Thai resident certificate

Not sure what you meant when you wrote Thai resident certificate. If you mean permanent residency you would not qualify for it. You have to be living here for 3 years on extensions of stay, working with work permit and paying taxes for those 3 years.

You could get a single entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy or one of the consulates in the states that will allow a 90 day entry that would allow you to apply for one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration here. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

Not sure how to explain I read that I need a Thai resident certificate? to buy a car or get a drivers licence? I need to prove that I am residing at my wifes house in Yasothon. Hope this helps out to explain what I need. Thank you 

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you meant when you wrote Thai resident certificate. If you mean permanent residency you would not qualify for it. You have to be living here for 3 years on extensions of stay, working with work permit and paying taxes for those 3 years.

You could get a single entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy or one of the consulates in the states that will allow a 90 day entry that would allow you to apply for one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai at immigration here. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how to explain I read that I need a Thai resident certificate? to buy a car or get a drivers licence? I need to prove that I am residing at my wifes house in Yasothon. Hope this helps out to explain what I need. Thank you

24 minutes ago, raptorea said:

You need a certificate of residency that immigration here will issue.

Or you can do an affidavit at the US embassy  to prove your address that will be accepted. The fee for it is $50.

3 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

One sure fire method is to head to the nearest US Embassy and get a sworn Affidavit of Residence. This will set you back 50 frog skins.

There is only one US embassy here in Thailand (and in all other countries). There is a consulate in Chiang Mai as well.

19 minutes ago, raptorea said:

What you need is a document confirming your address that’s issued by an authority. 

Your local immigration office might issue one if they’ve issued you with an extension of stay.

You can get one from your embassy, but that’s usually expensive.

The local Amphoe might issue one if you go with the house owner who can confirm your living st their property.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is only one US embassy here in Thailand (and in all other countries). There is a consulate in Chiang Mai as well.

Thanks for that clarification! 

Does the CM consulate issue "Affidavits of Residence" ?

not sure if this has come up already and slightly off topic as for bangkok.

my friend who's on retirement extension went to chaeng wattana last week to get RC.

He took his paperwork and they saw him and booked him an appointment to go back in 1 month.

They gave him a receipt with the date to come back and boxes ticked for why the letter is required, in his case for driving licence. 

i thought before you would go there once with 90 day report, address proof etc and they'd post it out to you.

Are there new rules there does anyone know? 

as it stands he can't legally drive in thailand for another month as he's already reported 90 days. obviously the way around that is the embassy letter at a cost which would be quicker but first i had heard of the month wait and a second appointment at chaeng wattana

Edited by MARK74

Resident Certificates are straight forward (except when an IO requests a fee, usually 300 baht, when in fact they are free).   This link is to the Phuket Immigration Volunteers website, which lists the requirements for an RC (though check with what will be your local Immigration Office that their requirements are the same).   Note, that you need the number of originals (not copies) for say a Driving Licence, vehicle purchase etc.

http://piv-phuket.com/others/residence-certificate/