanitize. They are non existent in Thailand.

Next time you eat at a street side vendor look for the above things. When you get sick you can remember reading it here.

Why does Thailand not enforce even these basic standards? Anyone have any ideas? I don’t really have a clue.

I lived here for sixteen months and ate food from street vendors and never got sick - went back to Australia on a holiday and got ptomaine poisoning from a pizza marianara in Sydney - go figure.

Secrets to food in Thailand - eat with lots of Chili and garlic because they are antiseptic, eat with lots of lemon/lime - same deal, fish sauce has salt to preserve and protect, have a diet high in rice to provide a buffer in the gut against contaminants and stay away from burger places that keep the farung food under heaters.

Bottom line - if you can't handle the food do one of two things - eat at home or go back there

the amount of variety in UK within a 350 mile radius of London is vast compared to anything in the states. :o

Chicago, Houston, Washington DC, Napa, Los Angeles, to name a few other US locales with 'good gourmet food'.

Don't forget New Orleans, New Mexico, Miami, and all the regional cuisines

The food in London - while better than in the past - doesn't even begin to compare with just San Francisco, never mind the rest of the U.S.

In another 100 years England might have caught up with America, but for now, stick to big breakfasts or Indian food. :D

the amount of variety in UK within a 350 mile radius of London is vast compared to anything in the states. :o

The food in London - while better than in the past - doesn't even begin to compare with just San Francisco, never mind the rest of the U.S.

In another 100 years England might have caught up with America, but for now, stick to big breakfasts or Indian food. :D

One of the very few things I do miss about Australia is the diversity of food. Sydney and Melbourne have very large and diverse ethnic populations who have taken their food and culture to Oz. In Melbourne you can walk down a single street and get anything from an Algerian to Zimbabwian meal. The second factor in Australia is that the general population enjoys and appreciates different food styles. On my last trip back (while recovering from a killer pizza) I went to a food hall with a friend of mine and watched an man and his wife who were in their late 70s - she was eating Japanese sushi rolls, he was eating a bowl of chicken Laksa. After they had finished eating they had a capaccino. All this may not be cuisine par ordinaire but for people of that age group to enjoy the food is something to be considered. I am of an age group where going out to dinner once was a T bone with egg and chips or for the truly adventurous a ham steak with a ring of pineapple on top.

Here in Thailand I am generally restricted to a Thai diet partly because I enjoy it and partly because of limited choice. What I rarely see is local Thais who will eat any food that is not Thai except for the big treat of KFC, McDonalds, or Pizza Express. I work for a large engineering firm and when our General Managers come up from Bangkok they love to show their international awareness by eating at an Italian restuarant but still can't quite get to grips with the knife and fork - I once showed a very good Thai friend how to twirl pasta with a fork and spoon and he was really impressed yet he could eat Thai pasta with chopsticks like everyone else.

This is not intended as a sneer at Thais but to put a difference in attitude in place. Foreigner are generally more accepting of cultural diversity that Asians, this is reflected in their food tastes and general attitudes.

350 miles apart? I think you'd be hard put to drive to each of those in a day.....

One of the very few things I do miss about Australia is the diversity of food. Sydney and Melbourne have very large and diverse ethnic populations who have taken their food and culture to Oz. In Melbourne you can walk down a single street and get anything from an Algerian to Zimbabwian meal. The second factor in Australia is that the general population enjoys and appreciates different food styles. On my last trip back (while recovering from a killer pizza) I went to a food hall with a friend of mine and watched an man and his wife who were in their late 70s - she was eating Japanese sushi rolls, he was eating a bowl of chicken Laksa. After they had finished eating they had a capaccino. All this may not be cuisine par ordinaire but for people of that age group to enjoy the food is something to be considered. I am of an age group where going out to dinner once was a T bone with egg and chips or for the truly adventurous a ham steak with a ring of pineapple on top.

Here in Thailand I am generally restricted to a Thai diet partly because I enjoy it and partly because of limited choice. What I rarely see is local Thais who will eat any food that is not Thai except for the big treat of KFC, McDonalds, or Pizza Express. I work for a large engineering firm and when our General Managers come up from Bangkok they love to show their international awareness by eating at an Italian restuarant but still can't quite get to grips with the knife and fork - I once showed a very good Thai friend how to twirl pasta with a fork and spoon and he was really impressed yet he could eat Thai pasta with chopsticks like everyone else.

This is not intended as a sneer at Thais but to put a difference in attitude in place. Foreigner are generally more accepting of cultural diversity that Asians, this is reflected in their food tastes and general attitudes.

