UK PM May asks EU for Brexit delay until June 30

webfact

1 minute ago, talahtnut said:

Populist, a supporter of the rights and power of the people.

Somehow you have been convinced that it is a derogatory term.

A prime example of manipulation.

Yeah, Hitler was a supporter for rights and power of people? 

See a doctor, it's urgent 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Being a Royalist and a Unionist..the UK ROYAL FAMILY ARE HERE TO STAY.
Getting rid of the granny n grandpa farm..I'd do that in a heartbeat

Apart from what you are saying is untrue, going by that theory you would be in favour of getting rid of the Lords and the Royal family?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

7 hours ago, evadgib said:

From a left-footed Corbynista! ????

All we are saying is give JC a chance,

cannot be any worse, than the shamble we have in goverment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Unelected meaning jobsworths like drunkard tusk..the citizens of europe have no say in electing these jobsworths..cos the citizens are not even a number to these turds

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Why do not post like all others here your opinion under the quoted statment?

It hinders the reading flow for everyone.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Becker said:

Seems like you were wrong about this too:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/05/uk/theresa-may-brexit-extension-gbr-intl/index.html

Good luck with the hard Brexit - you will certainly need it. I do feel bad though for my Brit friends and for young people who did not vote for this monumental eff-up and have to live with the consequences.

For you Brexiteers: Som nam nah!

That article does not support your conclusion. It flat out says that 

The diplomatic source doubted whether, ultimately, any of the member states would opt to send the UK over the cliff at next week's summit.

Countries in the EU are going to grouse a lot about it, but I will be surprised if a long extension is not ultimately granted. This is why the Brexiters are making such a big deal right now about being obstructionists on all EU policy, despite May's assurances that the UK will behave nicely. They need to force someone in the EU to deny May's request and trigger a hard brexit, or else risk being permanently stuck.  If I were an EU leader, I would take their threat seriously. The UK is hopelessly divided, and May's reassurances mean very little at present. Keeping them in the union when they are squabbling like this is a really risky move. But somehow I don't think anyone is going to want be responsible for pushing them out.

Tough call, this one. Glad I'm not the guy who has to make it.

1 hour ago, John V said:

Brexit. Italy and Poland are forming an anti-EU alliance. Hungary has built fences around its borders. Germany is moving towards Russia for its energy supply. Serbia is refusing to obey mass-immigration EU laws … The whole idea of no nation states in a cultureless mass of Europeans is falling apart.

When I compare the EU to the SSR it’s because I was there and saw exactly the same system. Top down directives, the same five year plans, vote for representatives but not vote it out … the EU is simply a European update. To those who think they’ve discovered something new and exciting – you haven’t. What you will get is a never ending bureaucratic red-tape nightmare of directives and fines if you disobey, because that’s the only way it can work.

Is this the sort of society you want to live in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=MGeDX-6DINM

Come on and convince me. Why would the UK want to be a part of this?

Not convincing you , not even trying ….only wondered what is taking the unhappy U.K. so long  to leave …..no glue on the seats or chains on feet …..just no courage to walk out seems …..

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

On balance, I think the UK should leave the EU to help mend deep rifts in the UK population, but on terms that would not damage our economy any further than it has already, that the pound strengthens, and that a close trade agreement with the EU single market is maintained.

In that, to prevent a backstop of an Irish border, and to honour the Good Friday agreement it is essential the UK remains in the Customs Union. That is a compromise that May must offer, as I for one am content with the current trading agreements in situ with Europe and with 41 other countries outside the EU.

How any reasonable person could not see that it is the most sensible option out of a nonsensical Brexit, is beyond me. To prefer crashing out with no deal just to say we're out with no appreciation of the devastation to the UK economy and devaluation of the pound and massive transport tailbacks at UK's major ports is a ludicrous and selfish mind-set - the cost of which will be borne by our children and grandchildren for decades. 

• Like 1

Brexit: I had no choice but to approach Labour - May

Prime Minister Theresa May has insisted she had to reach out to Labour in a bid to deliver Brexit or risk letting it "slip through our fingers".

In a statement on Saturday night, Mrs May said there was a "stark choice" of either leaving the European Union with a deal or not leaving at all.

Some Conservatives have criticised her for seeking Labour's help after MPs rejected her Brexit plan three times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47842572

"Mrs May said there was a "stark choice" of either leaving the European Union with a deal or not leaving at all".

Talks with Labour were a none starter, Only a fool would think any different.

So there we have it, she has played her last card 2_of_spades_by_macbaby_dy2lzp-pre.jpg.0d6114b2223c1ba23ae1ed1bd82a8dc9.jpg...a deuce.

We are not leaving at all.

:burp:

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

"Mrs May said there was a "stark choice" of either leaving the European Union with a deal or not leaving at all".

Talks with Labour were a none starter, Only a fool would think any different.

So there we have it, she has played her last card 2_of_spades_by_macbaby_dy2lzp-pre.jpg.0d6114b2223c1ba23ae1ed1bd82a8dc9.jpg...a deuce.

We are not leaving at all.

:burp:

What she means is - support my deal or we don't leave. To my mind that's continuing blackmail, because her deal has been rejected three times as being worse than remaining in the EU.

If she would only compromise - a word that is not yet in her dictionary -  on her red lines, she could and should get a consensus by parliament. It won't be to everyones liking, but tough-titty you got what you voted for - that's to LEAVE the EU as per the referendum ballot paper choice.

Edited by stephenterry
correction
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

What she means is - support my deal or we don't leave. To my mind that's continuing blackmail, because her deal has been rejected three times as being worse than remaining in the EU.

