I did not get back in to Thailand through Poi Pet border. I have a lot of visas(no visa waiver stamps). The officer told that I am not a tourist anymore and stamped my passport with the stamp you see in the attached picture. You probably know what it is about. Now I would like to know when and how  I can come back to Thailand. I have there a lady friend since 6 years. 

IMG_20190331_234535.jpg

You can come tomorrow. I would not recommend flying Phnom Penh to Bangkok. Instead, use one of the 3 entry points south of Poipet, on the Thai-Cambodian border.

Your stamp is just a denial of entry stamp. It is no big deal.

What have you been doing for a week in Cambodia?

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, mvausterlitz said:

Now I would like to know when and how  I can come back to Thailand.

It’s still possible to enter at other land borders. The denial stamp does not automatically mean you’ll be denied again.

You increase your chances of entry with a Tourist Visa, 

51 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

You can come tomorrow. I would not recommend flying Phnom Penh to Bangkok. Instead, use one of the 3 entry points south of Poipet, on the Thai-Cambodian border.

Your stamp is just a denial of entry stamp. It is no big deal.

What have you been doing for a week in Cambodia?

I just have stayed learning something of this country and start liking the people. Thank you for an encouraging answer. But why not to fly?  I thought it is better to fly with return ticket because at Poi Pet an onward ticket would have helped. What about requirements at those other borders?

Edited by mvausterlitz

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Don't use the Poipet border, everybody here on Thaivisa is aware of that ????

Just use any other land border to go back into Thailand

You were denied for 12.2 "Having no appropriate means of living following entrance into the Kingdom."

IOs use this option to deny people arbitrarily if they think the person should not enter Thailand.

In your case the IO thinks you should not be allowed to spend so much time in Thailand, but this is no legal reason to deny you, so he abuses 12.2 to deny you.

so this was a lie. I HAD the money but he did not even want to see it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mvausterlitz said:

No. Having money ONLY satisfies section 12 (9). You were denied under 12 (2).

Section 12 (2) is a catch all clause that legally enables IO’s to deny entry on the basis that you don’t have an appropriate means of living in the country.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, mvausterlitz said:

Look at it his way.

He didn't ask you if you had sufficient cash.

Therefore he didn't see any cash.

Therefore to him, the cash didn't exist.

Thus you obviously didn't have it and another application of rule 12.2 was validated.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Your posts should come with a disclaimer that goes like: "This is my personal interpretation of section 12.2, possibly shared by certain criminal elements within Thai immigration at certain checkpoints."

So, just so anyone from immigration reading this is clear - you are publicly accusing Deputy Inspector Chatchai Phahaan of the Sa Kaeo immigration office of being a "criminal" for denying entry to the OP?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Look at it his way.

He didn't ask you if you had sufficient cash.

Therefore he didn't see any cash.

Therefore to him, the cash didn't exist.

Thus you obviously didn't have it and another application of rule 12.2 was validated.

He didn't ask to see cash, because it was irrelevant, because he wasn't denying entry under 12 (9) for not having 10K.

He was denying entry under 12 (2) for not having an appropriate means of living in the country.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

So, just so anyone from immigration reading this is clear - you are publicly accusing Deputy Inspector Chatchai Phahaan of the Sa Kaeo immigration office of being a "criminal" for denying entry to the OP?

If Immigration is reading this I would like to say one word to them. TEA.

moneycup-e1470975820294.jpg

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Basically they think you are not really a tourist because of the sheer amount of time you are spending in Thailand so suspect you are either working  here without proper visa and work permit, or engaging in illegal activity.

There are different rejection-stamps for illegally working or criminal-involvement. 

The rejection-reason used here, if applied as it was in this (and many other) cases, would apply to everyone entering with any type of visa. 

Basically, it amounts to, "You might not be able to support yourself after entering, and there is nothing you can show us here as evidence to the contrary."   Ergo, no one can enter Thailand.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

No, I don't know the specific reasons that the OP was denied entry for, and I also don't know if the officer in charge of doing so shares your absurd interpretation of section 12.2. Their thought process might well differ from yours; it's worth keeping in mind that you aren't actually an immigration spokesperson. I'm just worried that some people take the nonsense you post seriously.

