PM concerned over hazardous air quality in Northern Thailand

rooster59

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

Thai governments can employ satellites, drones, and human intelligence to pinpoint forest fires and crop burning, and subsequently identify the violators. Whacking them with hefty fines and sticking them in the can for a few weeks or months and pyromania would soon become a lot less popular activity. Where is the logic in jailing bar and restaurant owners for serving booze on alcohol-free days while irresponsible farmers can, with impunity, damage the health of millions of people, no doubt causing the deaths of many, and costing the tourist industry many millions of dollars. This pollution was all preventable. Let us hope that the new crop of politicians are a lot brighter than the present ones.

Because farmers are important for votes, that is why nobody gets tough with them. Nobody wants to alienate them so they just let it be. Just like farmers are planting more rice then allowed now there is a drought using up water for normal consumption. Won't be an issue farmers here are too important to get tough with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just like farmers are planting more rice then allowed now there is a drought using up water for normal consumption.

Where are farmers using up water? its not possible unless the water is "given" to them in the first place ????

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Where are farmers using up water? its not possible unless the water is "given" to them in the first place ????

BKK post article about farmers growing more rice then allowed given the drought. Its not a question of giving but them taking it out. Its not as if the people at the dams can decide how the water is used once its released. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not as if the people at the dams can decide how the water is used once its released. 

The water is released into the "irrigation" channels for that purpose - irrigation - if they don't have excess water they don't release it, so despite article - not seeing how it is possible, all the irrigation channels where I am are dry and most have been cleaned out, so quite how the farmers are using up the water is beyond me unless it is more "government" propaganda?

Instructing farmers to do anything here is a lost cause so they remove the source.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

The water is released into the "irrigation" channels for that purpose - irrigation - if they don't have excess water they don't release it, so despite article - not seeing how it is possible, all the irrigation channels where I am are dry and most have been cleaned out, so quite how the farmers are using up the water is beyond me unless it is more "government" propaganda?

Instructing farmers to do anything here is a lost cause so they remove the source.

Before it gets to irrigation channels it gets released in an other waterway. I don't understand that you seem to think that the dams directly lead to irrigation channels. That would be real strange, it would be the main stream (river canal) that goes to irrigation channels. So if water is released for lets say making drinking water. but farmers siphon it before it reaches the place where drinking water then they are using it. Do you really think that there is a police man on every irrigation channel ?

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Do you really think that there is a police man on every irrigation channel ?

Yes! if not where are they?

I live right beside a reservoir, it leads directly to irrigation channels, as most do :wink: household use water is processed directly from reservoir.

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yes! if not where are they?

I live right beside a reservoir, it leads directly to irrigation channels, as most do :wink: household use water is processed directly from reservoir.

Must be a small reservoir, because the large dams that I am talking about feed in water ways and they then feed in irrigation channels. I doubt that what you say is how it works all over the place. Otherwise it would be easy to to manage water. 

Do you live next to one of the big dams or not ? Just trying to understand as it seems awfully strange way to manage things as it would require countless reservoirs. I seen irrigation straight from the main river around where I live. No way to control unless there was a policeman everywhere. 

Maybe its different in different parts of Thailand.

And apparently they're now doing the idiotic water spraying from trucks up in the north, like that's really gonna help with anything... Cue in the spineless media coverage on government's heroic efforts in fighting pollution. Sigh.

• Like 1

LOL! People are choking to death in the north and he is doing absolutely NOTHING!

Concerned? Never! If he really cared he would have put the army in a long time ago.

Shame on him for being so careless about the health of Thai people. 

He talks about doing good deeds... LOL

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Such BS. This guy takes the cake as is apparently concerned about anything to even perhaps the welfare of a snake stuck in a drain if it makes him look good and sincere. Concerned is ludicrous as this is making international news. I would love to see him get all choked up about it, but literally not figurately by being here and sucking in a ton of it in his lungs. There is no quality here in Air quality. 

Awww, having issues there with the air? Maybe catch a flight back to your homeland for a few years and quit complaining about an issue you can get away from with one easy boarding pass. Oh, wait, but it's easier to complain about the situation. So true for so many there. Why did you move there? Expected perfection?

I'm not sure where you are from but try checking the air and water pollution levels "back home" and if they are to your liking then..... 

As I see it there is a choice between tourism or allowing this serious situation to continue. It is not right that unsuspecting visitors are being allowed to come to a national disaster in the north of Thailand. As the authorities choose to let this happen they should shut down all tourism to the north during February, March and April. As responsible falangs we should inform via websites etc (e.g. Trip advisor) of the risks to health present here during these months. Maybe that will make the authorities refocus on the decision, tourism or mushroom farming for the north...

On 3/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, holy cow cm said:

Such BS. This guy takes the cake as is apparently concerned about anything to even perhaps the welfare of a snake stuck in a drain if it makes him look good and sincere. Concerned is ludicrous as this is making international news. I would love to see him get all choked up about it, but literally not figurately by being here and sucking in a ton of it in his lungs. There is no quality here in Air quality. 

Thanks for complaining like so many others instead of leaving the area(and board) or helping with a solution. It's so easy to complain but helping with a solution takes a little effort. I guess that's why no one ever offers any ideas (real ideas that have been discussed with the Thais) to solve the situations in question. Complaining means no real involvement in a solution. Gee thanks!!!  

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Thanks for complaining like so many others instead of leaving the area(and board) or helping with a solution. It's so easy to complain but helping with a solution takes a little effort. I guess that's why no one ever offers any ideas (real ideas that have been discussed with the Thais) to solve the situations in question. Complaining means no real involvement in a solution. Gee thanks!!!  

You're objecting to people complaining about the life threatening air pollution? What's your solution, Einstein? 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 4:24 AM, HuskerDo said:

The solution is easy and I have stated it already. Go after the mushroom people from all levels going from first procurer to wholesale to middle people to end buyer.. Anything what this guy does is just show boating at best.

On 4/9/2019 at 10:49 PM, holy cow cm said:

The solution is easy and I have stated it already. Go after the mushroom people from all levels going from first procurer to wholesale to middle people to end buyer.. Anything what this guy does is just show boating at best.

If you think you have the answer to the issue have you discussed it with anyone in the Thai govt that could consider your idea or are you just "sharing" on a msg board? If you want to complain you are in the right place but if instead you want to help make a real difference.....

• Sad 1