Denied entry at Poipet for no onward flight, can I cross at another land border 3 days later?

Hello all, thanks for the help in advance. I know now about PP\Aran border, but someone using Google to check visa runs without modifing the search dates is in the same adventure I have been on. I've entered Thailand about 4 times in the last 12 months, not more than once this year by land on a visa exemption. I extended my last stay and left on time, I have never overstayed anywhere, except in Cambodia once by 2 days. This border bounce, I got the nasty woman in the 3rd booth, and she pulled me out. Upon not being able to produce an exit flight, I was denied entry, asked to sign a document or two and had a photo taken via cell phone. No stamp placed in my passport except the cancellation of the Cambodian exit stamp. Can I re-enter at a different land crossing without problems? I am currently in Siem Reap. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. ????

OP, consider yourself lucky that they didn't put a denial stamp in your passport, looks like the "nasty woman in the 3rd booth" had her nice day. That being the case, however, I'm surprised that you had to sign papers.

Correction, they did stamp my passport I thought it was Cambodian, but they did, and are now not letting me board at the Airport without cash in my pocket, nothing about a return flight.line_1554358245608.thumb.jpg.3e521f61e769828119032c18b9cda1d3.jpg

Edited by ubonjoe
removed photos with personal info on them

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The stamp will not be a problem at other border crossings. Others have gotten one at Poi Pet and entered the country at a different crossing without a problem.

And flying into DMK? The gate agent at REP had dire warnings about them wanting to see cash, but I told him I have onward flight and hotel, he reluctantly let me pass.

Edited by Jmmwa8220
Personal info

Hey all, thanks for your help, DMK was super easy, the lady at the desk flagged me to the supervisor because of my previous denial. He kindly asked me for my return flight and nothing else. O showed a return flight from Expedia, screenshot, from one of the onward flight sites, with a real Thai Smile number and was waved on in about 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

Absolutely beyond me how someone can be denied at one border and then be told you'll be fine at the others. The first denial will obviously put a entry into the immigration system why would anyone subsequently let them in.

Bizarre advice

Edited to add yep the immigration officer did indeed make that entry as per overlapping previous post

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jmmwa8220 said:

Hey all, thanks for your help, DMK was super easy, the lady at the desk flagged me to the supervisor because of my previous denial. He kindly asked me for my return flight and nothing else. O showed a return flight from Expedia, screenshot, from one of the onward flight sites, with a real Thai Smile number and was waved on in about 5 minutes. 

You are very lucky.  It was a risky-thing to try flying in with that denial-stamp.  Any land-border other than Poipet-Aranya from Cambodia is fine.

You should always have an outgoing flight plus 10K Baht worth of Cash (or travelers checks), plus proof of where you will be staying when entering Thailand Visa-Exempt.  With a Tourist Visa, you should carry 20K Baht worth of Cash.  These requirements are published rules. 

At bad entry points, they may prevent your entry for illegal, unpublished rules.  DMK is famous for this - even with everything required, you could still have been denied.

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Absolutely beyond me how someone can be denied at one border and then be told you'll be fine at the others. The first denial will obviously put a entry into the immigration system why would anyone subsequently let them in.

Bizarre advice

Some entry-points are horrible, others really bad, and others run according to the published rules.  All land-borders except Poipet are in the "rule following" category. 

The OP started at a horrible entry-point then switched to a very bad one.  I am surprised they did not block his entry at DMK - but glad to hear it.  I suppose they already had the detention-cells full / paid-up (they take money for your detention) at the time.

17 hours ago, Jmmwa8220 said:

Correction, they did stamp my passport I thought it was Cambodian, but they did, and are now not letting me board at the Airport without cash in my pocket, nothing about a return flight.

So you haven't learned and continue to challenge the system.

You were denied entry in Poipet and now you are flying to BKK without the required cash, knowing fully well they won't take screen shots or online proof of funds or bank balances.

12 hours ago, Chivas said:

Bizarre advice

Edited to add yep the immigration officer did indeed make that entry as per overlapping previous post

Not bizarre advice at all.

A bizarre situation but factual, knowledgeable and helpful advice from someone who knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can enter at a different border crossing without a problem.

There are two crossings you use south of Poi Pet. Or north from Siem Reap to the Chong Chom crossing to Surin province.

the two border south of Poi Pet not stamp into Thailand while having the denied entry stamp from Poi Pet.

I can not comment for Chong Chom.

9 minutes ago, visarunner said:

the two border south of Poi Pet not stamp into Thailand while having the denied entry stamp from Poi Pet.

I can not comment for Chong Chom.

I have seen posts by people that went to one of the crossing south of Poi Pet and were able to enter the country.

Chong Chom is ok and has been done. 

On 4/4/2019 at 10:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can enter at a different border crossing without a problem.

There are two crossings you use south of Poi Pet. Or north from Siem Reap to the Chong Chom crossing to Surin province.

I was just in that area 2 months ago we were planning on going to Surin and we ended up down there by the border I saw the crossing you’re talking about.  My first year here before I started getting extensions every year I always did border crossings at Poi Pet, and back then Poi Pet was still an awesome place to cross not anymore from what I hear ever since the end of 2015.  Turns out that area you’re talking about near Surin would’ve been closer than Poi Pet maybe a little bit closer but I don’t know I think the drive was just as long if I remember right.  Poi Pet was about a 3 hour drive if I remember right, and a few months ago when we were near the border crossing outside of Surin Province I’m not exactly sure how long the drive was because we were sightseeing and making a lot of stops but if I remember right I think it actually was a little closer.  I’d have to Google it to be sure but it doesn’t matter now because I don’t have to make border crossings anymore.  

I actually didn’t mind doing the border crossings they were kind of fun actually my first year here at least because Cambodia was one of the few places I actually had not been to at the time.  These days I much prefer 90 day reporting then border crossings every 90 days.  There’s a lot more security with one year extensions every year.  And this is the longest time in years that I’ve ever just stayed in one place without constantly traveling all over the world.  

• Like 1