According to that interpretation, IOs  can Make Up A LIE to deny-entry, just because they feel like it, with no law or rule which actually pertains to the person being denied-entry.  Without any way to prove otherwise, no one can ever feel safe to enter Thailand, again

As to use of the "criminal" word - that is just bait, because we aren't supposed to call them that here (could make legal-problems).  Therefore, this is the best response:

Oh, no, of course not.  No one in immigration is on the take from agents, schools, etc - or carrying out their own personal agendas in contradiction to the Immigration Act.  Just pretend all the reports of these activities here (and many of our own personal experiences) are "fake" and everything is on the "up and up" with immigration, everywhere.

After all, pattern recognition (i.e. "intelligence") is a sign of mental-illness / paranoia / tin-foil hat stuff, so don't believe your lying eyes.  Much better buy into gaslighting / excuses for immigration's constant pattern of denying entry based on a lie at this entry-point (and some others).  By all means, don't call it out for what it really is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

No, I don't know the specific reasons that the OP was denied entry for, and I also don't know if the officer in charge of doing so shares your absurd interpretation of section 12.2.

LOL! So this officer isn’t a criminal, just all the others at all the other border points that are denying long term tourists for the same reason.

You do know the reason. The IO has stamped the passport quoting the law used to deny entry.

Maybe you could explain what “specific reasons” would make the IO a criminal.

Again, I am not interpreting the law, you are.

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

Their thought process might well differ from yours; it's worth keeping in mind that you aren't actually an immigration spokesperson. I'm just worried that some people take the nonsense you post seriously.

The concern is that members will beleive the misinformation and nonsense you/others spout in thread after thread. You/others keep claiming criminality, lawless airports, illegal denials, etc. without providing any evidence whatsoever.

They are formally denying entry and you are calling them criminals. Prove it and or make a complaint to the TIB. You have the officers name and their office.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I love the sound of semantics in the morning.

"Appropriate means" simply translates as having cash.

No it doesn’t. If it was simply about cash it would say so, and somewhere it would state how much cash is required. 

The only cash required to enter the country is 10/20K as per section 12 (9).

I mean how else does one manage to live in any country? Unless you think "appropriate means" suggests that he has enough mama noodles and a carton of smokes to survive on?

Of course everyone needs money to live. 

“Appropriate means” — is what is considered appropriate by immigration.

A foreigner needs the “appropriate means” to live with his wife in the country, which is 400K in the bank, a foreign income of at least 40K pm, or a job in Thailand. He can’t get an extension if he’s being kept by his wife, or only has 200K, because that is not an “appropriate means”.

IO’s can use section 12 (2) to deny a long term tourist because they are clearly living in the country, want to continue living in the country, but have not satisfied immigration how they appropriately fund their stay. 

Edited by elviajero

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

LOL! So this officer isn’t a criminal, just all the others at all the other border points that are denying long term tourists for the same reason.

For legal reasons, we cannot use that term here to describe them.  It's like saying "go ahead and hit me" with a couple large bodyguards on either side while making the challenge. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

They are formally denying entry and you are calling them criminals. Prove it and or make a complaint to the TIB. You have the officers name and their office.

Based on our experiences here and all evidence to-date, why should be believe the TIB would care about IOs violating the laws/rules?  Billions of baht in payoffs from agents and schools don't seem to concern them - they even write the rules in such a way to maximize revenue from these schemes, while blaming "foreigners" for the actions of those in their own ranks who facilitate them.

As to comparing the requirements for 1-year permitted-stays with 30 to 60 day permitted-stays:

• There are no published-requirements to show additional funds (beyond the 10K/20K cash) for 30-day or 60-day tourist entries. 
  • There is no legal reason for rejecting-entry based on "past time in the country," period.

Therefore, it is illegal to deny entry for "here too long before," or for not showing financials that are neither legally required nor requested.

The authorities can change the rules any time they want to add financials or limits on tourist-entries, but the clique currently misusing the 12-2 clause to deny entry at some entry-points are, evidently, unable to get the rule-changes they desire.