I'm sorry - getting off topic but....

I'm always rather bemused by Australian claims to be culturally diverse.

They actually seem to be quite the opposite as they insist that everyone assimilates...

take an Italian with his heritage of good cuisine style and fashion, put him in Oz for a year and ends up sitting on his porch a beer-gut hanging over his Speedos, clutching a tinny in one hand and his balls in the other and shouting "Wottsamattayou?" at his neighbours.

I actually think that if any Aussie spent some time outside the country they would finally realise that one Greek or Aboriginal chap walking through their neighbourhood does not constitute a cosmopolitan society.

And as for the food??????......or worse still the bloody wine!?!?!?!

BTW - Italians don't usually use a spoon to eat pasta.

Edited by wilko

In another 100 years England might have caught up with America, but for now, stick to big breakfasts or Indian food.

Couldn't agree more Ulysses. The US boasts the pinnacle of world cuisine; KFC, McDonalds, Wendys and Taco Bell to name a few. If you want food that is guaranteed to make you clinically obese in a matter of months, I couldn't recommend a better place. :o

In another 100 years England might have caught up with America, but for now, stick to big breakfasts or Indian food.

Couldn't agree more Ulysses. The US boasts the pinnacle of world cuisine; KFC, McDonalds, Wendys and Taco Bell to name a few. If you want food that is guaranteed to make you clinically obese in a matter of months, I couldn't recommend a better place. :o

Absolutely correct and this is from a nation that brought to the world "toad in the hole", and "spotted dick" Of course the Scots developed that epicurian delight haggis but I have to love Irish food which has "Guiness, Beef in Guiness, and Steamed Mussels in Guiness" :D

Unfortunately British food's reputation isn't deserved.

So says you. :o

I saw a documentary recently about some Brits touring the US and all they did was rave about how much better the food is in the USA even though the documetary had nothing to do with food. They went to great length to describe how boring and bland everything is in England and were practically having orgasms over a New York deli sandwich.

Exactly. If you know where to go the food in the US is probably the best in the world. The best IMO is southern Louisiana. Crawfish etouffe, blackened redfish, red beans & rice w/smoked sausage, smoked baby-back ribs, boiled/fried/bbq shrimp, fried quail.......etc. etc. etc.

Some folks think American food is Mickey D's..........:D

I saw a documentary recently about some Brits touring the US and all they did was rave about how much better the food is in the USA even though the documetary had nothing to do with food. They went to great length to describe how boring and bland everything is in England and were practically having orgasms over a New York deli sandwich.

Exactly. If you know where to go the food in the US is probably the best in the world. The best IMO is southern Louisiana. Crawfish etouffe, blackened redfish, red beans & rice w/smoked sausage, smoked baby-back ribs, boiled/fried/bbq shrimp, fried quail.......etc. etc. etc.

Thinking about it Cajun cooking would make a great restaurant in Thailand gumbo, blackened catfish, rice and beans hmm :D

350 miles apart? I think you'd be hard put to drive to each of those in a day.....

Hey, guess what, there is a lot more than one restaurant in each town.

You could easily go to a different restaurant 3 times a day, every day in most big cities and never run out of good ones.

Why drive anywhere else? :o

It will come as a big surprise to you, but, most restaurants in the US are NOT fast food restaurants.

As far as becoming obese, just eat a lot of bangers and mash and fish and chips. They will certainly do the trick as well as Micky D's! :D

Thinking about it Cajun cooking would make a great restaurant in Thailand gumbo, blackened catfish, rice and beans hmm :D

A real Cajun style restaurant with the food cooked right would be a big hit I believe. I've thought about this since being in Thailand. The restaurant must be in a high-volume farang area but I think some Thai's would eventually become regular customers. A good shrimp/crab gumbo is a must :D Most of the ingrediants can be found here which makes it doable.

I might pursue this after getting a different venture off the ground if for no other reason than to have a place to get the food I love so much. If the place only broke even I'd be happy......

Wow I forgot about the "country gumbo" my grandma used to make with whole chicken parts in it (wings, legs). Very messy but the meat would just melt off the bone. :D

There is a pretty good one in Bangkok called Bourbon Street near the Emporium shopping center and a another good one in Pattaya called The New Orleans Restaurant pretty near walking street. :D

I would certainly agree that Louisiana has some of the best food in the States but it still remains what it is...bastardised French food. It is the French element that has kept Cajun food etc alive.

