Theresa May to ask EU for further Brexit extension

webfact

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s the former Leave voters that will simply stay at home that will make the difference.

The recent pitiful turnout in demonstrations supporting Brexit is a better measure of public sentiment than what people might tell someone who they know to be an ardent Brexiteer.

I accept your point but I think that if they bothered to turn out for a lost cause last time (bookies 1/9 Remain) then I think they will come out on principle for a second vote.

As said, it won't happen - but the next election is going to be interesting.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Finally an intelligent response in the last 20 minutes. .????

Well It doesn't mean I agree. So can you give some facts on that or is it an opinion. Not saying opinions don't count. I would have thought that those who put their mark on the paper with an x have a lot to do with political leanings.

How do you know they were UK citizens? As a the press and others use this as an indicator of public opinion which is not accurate.

Where I live and therefore where I am referring to is the constituency of Dominic Raab.  Even he acknowledged that 80% of his constituents voted remain.  Obviously they are people eligible to vote so count as UK citizens.  Or you could pop up the road to Richmond, another Tory heartland where the majority of voters were for remain.  Hardly a leftie enclave with all those "city traders".  But that is not the point.  Remainers and leavers come from all political colours as was demonstrated by both marches.  

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

On a slightly lighter note.  I don't want a second referendum because it would just deepen the wound that Brexit has inflicted on the country.  But I think that remain would win for a couple of reasons.  One is that there are now considerably more young people eligible to vote and a number of old people have popped their clogs since the referendum. ????

I agree with the wound comment...the country is in need of repair - it will have to be self healing because I have no faith in the surgeons sitting in parliament.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yesterday I read an article that more and more Europeans, and especially European politicians, are by now completely fed-up with May and UK Brexit politics.

Imagine these Brits would stay in the EU, that would be a total nightmare.

Please go! Anyway you want, just go!

P.S.: I am sorry for the younger generation on the islands. Maybe when their influence gets stronger over the years they can apply for a new EU membership - but obviously without all those special extra rules. Good luck!

Completely agree. Never, and never, the hearts of the British were at the EU. Only "MY money back". 

So, let them, throw them out. Let's see how soon they will regret it an apply for a new membership whent their export is wrecked, and over a 100.000 jobs migrated to continental EU.  And then… no priovilegdes, accept Schengen and €uro + right lane traffic.

The British forget: their export goes to the EU (43%) and associated countries. see in google with "import export uk to eu". Look especially how much of imports from non-EU members = oil and gas.

In figures released in the second calendar year after the EU referendum, exports to non-EU countries amounted to around £342 billion in 2017, showing the worldwide demand for British goods and services remains. Exports to EU countries were around £274 billion in 2017.

The fastest growing export market for the UK since 2010 was Oman, with exports increasing by 354% to £3 billion ( so 1,1% of EU trade) . This was followed by Macedonia (FYROM) with UK trade growing by 318% to £1 billion ( 0,366% of EU)  and then Kazakhstan which was up by 210% to £2 billion ( 0,73% of EU) .

• Thanks 2

Not really.  I have a theory, probably pie in the sky but I am trying to see where May is going with this latest move.  It could be that she knows that Corbyn will not change his position and she won't change hers and their talks will break down. Then, you are left with another round of indicative votes.  She has been very anti them so far but this would give her a chance to pass the buck.

Could be completely off the mark but....  She spent 7 hours with her cabinet yesterday before coming out with last nights statement.  Apparently some members of her cabinet are spitting blood over her decision but none of them have resigned over it.  So much for principles then!

7 hours, - yes but the sandwiches, coffee and Chilean red wine were probably jolly good!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Leave.  After that, whatever's going to happen will happen, but the rest of the world is sick of this stupid show, so just leave.

No one forces anyone to watch, listen or comment.

Must be pretty thick if they keep following "a stupid show" that makes them feel sick!

PS. - who elected you to speak on behalf of over 7 billion people?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Luckily there are still a few left and others who would like to leave the EU. You can have Belarus along with Turkey.

Why doesn't the wonderful, caring democratic EU give all EU members the choice to leave the EU. Just a couple of years old but relevant. Probably more want to leave now IMO.

https://www.newsweek.com/nearly-half-voters-eight-eu-countries-want-own-brexit-referendum-457412

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/europes-current-economy/five-more-countries-want-referendums-to-exit-eu/

art 50 is already a long time open for every EU member state. Till now, only one is using it to commit commercial suicide. 

In NL, 64% do not even want to THINK about leaving the EU. In Catalunya… one this nobody wants to think of: NOT being a EU member state after an independancy. And Salvini of Lega ( North) is competely converted. And thanks to the Brits... this is growing.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

That is one of the options. Whatever it is, I hope the UK leaves, so it can get rid if the cancer called Brexit, to return one day as committed member state, accepting our Euro, red passports and straight bananas. 

You forget: forget any privilege, accept Schengen, and right lane traffic. Bye-the-way: I've never seen straight bananas after 41 years in tropical foods.

During the referendum campaign several people highlighted how difficult and damaging it would be to extricate ourselves from the EU, one of the reasons Cameron didn’t stick around to see it through. That view was described as part of “project fear”, but it can now be seen as a pretty reasonable prediction. Failing to attain a majority after the election was another nail in the coffin. The Gina Miller case made it even more difficult for the government to impose a Brexit solution. After that it really didn’t matter who was in charge as we were heading for a softer Brexit. Where we now are was inevitable.

You won’t be getting your hard Brexit, and the soft Brexit you will end up with makes the whole project a complete waste of time and taxpayers money. For those that taunt Remainers with “you lost”, is it finally dawning on you that we all lost?

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

The UK will definitely prosper by leaving without an EU-deal.

This is the only reason why certain very powerful - May controlling - interests, try  everything possible to derail the Brexit-train. 

Once the UK proved the world (Norway and Switzerland proved it over and over already) that it will do better without the EU - the EU will either come down crashing or even implode - like the German Democratic Republic. Juncker will have to seek a new booze supply and the rest of the lot will be without pre-warmed little cushioned seats in Brussels. 

This is the only reason, why the voters wish has not been executed and everything is delayed.  

If their present government cannot fix the electorates order then the country might have the wrong government.

Norway and Switzerland are defacto EU members, buit not a word to say ( of course.. Sweden & Denmark resp. Germany, Austria, France and Italy will do that for them ) 

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

Norway and Switzerland are defacto EU members, buit not a word to say ( of course.. Sweden & Denmark resp. Germany, Austria, France and Italy will do that for them ) 

Sydebolle appears to be advocating the Norway option? But I don’t think he realises that?

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Big secret: The UK can still do that. 

But.. a no deal is voted away.. order... order... ( Why this bunch of... cannot simple close their mouths when somebody else is speaking ? )  the nays have it...  the  Caroline Spelman  suggestion: 312 to 308 to reject a no-deal Brexit under any circumstances. The "Malthouse compromise" supporting a so-called "managed no-deal Brexit", failed 164–374.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

She will get her extension, Germany doesn't want a no deal exit.

Look at the import-export transactions: it will hurt Germany, Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Poland Italy, Portugal, Czechia.. But.. the UK by far the most.

UK trade deficit 2017.jpg

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Not in my opinion........... nor in the opinion of 17m+ others.

Those 2 years have only hardened the sentiment against the EU.

And.. completely democrratic, you ignore the 48,11 % remainers.. Long live democracy in the UK. Time to throw them out of the EU. Even Poland and Hungary are not so bad.

• Haha 1