Air pollution surpasses measurable levels

webfact

42 minutes ago, farang63 said:

this is not the way to solve the problem, the problem of fires is resolved by training the soldiers and sending them around day and night and controlling the areas and thus arresting the people who put fire and put them in prison for years, confiscate their assets in based on the damage they did and close off, delimit the area with a no-transit zone, look for mushrooms and everything for 10 years, oblige the farmers not to burn the stubble with a minimum processing of the rice stubble, fertilize the soil and eliminate the smoke the fire burns, for those who do not respect these orders confiscate the land and all their property for years and put incendiaries in prison for years, around, send the soldiers to check the countryside day and night, those who burn plastic and stuff to stop seize their property and in prison for years, within 1-2 years eliminated the problem and eliminated many stupid unconscious people who do not respect the environment

I'm all for arresting both the people doing the burning and the landowners.  Arrest them and parade them on TV for all to see....public shaming.  Do this for about a year and after several hundred people are in jail, things might improve. 

• Like 2

I'm surprised that the health authorities and hospitals haven't released any figures yet on premature deaths and respiratory admissions over the past month due to the toxic air up north.. 

It wouldn't surprise many if attributed deaths were quite high particularly for the vulnerable groups, elderly, young children and those with chronic health issues.. As well as the effects on normal healthy citizens breathing this toxic air 24/7.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“We have now contacted the United States and Australia, both of which have forest fire-fighting units, to arrange relevant training,” Apirat said. 

Why don't they downsize the army, reduce the purchase of tanks, APCs, and submarines and instead create permanent disaster relief battalions? All year training and permanent  stations throughout the country. More firefighting and flood prevention equipment. Do they have a Corps of Engineers? Seems to be a bigger chance of natural disasters than invasions from other countries.

• Like 2

Seems to be a bigger chance of natural disasters than invasions from other countries.

Come now - you are talking 'common-sense'.  No place for that sort of talk in Thailand... ????

• Like 1

Forest fires are NOT the main source of the smoke. That is a smoke screen, meant to deflect criticism, and help the hapless army avoid taking responsibility for a crisis under their watch. They have failed miserably. They have let down their people in an astonishing and devastating fashion, and for this, they should not be allowed to remain in power.

The main sources of smoke are cane burning. This is something that can be controlled. And nobody is making any effort to do so. One has to assume the sugar industry has deep pocketed and influential lobbyists. Also, the diesel power plants. And lastly, the proliferation of diesel vehicles here, and the toxic fumes they spew when not maintained properly. Countries all over the world are actively phasing out diesel vehicles, and Thailand is embracing them! Seems that a lot of the car and truck manufacturers are looking at Thailand as the place to dump unwanted diesel vehicles. They are clean on the highway, and when maintained properly. But around the city, they are filthy. And how often do you think the average Thai changes his oil, which is essential for the efficient running of a diesel motor. Clean oil. Without it, we get what we have right now. PPM2.5 of 500 or higher. People are dying. The situation with regard to the air is completely out of control. Bangkok and Chiang Mai, are the new Beijing and Delhi. Such a proud achievement for Prayuth and his hapless boys.

There is so much the army could be doing, if they cared. They had 60 months to prove they cared, and to prove they were competent. Utter failure on both counts. Go away. Get out. Let the people save themselves, as you are utterly incapable.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, owenm said:

I'm surprised that the health authorities and hospitals haven't released any figures yet on premature deaths and respiratory admissions over the past month due to the toxic air up north.. 

It wouldn't surprise many if attributed deaths were quite high particularly for the vulnerable groups, elderly, young children and those with chronic health issues.. As well as the effects on normal healthy citizens breathing this toxic air 24/7.. 

A few years back, there were reports in the news of there being so many people with serious respiratory issues due to smoke from the burnings that the hospitals couldn't deal with the load, 20,000 cases of people having to be hospitalized in the north alone I think it was.

From what I understand the villagers or farmers burn the undergrowth every year.they have being told don,t do it for many years.they don,t listen and powers to be do nothing to stop them.just look in the sky and see the air reason enough to stop doing that.they must be so stupid it affects themselves and everyone else.one day they will learn I suppose 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, laocowboy2 said:

I can see the spin already - Smog Problem Stabilizes Following PM's Visit - "It's not getting worse as readings are now steady" 

Yes, steady. Very high but steady !

Quite the accomplishment.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And how often do you think the average Thai changes his oil, which is essential for the efficient running of a diesel motor. Clean oil. Without it, we get what we have right now. PPM2.5 of 500 or higher.

You wrote the same thing a month or two ago, and I asked you to expand your theory on this. Well, you didn't, hence I'm asking again.