A real Cajun style restaurant with the food cooked right would be a big hit I believe. I've thought about this since being in Thailand. The restaurant must be in a high-volume farang area but I think some Thai's would eventually become regular customers. A good shrimp/crab gumbo is a must :bah: Most of the ingrediants can be found here which makes it doable.

I might pursue this after getting a different venture off the ground if for no other reason than to have a place to get the food I love so much. If the place only broke even I'd be happy......

Wow I forgot about the "country gumbo" my grandma used to make with whole chicken parts in it (wings, legs). Very messy but the meat would just melt off the bone. :D

This is what made me think of it - the food is pretty basic and the ingredients available here, it would have to be easier to do than to source avacados for guacamoli. The problems would be getting some of the cooking utensils and cooking it right. I had some of the best meals in the US in Louisianna - the combination of Spanish and French was a treat. It would have to be easier to do than to source avacados for guacamoli.

That said I had some excellent meals across the US and so it irks me when people assume all that is eaten there are burgers and fries. My only complaint is that you guys eat WAAAAY to much - getting a steak on one plate (large oval) with salad (bowl), black pepper and mushroom sauce (small dish) and fries (another bowl) at Stefan's in Austin has to be a bit extreme. :D

I would certainly agree that Louisiana has some of the best food in the States but it still remains what it is...bastardised French food. It is the French element that has kept Cajun food etc alive.

Guess I'll stop eating Cajun as it's "bastardised". :D

A real Cajun style restaurant with the food cooked right would be a big hit I believe. I've thought about this since being in Thailand. The restaurant must be in a high-volume farang area but I think some Thai's would eventually become regular customers. A good shrimp/crab gumbo is a must :bah: Most of the ingrediants can be found here which makes it doable.

This is what made me think of it - the food is pretty basic and the ingredients available here, it would have to be easier to do than to source avacados for guacamoli. The problems would be getting some of the cooking utensils and cooking it right. I had some of the best meals in the US in Louisianna - the combination of Spanish and French was a treat. It would have to be easier to do than to source avacados for guacamoli.

That said I had some excellent meals across the US and so it irks me when people assume all that is eaten there are burgers and fries. My only complaint is that you guys eat WAAAAY to much - getting a steak on one plate (large oval) with salad (bowl), black pepper and mushroom sauce (small dish) and fries (another bowl) at Stefan's in Austin has to be a bit extreme. :D

Have to agree with this. Americans have gotten into the habit of eating until they feel "full". I've managed to keep my weight respectable by eating about 75% of what I need to "fill up". In America everything is "super sized" and the pigs just keep going to the trough.

It will come as a big surprise to you, but, most restaurants in the US are NOT fast food restaurants.

As far as becoming obese, just eat a lot of bangers and mash and fish and chips.

Haha!! The irony. I love it.

As far as becoming obese, just eat a lot of bangers and mash and fish and chips.

Intersting you clearly don't understand the difference between industrially produced processed foods and stuff like fish and chips.

If you think the fat content of an English chip is the same as a McD french fry think again.

I have been referring to quality foods not junk food which I have the ultimate distain for, however I would not include Fish and Chips itself as junk food, and certainly not mashed potatoes or quality sausages. It is tghe lack of care and skill in prparing and serving food that gets me. Any food that has been prepared by a good talented cook or chef uis worth having...unfortunately that kind of food is not nearly as available in the States as elsewhere.

Yes there are fat bastrads in UK who live increasingly of junk food and where does this stuff come from?....It is DESIGNED in the U.S.

Edited by wilko

Any food that has been prepared by a good talented cook or chef uis worth having...unfortunately that kind of food is not nearly as available in the States as elsewhere.

Oh, REALLY now?

If the facts don't support what you are saying, just make some up! :o

Or is it the Caribbean element? Maybe the Spanish or maybe the African?

In southern Louisiana the description 'bastardised French food' would initiate a spirited discussion, followed by spirited sparring. :o

• 4 months later...

It seems that this topic has drifted away from the original post and my reply to that is the only time that i have gotten sick from food here in 10 yrs has been in the old airport KFC and i have eaten from street vendors plenty and had no problem. like a woman...if it don't smell good....don't eat it!!!

I love the food in Thailand.

Yeah, I was put off at first by how dirty everything seemed, but after a while I got over it and ate pretty much everything and had no problems. I like street food because you can see exactly what you're getting, whereas in a restaurant it's all hidden away, and who knows how clean the kitchen is.

Plus -- look at the Thais! -- almost to the very last one they are slim, with glossy hair, perfect skin, and nice teeth -- sure genetics is part of it, but there's got to be something to their diet.