Every type of Brexit is worse than remaining in the EU. It’s all about damage control. And for that, May’s deal delivers both perfectly, leaving the EU while having a transition period so the UK can transition from leaving the EU into whatever new type of relationship is being negotiated without disruption. 

31 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

If she would only compromise - a word that is not yet in her dictionary -  on her red lines, she could and should get a consensus by parliament. It won't be to everyones liking, but tough-titty you got what you voted for - that's to LEAVE the EU as per the referendum ballot paper choice.

Her deal does deliver what was written on the ballot paper. There was not ballot paper saying “no transition period”. 

25 minutes ago, John V said:

The reason for the delay is that a large amount of politicians don’t want the UK to leave. Leaving the EU benefits the country and its people, not the politicians. Leaving doesn’t mean ‘crashing out’ with threats of fines, or half in and half out, or continuing referendums until the EU gets the right answer. It means not being tied into a single market and being told what the UK can produce and who it must sell to. It means no more paying £10bn annually to Europe and for the people, prices being reduced by 20% as VAT is abolished. It means more available jobs for the indigenous population as borders are closed …

Conversely, the remainers can’t see how the UK could survive alone. It will survive by selling to the world, as it did do for hundreds of years before the EU was invented. The EU elite are terrified of Brexit as it means they’re starting to lose the dictatorial grip on countries and if Britain succeeds without it, there will be a mad scramble for the exit.

This is why the political elite don’t want Brexit.

The EU gravy train

MEPs second pension: 'gravy train' pay and perks of MEPs

I can understand your explanation … correct and well thought about ...BUT this was not explained when the referendum came up …. isn't it ….? THAT is the real problem and because that the U.K. is now in a total mess (and for years politically ..) Now the facts comes up not the blind ideology anymore ,and wait when the people count their penny's as a Brexit result ...

But please go ahead ,because we as E.U. has had it …. enough is too much already ! 

Not the fault of E.U.  as it is the U.K. who is leaving ,not the E.U.....

Edited by david555

48 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Every type of Brexit is worse than remaining in the EU. It’s all about damage control. And for that, May’s deal delivers both perfectly, leaving the EU while having a transition period so the UK can transition from leaving the EU into whatever new type of relationship is being negotiated without disruption. 

Her deal does deliver what was written on the ballot paper. There was not ballot paper saying “no transition period”. 

The ballot paper didn't say 'no Customs Union', no single market, no ECJ, either. That was how TM interpreted the vote and slid it past parliament before they had any idea of the forthcoming repercussions.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

The ballot paper didn't say 'no Customs Union', no single market, no ECJ, either. That was how TM interpreted the vote and slid it past parliament before they had any idea of the forthcoming repercussions.. 

Agree. It only said to leave the EU. It didn’t mention how the post-leave relationship should look like. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, david555 said:

I can understand your explanation … correct and well thought about ...BUT this was not explained when the referendum came up …. isn't it ….? THAT is the real problem and because that the U.K. is now in a total mess (and for years politically ..) Now the facts comes up not the blind ideology anymore ,and wait when the people count their penny's as a Brexit result ...

But please go ahead ,because we as E.U. has had it …. enough is too much already ! 

Not the fault of E.U.  as it is the U.K. who is leaving ,not the E.U.....

The referendum was about in or out. It’s assumed that the voters know the difference in voting for or against the EU, just as they do when they vote labour or conservative in parliamentary elections. Just imagine for a moment if the remainers had got the majority vote. Would the electorate have been accused of not knowing what they voted for, or cries for another referendum vote hoping for a different outcome? In these sort of authoritarian dictatorships you only get one vote and you’re tied in for life.

The mess the political system is now in is a result of the EU. We no longer have a parliament that decides laws, we have a parliament that rubber stamps laws and directives while trying to pretend it’s autonomous. That contradiction goes against what is best for the UK and its population v what is best for Europe. Fishing quotas in national waters, or an immigration open door policy are two examples where what is not best for the UK is not necessarily what someone else decides is best. You can only have one governing body, it’s either the UK parliament, or an unelected commissioner in Europe. The people chose to retain parliamentary sovereignty.

I’m still waiting for someone to explain why being in the EU is preferable to a UK parliamentary system voted for every four years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

This man makes a lot of sense , is a talented speaker and I hope his predictions for Monday happen . The fact that the majority of the cabinet voted for a " leave now no deal " a couple of days ago and that to be completely ignored by TM , coupled with her taking alliance with JC should be raising the alarms . She is hell bent at staying in the EU and not severing our connections with them . The immediate way forward     ( imho ) is a new leader who has no  conflicts of interest and who voted to leave . Just when we think what a debacle over the last year or so and things cannot get any worse , well Im not so sure . If I was reading this event in a fictitious  paperback I would chuckle at the writers imagination .   TM needs to be relieved of her post and possibly sectioned under the mental health act . Her tactics have cost the UK Billions of pounds because of the uncertainty for businesses and at the twelfth hour there is still no solution .  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but some might say that the writing was on the wall when David Davies resigned .

'The fact that the majority of the cabinet voted for a " leave now no deal " a couple of days ago and that to be completely ignored by TM , coupled with her taking alliance with JC should be raising the alarms.'

The cabinet knows that parliament would prevent a no-deal if it came to it. Waste of space most of them. As for Corbyn, his realistic approach of staying in the Customs Union would gain the support of many of his MPs and would help May's deal to pass through.

it's not rocket science, just common-sense.