Increase in rentals and living expenses over last few years?

munslife

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to estimate my cost of living in the Phuket island for near future and am looking for references from people who have been living there for sometime. I want to know your overall experience with increase of prices in condo rentals year on year and also general inflation for things like food, transport, etc which we need in our daily life. Of course I know it varies from person to person and place to place but if you have been eating or living in same lace over years probably you can give me an idea how the prices have gone up.

This will help me to understand the price increase levels and I will be able to better estimate my future expenses.

I am trying to do this analysis for few places like Samui, Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mai etc. IF there is already a topic on this then please guide me.

Thank You in advance for your support.

If anything, rentals are shrinking in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai areas. Seasonal fruit and vegetables have not changed. Most imported stuff will have increased. Gasoline is up about 10%.

The strength of the baht against other currencies is a concern to most expats.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, munslife said:

thanks you so much guys fro your reply. I understand that in my calculations i should consider currency fx fluctuations and should not be as much concerned as absolute increase of prices in thaibhat.

thanks

Exactly correct. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:
5 hours ago, munslife said:

thanks you so much guys fro your reply. I understand that in my calculations i should consider currency fx fluctuations and should not be as much concerned as absolute increase of prices in thaibhat.

thanks

Exactly correct. 

In terms of GBP, my rent has gone up from 360 pounds/month to 625. 

In terms of Baht, it has stayed exactly the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Cheaper to live in many places others then Phuket 

Depends on your life style and expectations.  Try Chiang Mai or Rai right now. I got friends down here in Phuket escaping the annual smoke.

Yes Phuket can be expensive, but there are normal price places to rent and shop. But own transport is a must.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 5:51 PM, JetsetBkk said:

In terms of GBP, my rent has gone up from 360 pounds/month to 625. 

In terms of Baht, it has stayed exactly the same.

OUCH! That has to hurt. As a US citizen, I panic over what might (will likely) happen to the $$.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:45 AM, farang51 said:

From my point of view, the prices have changed very little in the last 10 years in baht. I would worry much more about the currency exchange rates than the prices in baht (if your income is in another currency).

That is true but lately the exchange rate for the US dollar at least is slowly but surely beginning to improve, it’s not as great as it used to be maybe ten years ago but it’s not terrible either like it is for some other currencies.  

I was going to say to the OP I’ve never been down to Phuket but I believe Phuket is one of the more expensive areas of Thailand it’s a huge tourist area.  I live way up north of Bangkok in the Issan area and everything up here is a lot cheaper than it is down south I do know that much at least.  I would suggest looking into the north eastern areas of Thailand it’s probably the cheapest around here.  Even cheaper than Bangkok that’s for sure.  Just my two cents.  

Also I was about to say that Phuket isn’t an island but actually it is technically, now that I just looked at Google it’s only connected to the mainland by a road the Sarasin Bridge.  So I guess it is an island.  One of these days we’ll visit Phuket but I’m more interested in the northern region I understand that it’s extremely beautiful down there.  Although I’ve read bad things about the Phuket Immigration Office but who knows how much of that is true.  

1 hour ago, timendres said:

OUCH! That has to hurt. As a US citizen, I panic over what might (will likely) happen to the $$.

Don’t panic it has been slowly improving for the US Dollar and there have been some optimistic financial reports I think maybe overly optimistic but the exchange rate for the US Dollar has been gradually improving this year.  I remember 10 years ago the exchange rate for the US dollar was a lot better like 34 Baht to the dollar this month when I did my monthly wire transfer it was 30.7 Baht to the dollar which has been gradually creeping back up a little bit every month.  I remember last month it was about 30.53 if I remember right off the top of my head without going back and looking at my receipts so it appears to be getting better at least.  The dollar and the Euro are always gonna do okay although I remember the dollar didn’t do very well at all when I lived in Japan but back then I was working there so I was paid extra for cost of living (COLA).  I remember in Korea the dollar did almost as good as it does here.  

Edited by Jim7777
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

I was going to say to the OP I’ve never been down to Phuket but I believe Phuket is one of the more expensive areas of Thailand it’s a huge tourist area.  I live way up north of Bangkok in the Issan area and everything up here is a lot cheaper than it is down south I do know that much at least.  I would suggest looking into the north eastern areas of Thailand it’s probably the cheapest around here.  Even cheaper than Bangkok that’s for sure.  Just my two cents.

This poster is quite correct. Phuket is relatively expensive because it's many attractions make it a very busy tourist area rated in the top ten in the world.  It is an attractive destination for expats with funds.

Those,  like the OP who only have a couple of cents to rub together, can afford to settle in the north of Thailand as one of the rice paddy people, and only hope to be able to make a visit to Phuket one day.

I believe you can live even cheaper in Mumbai

• Like 1

I have lived in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya, and Phuket is defiantly more expensive. Not just rent and things like that, items on the shelf in 7/11 are more expensive, food in chain restaurants like MK is more expensive. I think even Mcdonalds adds a Phuket premium.

My wife noticed it more than me, picking up things in 7/11 that were 40 baht in Patts and 45 baht in Phuket. Across the board, maybe 10% more expensive.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I have lived in Phuket, Bangkok and Pattaya, and Phuket is defiantly more expensive. Not just rent and things like that, items on the shelf in 7/11 are more expensive, food in chain restaurants like MK is more expensive. I think even Mcdonalds adds a Phuket premium.

My wife noticed it more than me, picking up things in 7/11 that were 40 baht in Patts and 45 baht in Phuket. Across the board, maybe 10% more expensive.

Yes, it's called "The Phuket Tax."  ????

