Witnesses at Chonburi immigration

You dont need to take witnesses to the immigration office but when immigration do the home visit they will want to talk to a friend, neighbour etc. A Thai, (doesnt need to be someone you know personally) with an ID who knows you both and verifies you live together, sees you together, it could be the cleaning lady.

I just take them to the condo office. 

Edited by Peterw42

This year it seems you don't need to take your witness to immigration and don't include them in photos either..and yes when they come to interview you at home then they want to talk to the witness,take photos and have 2 copies of the witness ID and house book.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You dont need to take witnesses to the immigration office but when immigration do the home visit they will want to talk to a friend, neighbour etc. A Thai, (doesnt need to be someone you know personally) with an ID who knows you both and verifies you live together, sees you together, it could be the cleaning lady.

I just take them to the condo office. 

Thanks. I hope having a witness during the home visit will be all that's required. If this is the case, it should be no problem.

1 hour ago, bronzedude said:

Thanks. I hope having a witness during the home visit will be all that's required. If this is the case, it should be no problem.

That was the case late last year and I believe nothing has changed. As I said, if you live in a condo or a village, the office girls will be fine. Took all of 2 minutes, immigration take a quick photo standing next to the office girl, a photo of her ID etc. 

A couple of things to note, the photos you take cant be selfies (can see selfie stick), the map has to be hand drawn, not a printout from google maps. 

I did a thread about it last September/October, changing from retire to marriage, but it appears you can only search back a couple of weeks now.

20 years ago they wanted witnesses at District Office in Sarapee, CM. Yesterday called District Office in Sansai, CM and they indicate they will take in all documents, check for completion on first personal visit, the call a few days later and have you come back with two witnesses and sign documents. I realize in saying this that nit same everywhere, but don't show up for registration without calling first to find out their procedure. Good Luck.

• Like 1

I did my marriage extention about 2 weeks ago at Jomptien, no witnesses were required, but the immigration police did visit us the very next day, we had our witness present with us, they did ring us 20 minutes prior to their arrival.

Edited by vogie

14 hours ago, bronzedude said:

That is all you need at Jomtien these days, they specificly told us a couple of months back, no witness required for the extension, but as you say needed at The Home Interview which follows during the 30 day wait for acceptance!

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Other than reinforcing the view that all foreigners are at the very least suspect, having police visit you at home and questioning your neighbors about you isn't a problem at all.

Considering the number of scam marriages recently discovered, not an unjustified precaution.

• Like 1

Last januari I took a witness with copies of his housebook and ID card and photos with him in the house and outside showing house number to Jomtien immigration, that's what they wanted when my marriage extension was refused 2 months before. The io's did't even look at him or asked him any questions. The photos are never good enough and they asked my wife and me a lot of questions. It is very difficult to get your extension on the first attempt. I finally got the under consideration stamp. To get the final stamp wasn't a problem a month later, just send me back home and told me to come back the day after because the papers from Bangkok didn't come yet. Went back the day after and got my final stamp, it took about 5 minutes.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, JimSaints said:

Jomtien IO will ask you to bring witness and when you do they don't care …

They don't know what they want. This year I had to take a witness to IO, they didn't even look at him. Last year I got a visit of 3 io's at my home. You never know what to expect.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Caldera said:

Other than reinforcing the view that all foreigners are at the very least suspect, having police visit you at home and questioning your neighbors about you isn't a problem at all.

When I had a home visit it wasn't police and they never talked to anyone else. They came in an ordinary vehicle and were not in full uniform, just a jacket with an immigration badge. They just filled in some forms to sign and took some photos. When they left they left the forms behind and my wife rang immigration, one came back the following day in plain clothes to collect the forms.

5 hours ago, johng said:

They where immigration police.

You mean you think they "were".

I am perfectly aware that immigration are a division of the police department but that doesn't make them "the police", the visitors had no police markings whatsover. Unlike the original point that suggested the gestapo had turned up.

"having police visit you at home and questioning your neighbors about you isn't a problem at all."

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Ok  you say the persons who turned up to interview you where not police..but turned up with immigration badges and jackets ...who do you think they where if they where not immigration police ?

When they came to our place I think they turned up in a black unmarked saloon car, they all wore casual clothes with Immigration jackets..they had ( one copy of ) the paperwork I had submitted to the immigration office..this year they didn't actually show me their police badge like they do in the movies ( they did last year) I believe they where immigration police but now start to wonder ?

????????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sandyf said:

I am perfectly aware that immigration are a division of the police department but that doesn't make them "the police", the visitors had no police markings whatsover. Unlike the original point that suggested the gestapo had turned up.

Funnily enough, Gestapo officers didn't wear police uniforms either. They were, after all, the secret police.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johng said:

Ok  you say the persons who turned up to interview you where not police..but turned up with immigration badges and jackets ...who do you think they where if they where not immigration police ?

When they came to our place I think they turned up in a black unmarked saloon car, they all wore casual clothes with Immigration jackets..they had ( one copy of ) the paperwork I had submitted to the immigration office..this year they didn't actually show me their police badge like they do in the movies ( they did last year) I believe they where immigration police but now start to wonder ?

????????

Did they show you their guns?

Whether you accept it or not, there is a difference between a police officer and an Immigration officer, it is not called the Immigration Bureau for nothing. Nearly a 5th of the Thai police force are classed as civil servants and there has been talk of making immigration an independent entity.

31 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Did they show you their guns?

Whether you accept it or not, there is a difference between a police officer and an Immigration officer, it is not called the Immigration Bureau for nothing. Nearly a 5th of the Thai police force are classed as civil servants and there has been talk of making immigration an independent entity.

Immigration can and do carry guns.