cost of electricity

nong38

17 minutes ago, nong38 said:

what the cost of one unit of electricity

Before vat ours works out aprox 3.87 baht.

I'd have to check back on older bills to see any increases but this year a/c usage has been different. 

Its around 4 baht, but there is a sliding scale, so many units billed at X, then above that units billed at Y etc.

Also different tariffs etc, commercial, industrial, domestic etc.

My last month amount (before VAT) divided by No of units , around 3.9 baht, so around 4 baht with VAT

• Like 1

The reason I asked was because my bill has gone up over 500bts this March over February even though we have been away for week! I know its hotter and we would tend to use more electric but the units last year were 369 and this year 448, almost as if someone is using my electricity. Apparently I am not the only one on the estate who has seen a large rise in their bill. Anyone else noticing anything?

5 minutes ago, nong38 said:

The reason I asked was because my bill has gone up over 500bts this March over February even though we have been away for week! I know its hotter and we would tend to use more electric but the units last year were 369 and this year 448, almost as if someone is using my electricity. Apparently I am not the only one on the estate who has seen a large rise in their bill. Anyone else noticing anything?

Any new appliances ? Maybe an air-conn unit on the way out (low gas) and grinding away using more power.

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Any new appliances ? Maybe an air-conn unit on the way out (low gas) and grinding away using more power.

No new aircons just another fridge, everything else the same as last year, the new fridge came in I think November so the appliances are not the answer, fridges don't cost much to run.

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

but the units last year were 369 and this year 448

My numbers were similar to yours for last year and even higher this year but I haven't been away....

Amounts worked out to 4.02 per unit last year and 4.2 per unit this year so yes there seems to have been an increase.

Just checked the actual bills and the reduction figure per unit towards the bottom of the bill on mine has reduced quite a bit. 

https://www.mea.or.th/en/profile/109/111

Most households have tariff 1.2 (click to open).

Same tariff for MEA/PEA nationwide, state monopoly.

It's a price scale with unit price increasing with amount consumed.

Scale ends at 400+ which many foreigners will exceed.

The prices shown are excl. VAT.

Not sure whether the numbers incl. the "Ft".

Some base cost (38.22 Baht) adds up.

"Ft": every four months this fuel/energy cost surcharge/deduction is determined.

Currently it's about -11 Satang (-0.11 Baht) per unit (no scale).

Effective Jan 1, 2019 the Ft was newly determined resulting in a price rise of 0.043 Baht/unit (approx. 1% overall).

(I haven't followed it over a whole year)

That was the long answer.

Short answer:

price per unit about 4.3 Baht/kWh :smile: (less or more depending on consumption).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nong38 said:

Your bill went up because you used more units, not because of a price raise. You probably use more now then at that time. My bills always rise around this time. 

369 to 448 is a raise in consumption and that results in a higher bill.

What is causes, no clue maybe your new fridge or something else.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your bill went up because you used more units, not because of a price raise.

Our consumption history (PEA app).

And it will likely be even more in April and May.

February was cold :smile:

Screenshot_20190328-145257_PEA Smart Plus.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, nong38 said:

Get an Android App called ECAS. You can then put your meter reading in every day, if you want, and see where you are going.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Our consumption history (PEA app).

And it will likely be even more in April and May.

February was cold :smile:

Screenshot_20190328-145257_PEA Smart Plus.jpg

And of course, it will shoot up when weather gets warm and a/c goes on. 

• Thanks 1

February was cooler granted in that month I had the air con I use gassed up and we used 309 units, this month with one week away I used 448 units, in March last year I used 369 units. I have used 79 units more than the same period last year and 139 more units than last month even though I was away for a week. Granted it is now hotter but my week away was mid March and the bill arrived the day after I got back, 22nd, the first half of March was not like It is now.

I have turned the house supply switch off and watched the meter and it did not move so the meter seems fine, its a real mystery to me, it seems as if the cost per unit is the same as indicated on  page one roughly which then makes me wonder if someone is routing through my meter or the wrong tariff has been applied, next month's bill might rectify.

One more thought if anyone has any view. We have builders across the road building 6 houses, they seem to plug in to some electrical box which is in front of waster ground, who pays for the electricity they use? Is it shared out in the locality?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Had my air-con 6 years, wipe the internal filter when it stops cooling, and everything is good again.

Why do you need to 'gas up' yours, is it faulty, is there a leak?

If you 'gas up' your air-con, why do you not 'gas up' your fridge?

Do they work on different principles?

I think my air con is 8, I did what you do with the filters, air cons do require gas more so than fridges and freezers.

11 hours ago, nong38 said:

Does anyone know what the cost of one unit of electricity is currently and has it recently risen?

I am sure I had the ac on longer and yes it is warmer .... yada yada yada. BUT I monitor these things closely and my bill came in way way over what it has been.

Something else besides general increase because of hot weather was going on

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nong38 said:

air cons do require gas more so than fridges and freezers.

Domestic systems are sealed systems, no gas required unless there is a leak which has already been mentioned. 

First up, have to find the leak and repair.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2019 at 9:56 AM, nong38 said:

You are up to something, the electricity bill spiked here also (15-20% higher).

My wife said there were whole discussions going on on FB as many thais had the same, even though the weather barely changed.

It might be a mistake on the side of the electricity company, no conclusion was reached yet as far as i know.

18 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

My wife said there were whole discussions going on on FB as many thais had the same, even though the weather barely changed.

This seems to become a live example of fake news.

Or just an example how much problems Thai people have with numbers/reality.

Tell them how to use a calc to divide price by consumption or do you think they did that by mental arithmetic?

Weather hasn't changed??? Where is that? Phuket, Samui?

Here the weather has changed a lot and I expect 40 C today.

Never used an AC in Jan and Feb.

I have nothing to add (1% increase on Jan 1).

From my last bill (reading date 16. March).

377 units

1549.39 Baht

4.11 Baht/unit.

Exit from here.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed that my bill has been noticeably higher in the last 2 months, and I'm not using a/c more than usual. 

But yes, fridges working harder, aircon working harder... and maybe a little longer? 

It rained today in Phuket. 

It'll wait and monitor the bill when the weather changes. 

Edited by Tapster
  • Like 1

The price of electricity rose in November 2018.

Peak hours are 0900-2200 and off peak are 2200-0900 and all weekends.

The prices people are quoting for bts per unit is an average price, the system favours a low user, the more you use the more you pay per unit, on the PEA site it looks unnecessarily complicated to me.

What concerned me initially was the extra units compared to the previous month and the previous year, whilst I expect a fluctuation because of the weather and what appliances are being used the figures don't look right and I continue to meet others who are experiencing the same high figures.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:54 AM, Peterw42 said:

Its around 4 baht, but there is a sliding scale, so many units billed at X, then above that units billed at Y etc.

Also different tariffs etc, commercial, industrial, domestic etc.

My last month amount (before VAT) divided by No of units , around 3.9 baht, so around 4 baht with VAT

Typical Thailand, they never make anything simple when it can be made harder. 

• Like 1