What speed is my internet?

lungbing

I have 3BB fibre and they recently upgraded me to 500/500 for the same price, 1200 plus VAT.

However, Speedtest.com on Firefox shows about 40 Mbps, on Opera it's about 160 Mbps, on Slimjet browser about 180 Mbps. 

These figures are repeatable and vary a bit obviously but within the same range.

I called 3BB in who spent two hours checking everything and replaced the router and showed me Speedtest.net running at

just over 500Mbps on their laptop connected to my new router.

They asked me to download a free-standing speedtest app which does show 500Mbps. 

But Firefox and Opera still refuse to go above 50Mbps on Speedtest.net

So what is my speed?  Do I need a new LAN card?  My existing one is built into my motherboard, ASUS M4N687. 

Any help most gratefully received.

• Like 1

Don't use the speedtester that they use. It will always show a perfect speed, or even higher. Try www.speedof.me or do search here about broadband speedtests for other broadband speed tests.

Be sure to connect to your router. Cannot get an accurate test via wifi.

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

I have 3BB fibre and they recently upgraded me to 500/500 for the same price, 1200 plus VAT.
However, Speedtest.com on Firefox shows about 40 Mbps, on Opera it's about 160 Mbps, on Slimjet browser about 180 Mbps. 
These figures are repeatable and vary a bit obviously but within the same range.

I called 3BB in who spent two hours checking everything and replaced the router and showed me Speedtest.net running at
just over 500Mbps on their laptop connected to my new router.
 They asked me to download a free-standing speedtest app which does show 500Mbps. 
But Firefox and Opera still refuse to go above 50Mbps on Speedtest.net

So what is my speed?  Do I need a new LAN card?  My existing one is built into my motherboard, ASUS M4N687. 

Any help most gratefully received.
They are showing you 500 Mbs to Bangkok. This is not what you will get to New York or London or other international servers. What you are quoting seems about right.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, shady86 said:

You motherboard's built in Lan supports gigabit so you need to check if the routers lan port are gigabit and make sure at least good quality cat 6 lan cables are used.

All 3BB Fibre Routers have gigabit ethernet ports. All that means is if your PC or TV box also have gigabit ports you could get gigabit speed between the 2 devices. It has nothing to do with the internet speed you are getting.

• Like 1

Your browser will have little effect on the speed tests. You will need to identify where the test server is located.  Think of the internet as a series of pipes.  You could have a fat and little used pipe to your local provider and get the full 500 or even a little more.  However from your provider you could have a small pipe with many users trying to squeeze through it and never get the full 500.  Obviously, if everyone in Thailand is trying to use the same pipe between LOS and say London or NY, it will be slow.  Some providers claim they have a "priority" service but I am dubious about that claim.  So, I guess if you get the full 500 from a speed test close to the provider, their claim of 500 is legitimate if not misleading.  The previous poster that said that wifi will never be the same as Ethernet is spot on.  Wifi adds extra overhead and delays.

Well, I'd say that you are connecting to your router using 2.4 GHz WiFi and that their laptop is connecting using the 5 GHz WiFi.  That's why theirs is so much faster than yours.  It could be that to take advantage of the fast speeds, you need to buy better equipment.  Connecting to the router using an ethernet cable usually provides a quick connection but I've seen some old 100 Mbps cards in PCs that slowed things down.  I replaced a 100 card in a PC with a gigabit card and the speedtest numbers went up.  But then, we had to put a new wireless PCI card in to speed up the WiFi and enable it to make 5 GHz connections.  You can sometimes upgrade the WiFI on laptops if you can get inside the case, but most often it's best simply to put your hand in your pocket and buy a new laptop.

The newer versions of 5 GHz WiFi (802.11ac) run really quickly and give you gigabit speeds, but not many routers and not many laptops and PC's support it in full yet. Those saying that "WiFI will never be the same as ethernet" are entirely, totally and absolutely wrong.  Take a look at 802.11ax and what the WiFi Alliance is proposing and get out from under that rock!  Do some research on Wikipedia, use Google, find out about WiFi numbering, the list is endless.

• Like 1

I'm sorry I did not make it clear that I am connected by cable to my PC and the test server  I use is always 3BB Bangkok.  Yet different browsers still give me different figures, I do realise they are never going to be exactly the same but surely there shouldn't be such a difference.   My android phone by wifi says 50 - 60 Mbps using an app, not a browser.

