Help: My son has been arrested for overstay

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

If he can’t pay the court fine he can be put in prison until he pays. And remain in the IDC indefinitely until he can fly out.

Does Thailand really hold you in this detention hole for years if you don't have the funds to fligh out? Unbelievable!

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Does Thailand really hold you in this detention hole for years if you don't have the funds to fligh out? Unbelievable!

Yes it does. As do many other countries.

• Like 1

I would be interested in knowing how the "son" is communicating with the OP?  How would the "son" make an international phone call from Jail?  Will UK embassy help with communication? 

Someone mentioned getting 40,000 baht to the "son" in jail -you wouldnt want to do that to someone in a cell with 20-40 other inmates correct? I assume you would go to the detention center/jail and ask to pay the person's fine?  How would the "son" make flight arrangements from jail? Someone else would make the flight arrangements while he is in jail correct?

Edited by Skallywag

1 minute ago, pattayadude said:

if I were you, if you can afford it, be on the first flight to Bangkok with $5000 in your pocket, in cash, to pay for fines and possible extra expenses (a personal debt to a friend, unpaid bills etc) and you will be able to take control of the whole situation and clear everything if you are there in person.from far its almost impossible or too difficult

If he lived there for a long time, chances are he has accumulated stuff. someone has to get in his apartment and pack up his belongings to take back to UK and that would be You, with all respect sir

And if there is a rented apartment very soon the rent will be overdue and there's another issue to take care of. And it's possible the landlord will change the locks and not allow access untilt the rent is all up to date. 

4 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

if I were you, if you can afford it,I'd be on the first flight to Bangkok with $5000 in my pocket, in cash, to pay for fines and possible extra expenses (a personal debt to a friend, unpaid bills etc) and this way, I'd will be able to take control of the whole situation and clear everything if I were there in person.from far its almost impossible or too difficult

My first thought too, although in hindsight I wondered if being there personally flashing money around under the policemen's noses might make the process more expensive. I might try liaising with British consular officials at the UK end initially to see what the progress is, with a likelihood that getting over to Thailand with sufficient funds may become necessary. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

How's that? Because it's a tourist destination (as are 90% of the countries in the world) are you suggesting that nobody should be detained for breaking the law?

In the case of folks caught overstay (which is considered very serious in many countries, Australia just one example is very serious about this subject) if they are released back into the community they will never re-appear, meaning that that country has not been serious in protecting it's citizens from folks who have broken laws. 

You talk as though Thailand is some kind of utopia where nobody breaks rules and every law is adhered to . 

People don't go to jail for murder here, but an overstay of a visa and banged up

I'm mainly talking about the conditions these people are placed in, and sometimes for a considerable amount of time. 

You obviously didn't read about the two men who died recently in these cesspits. One was an old amputee wearing pampers and the other had TB. 

What a wonderful system!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And if there is a rented apartment very soon the rent will be overdue and there's another issue to take care of. And it's possible the landlord will change the locks and not allow access untilt the rent is all up to date. 

Agreed, however I did cover the rent issue since I edited my post

2 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

You talk as though Thailand is some kind of utopia where nobody breaks rules and every law is adhered to . 

People don't go to jail for murder here, but an overstay of a visa and banged up

I'm mainly talking about the conditions these people are placed in, and sometimes for a considerable amount of time. 

You obviously didn't read about the two men who died recently in these cesspits. One was an old amputee wearing pampers and the other had TB. 

What a wonderful system!

Not really the point is it?

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So how do detainees make calls or contact if their phones are not with them?

From what I have read, everything in that facility is done by bribing the guards, or the "head man" in the cell (who partners with the guards, sort of like "agents" in local immigration offices).  Better food, phone-calls, etc - all done via this system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

From what I have read, everything in that facility is done by bribing the guards, or the "head man" in the cell (who partners with the guards, sort of like "agents" in local immigration offices).  Better food, phone-calls, etc - all done via this system.

what???!!! corruption .... in Thailand ???? Better tell Uncle Tu and Big Yolk

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

How would you have spending power? I would have thought they would relieve you of your personal possessions pretty quickly!

Edited by Sticky Wicket
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

How would you have spending power? I would have thought they would relieve you of your personal possessions pretty quickly!

Did you see or read Papillon?

I believe you give money to guards or need help from outside. It sure sounds glum and not the place to be if you are elderly, infirmed or of a weak disposition. Sounds like they would let you die in there. 

Edited by jacko45k

Richard smith237 summed it up well enough.

I will add he must fly back to UK with THAI no other airline acceptable. You will have to pay THAI airfare quoted plus a fine which could be 12000 baht or 20000. Depends a lot on your sons conduct.

The sooner you send the money the sooner he leaves.

• Confused 1

OP has really not given much info about son's predicament ( any other reason for arrest BESIDES overstay?)

Unfortunately,  if no friend here to assist in the process........ coming here would be the most reliable solution to get son out.  But father probably has no clue how to go about that either.  Tough one if that is the case.  Who to trust ????

The plus sign '+' character is designed to indicate that the international dialling number must be inserted, followed by country number and then the individual telephone number less the first '0'. On a smart phone, using the '+' will obviate the need to insert those pesky little numbers yourself (as different countries / operators may do different numbers than the standard '00'), as you travel the world. Glad to have got that off my chest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Cash you had when entering, plus any provided by friends, etc.  Some report being taken to an ATM by the guards (for a fee, of course).

It's really a good idea to always have some extra cash on you (or easily available) when you're in Thailand, you never know what is going to happen, it can make your life much much easier and take you out of the sh@t.

• Like 2