BTW, the bolded part is absolutely nonsens.

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

There is a better chance of winning the lottery than fixing the smog problem in 7 days. 

Let it be written, let it be done.

In Thailand if it's written then it's already done. 

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Why don't they downsize the army, reduce the purchase of tanks, APCs, and submarines and instead create permanent disaster relief battalions? All year training and permanent  stations throughout the country. More firefighting and flood prevention equipment. Do they have a Corps of Engineers? Seems to be a bigger chance of natural disasters than invasions from other countries.

Please stop suggesting things that make sense! 

• Haha 1

Columbia U. didn't even declare an El Nino, and it's not a big one, until a few weeks ago.  it's not a major El Nino.  no one is curious, and no one is reporting to us as to where the drought prediction came from.  what it is based on.  I would want to know more about predicting rainfall.  information for grown ups. 

the reason I "feel" that this is important is that we only have about 60 years of basic oceanographic data on the ENSO, and yet it is very critical to SE Asia and living here to know what is going on.  as much detail as possible.  I watch Tony Barnston every few weeks, but his perspective is USA, not SE Asia. almost opposite effects in terms of rain, but not heat.  we use proxies such as measuring isotopes of oxygen in certain kinds of plankton because 60 years is not a big enough of a sample size to figure out the big picture on the ENSO.  I would like to see more information on what the drought prediction is based on.  it's not just the ENSO, what do they look at to make predictions?  it's not easy to find at all.  I have tried many times.  the media treats us as if we were morons.  more details please!  this is important stuff.  not just the smoke.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

You wrote the same thing a month or two ago, and I asked you to expand your theory on this. Well, you didn't, hence I'm asking again.

BTW, the bolded part is absolutely nonsens.

And I replied. And you ignored it. Really? I have to educate you about the issues pertaining to diesel engines that are not well maintained? 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

And I replied. And you ignored it. Really? I have to educate you about the issues pertaining to diesel engines that are not well maintained? 

Ok, I missed your reply, sorry. But yes, educate me how not following normal oil changes in diesel engines could cause 'black smoke' and get the PPM2.5 levels to 500? Thank you.

Serious question btw.

20 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Ok, I missed your reply, sorry. But yes, educate me how not following normal oil changes in diesel engines could cause 'black smoke' and get the PPM2.5 levels to 500? Thank you.

Serious question btw.

I am not saying that diesel alone is responsible for the current issues. But, it is a significant part of the problem. And in my opinion, with the issues facing Thailand, there is simply no need for diesel cars and trucks to be permitted on the road.

In Thailand, manufacturers are pushing to delay implementation of Euro 6 standards from 2020 to 2028. The list goes on. Even if Europe somehow manages to solve its problem of high diesel car emissions over the next several years, it is likely to persist for much longer in Asia and Africa unless something happens to change things.

We know much more about the global health impacts of high real-world NOx emissions. A study published earlier this year in Nature,  in which some of my colleagues at the International Council on Clean Transportation were involved, estimated that excess diesel vehicle NOx emissions – amounts greater than are already nominally permitted under regulations – were linked to about 38,000 premature deaths worldwide in 2015, mostly in the EU, China, and India. The study projected that the impact of all real-world diesel NOx emissions, both permitted and “excess”, will grow to 183,600 early deaths in 2040.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/07/death-diesel-why-no-reverse-gear

2835.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not saying that diesel alone is responsible for the current issues. But, it is a significant part of the problem. And in my opinion, with the issues facing Thailand, there is simply no need for diesel cars and trucks to be permitted on the road.

In Thailand, manufacturers are pushing to delay implementation of Euro 6 standards from 2020 to 2028. The list goes on. Even if Europe somehow manages to solve its problem of high diesel car emissions over the next several years, it is likely to persist for much longer in Asia and Africa unless something happens to change things.

We know much more about the global health impacts of high real-world NOx emissions. A study published earlier this year in Nature,  in which some of my colleagues at the International Council on Clean Transportation were involved, estimated that excess diesel vehicle NOx emissions – amounts greater than are already nominally permitted under regulations – were linked to about 38,000 premature deaths worldwide in 2015, mostly in the EU, China, and India. The study projected that the impact of all real-world diesel NOx emissions, both permitted and “excess”, will grow to 183,600 early deaths in 2040.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/07/death-diesel-why-no-reverse-gear

2835.jpg

Spider Mike.  I like your posts.  But he has got you on this one.  How clean or dirty the oil is in a diesel engine will have no impact whatsoever on its emissions.

What will make a difference is the state of the piston rings, injectors, and fume reticulation system.

• Like 2