My wife today me today that one of the engineers did make disparaging remarks about the age of my PC.  It's at least 5 years old and may be 10.  I  replaced  the C drive with an SSD  a year ago but that's the only change in ages.  But I will look to upgrade.  

Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm sorry I did not make it clear that I am connected by cable to my PC and the test server  I use is always 3BB Bangkok.  Yet different browsers still give me different figures, I do realise they are never going to be exactly the same but surely there shouldn't be such a difference.   My android phone by wifi says 50 - 60 Mbps using an app, not a browser.
My wife today me today that one of the engineers did make disparaging remarks about the age of my PC.  It's at least 5 years old and may be 10.  I  replaced  the C drive with an SSD  a year ago but that's the only change in ages.  But I will look to upgrade.  
Thanks for the advice so far.

I'm not sure you're really understanding what this is all about. I have the 500 Mbps package but I get a maximum download of around 60 Mbps per second from websites hosted on servers overseas. I don't know why you are concerned by the speed. If you are downloading pretty quickly and you are streaming video on YouTube without buffering then you are doing fine. If you're looking at YouTube and it's playing perfectly it doesn't make any difference if you've got 60 or 500 does it?

On 4/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, lungbing said:

No difference, except that I am paying 1,200 baht plus VAT for a service that I could pay a lot less for.  And again I state that my 50 Mbps is to the 3BB Bangkok server, not abroad.

If technicians can get 500 mbps on their laptop and you can't get from your computer, then the problem lies in your old computer.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:37 PM, lungbing said:

No difference, except that I am paying 1,200 baht plus VAT for a service that I could pay a lot less for.  And again I state that my 50 Mbps is to the 3BB Bangkok server, not abroad. 

That's why i use 3bb's 100/100 fibre for 590 a month. Does the 500/500 actually give you any advantage. I have the same issue though. When i use Ookla speedtest to Bangkok i get the 100/100 but if i use TestMy.net i get 4Mbps!!

16 hours ago, lungbing said:

Yes, but where?

Quote: Starting to wonder if the cpu isn't fast enough to measure the faster downloads speeds with the overheads of the browser. 

Obtained from here ...

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/114394-inconsistent-speedtest-net-results-slow-firefox-chrome.html

• Like 1

Cracked it!    It's bloody Kaspersky anti-virus.  I paused that and the download figure goes off the scale.  Thanks for everybody's help.  Now to find an anti-virus that doesn't half-cripple my downloads.

• Like 1

Avast.  So far i know there is still a free version. I can't remember why I've had the basic paid version for the past 4 years or so, but it doesn't cost much, even with a bad $ exchange rate.
I think you could configure it to ignore specific downloads / specific sites.
Otherwise, many people now say Windows Defender is fine, does the job fine. (Windows 10.)
At least you know now, you're better off without Kaspersky.

16 hours ago, lungbing said:

Cracked it!    It's bloody Kaspersky anti-virus.  I paused that and the download figure goes off the scale.  Thanks for everybody's help.  Now to find an anti-virus that doesn't half-cripple my downloads.

I use Kaspersky and have no issues with Internet connections. I don't however use Kaspersky Secure Connect - which comes with the Kaspersky paid version; if I need a VPN I use the one I already pay for. Just make sure Secure Connect is disabled.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:06 AM, Henryford said:

That's why i use 3bb's 100/100 fibre for 590 a month. Does the 500/500 actually give you any advantage. I have the same issue though. When i use Ookla speedtest to Bangkok i get the 100/100 but if i use TestMy.net i get 4Mbps!!

People paying higher monthly fees gets better prioritization and international bandwidth. 

I get minimum 40 Mbps on testmy.net and that is a single connection. I pay 1200 baht + VAT a month.

7 hours ago, muratremix said:

I pay 1200 baht + VAT a month.

We have TOT Fibre 2U 200/100 for Bht900 per month - I'd be hoping for better 40Mbps as a minimum. This is what I get for a 200Mb download.

singapore.png

Singapore

london.png

London

LA.png

San Francisco

First results were from the desktop connected via LAN to the router. These results are from my media box up on the 4th floor connected via LAN cable and a pair of Powerline adapters.

W26wxreba.png

Singapore

VMU_HDmNs.png

San Francisco

_U_kHX1o2.png

London