In past years, they could justify such a premium, but now the beach water is filthy, the sand unclean, the air polluted, the traffic is terrible, and the infrastructure is crumbling due to overdevelopment, yet, prices remain high, on the back of past glory. 

Hardly a sustainable future for Phuket, as the island continues to be raped for short term financial gain.  

9 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Cheaper to live in many places others then Phuket 

Agreed.

If someone wants to live in Phuket, the most popular beach destination in the eastern hemisphere of the globe, they will need to pay-up more than the the cost of living in Middleofnowheresville.

Edited by ChasingTheSun

2 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Phuket is a disaster:

1. The ocean water on most beaches is entirely toxic with fecal coliform counts that are off the scale.  So much so that the authorities will not publish them.

2. Statistically Thepkrasattri is the most dangerous road on the planet.

3. Infrastructure is entirely substandard due to decades of corruption and mismanagement.  Water is just one example.

4. All of the once beautiful coral gardens around the island are now entirely dead.

5. Now days it has no cultural attraction whatsoever.  It is just brass and glass strip malls and American fast food franchises.  I like to refer to it as Campbelltown by the sea.

6. Thai street food is 40% more expensive in Phuket than in other areas of Thailand.

7. The street food in Phuket sucks anyway because the average Thai want's nothing to do with the place.

8. Try living in Phuket and asking a Thai friend from another province to visit you.  You will get a flat no thanks.  Too expensive and too dangerous.

9. 6 out of every 10 youths on the island use meth.

10. The transport office is an utter nightmare and entirely corrupt.

11. Immigration.  LOL good luck with that.

12. All of the hospitals are overpriced.

14. If you go out at night make sure that you enjoy mixing with North Africans, Middle Easterns, Indians, Kuwaitees and Chinese.

15. There is zero workable public transport on the island.  If you use the local taxis you risk being kicked to death (while your family watches).

Phuket gained notoriety as a tourist attraction because of its natural attractions.  All of those are now entirely destroyed.  These days the island is a bland and entirely toxic urban wasteland devoid of anything of cultural significance.

I assume you can provide back-up evidence for each of your statements.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Phuket is a disaster:

1. The ocean water on most beaches is entirely toxic with fecal coliform counts that are off the scale.  So much so that the authorities will not publish them.

2. Statistically Thepkrasattri is the most dangerous road on the planet.

3. Infrastructure is entirely substandard due to decades of corruption and mismanagement.  Water is just one example.

4. All of the once beautiful coral gardens around the island are now entirely dead.

5. Now days it has no cultural attraction whatsoever.  It is just brass and glass strip malls and American fast food franchises.  I like to refer to it as Campbelltown by the sea.

6. Thai street food is 40% more expensive in Phuket than in other areas of Thailand.

7. The street food in Phuket sucks anyway because the average Thai want's nothing to do with the place.

8. Try living in Phuket and asking a Thai friend from another province to visit you.  You will get a flat no thanks.  Too expensive and too dangerous.

9. 6 out of every 10 youths on the island use meth.

10. The transport office is an utter nightmare and entirely corrupt.

11. Immigration.  LOL good luck with that.

12. All of the hospitals are overpriced.

14. If you go out at night make sure that you enjoy mixing with North Africans, Middle Easterns, Indians, Kuwaitees and Chinese.

15. There is zero workable public transport on the island.  If you use the local taxis you risk being kicked to death (while your family watches).

Phuket gained notoriety as a tourist attraction because of its natural attractions.  All of those are now entirely destroyed.  These days the island is a bland and entirely toxic urban wasteland devoid of anything of cultural significance.

I agree. None Of my Thai and farang friends want to stay/visit. Just a stopover city 

We have had that discussion on here many times, and to be honest, the expats living here really don't mind that others don't like it.

But can we now get back on topic please and stop the futile attempts to distract from that?

Ten years in Thailand (not Phuket). Food prices - meat, fruit have gone up a fair bit (up to 50% increase) but some items same price as 10 years ago. Basic meal prices maybe up 20%. So food inflation about 2% a year. Alcohol due to tax increases up about 30% in that time. Petrol, fluctuates but not really any different to 10 years ago. Transport fares - planes, trains, buses not much change, taxis and tuk-tuks up a bit (due to wage increases). Electric and gas up a little bit .....

Biggest change housing. Although hotel prices have not risen much (maybe 10-30%) Land and house prices have easily doubled. Although rents on existing houses may not have changed much (because rents tend to be fixed to give a rate of return on building cost, not house value) but new properties have much higher rents to reflect purchase/building cost.

Overall, say inflation rate is about 2% a year not counting houses ..... all in baht.

The 2 biggest issues are undoubtedly currency exchange rates and immigration requirements (although theoretically extensions do not cost anymore, rules on visas have changed a lot).

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, rickudon said:

Ten years in Thailand (not Phuket). Food prices - meat, fruit have gone up a fair bit (up to 50% increase) but some items same price as 10 years ago. Basic meal prices maybe up 20%. So food inflation about 2% a year. Alcohol due to tax increases up about 30% in that time. Petrol, fluctuates but not really any different to 10 years ago. Transport fares - planes, trains, buses not much change, taxis and tuk-tuks up a bit (due to wage increases). Electric and gas up a little bit .....

Biggest change housing. Although hotel prices have not risen much (maybe 10-30%) Land and house prices have easily doubled. Although rents on existing houses may not have changed much (because rents tend to be fixed to give a rate of return on building cost, not house value) but new properties have much higher rents to reflect purchase/building cost.

Overall, say inflation rate is about 2% a year not counting houses ..... all in baht.

The 2 biggest issues are undoubtedly currency exchange rates and immigration requirements (although theoretically extensions do not cost anymore, rules on visas have changed a lot).

thanks for your reply!