Beijing, and my China Crisis!

CG1 Blue

On 4/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, mokwit said:

Was going to take a look but then someone told me that even in the 5 star hotels the carpets squelch underfoot as they are so saturated with spit.

regardless if 3,4,5... or 9 stars they spit on the carpet, tiles, even bed shits, when I arrived at any hotel over there the first thing was to call the manager and ask to change the bedding and towels, they kept saying was freshly made but I kept insisting to change, just lift up the bed shit, the lower one and you will ALWAYS  find a lot of hair or other stuff, always did... a pig still a pig even if dressed with a tuxedo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

And if it was two girls?

good thought but at that time very hard by Chinese standards, it did improve later and was double ???? charged 555

i'm currently working in china, even brought the thai girlfriend along to work as well.  no problems at all getting work permits for both of us at the visa center in bangkok.  only real annoyance was the trips to cw for translations and legalizations.

over a decade in china, never a problem at airports or border crossings.  always looked forward to reentry, friendly PLA men in crisp uniforms, no luggage searches, and no tea money...ever.

spend no time in the big cities, only a couple trips to guangzhou to renew passport.  mostly in yunnan, guangxi and hainan.  now on the island, enjoying clean air and light traffic.

spitting and smoking is way down the past few years.  regardless, they generally have no manners or social skills.  driving is worse than thailand.  thankfully most chinese have a genetic fear of acceleration so the chaos on the roads is mostly controlled.

main drawback is the increasing police state feel.  cameras everywhere, and foreigners can't do much.  need a chinese ID card for most things.  banking is a nightmare, can't use internet cafes, many smaller hotels won't take foreign guests, can't rent car/bike outside of few limited areas.

and the noise!  i've got an apartment next to a city park.  dancing grannies every evening from 7-10pm with sound machines a thai would die for!

Like Chou Dufou I've lived in China for over 12 years now.

I've travelled Asia across that time and met expats in every country I've visited.

What comes out of those conversations and is exemplified by this thread is "oh, they aren't like us and that must be a bad thing.' Just read TV and check the attitude towards the Thai people by far too many posters.

Do you know what the Chinese think of a person who coughs or blows their greenies into a tissue and put it in their pocket? Because I know.

And that's only one example.

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:
5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Do you know what the Chinese think of a person who coughs or blows their greenies into a tissue and put it in their pocket?

That they're civilised? 

Carrying a wad of snot around in your pocket is civilized?

I lived in China for around 10 years before moving to BKK for 7.  Over those 10 years, I probably experienced everything the OP mentions, but spread out over 10 years and 60+ R/T journeys, it wasn't any worse than I experienced in BKK (or LAX for that matter).  Air travel sucks ever since deregulation and budget airlines made it affordable to the masses (that's us, BTW).  And it sucks 10x as bad since 9/11.

Like Traubert says, different doesn't mean "bad".  It just means different- and interesting.   Otherwise, why bother leaving your expat ghetto wherever it happens to be- even back home?

On 4/6/2019 at 1:54 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Your story sounds about par for the course to me. The same barbaric Chinese are now Thailand's latest tourist arrivals. I wonder if the Chinese and the Thais deserve each other?

The Chinese are also the next world economic super power. God help the planet if they take over. Love him or loath him, Trump is the saviour of the Western world.

Many Mainland Chinese do behave like cavemen,

but their biggest offence is that they hurt the feelings of many people.  

Many people's feelings of white supremacy.  

Mainland Chinese work like dogs 60 hours a week because they fear hunger,

not because they want to challenge the supremacy of some people.  

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Carrying a wad of snot around in your pocket is civilized?

I lived in China for around 10 years before moving to BKK for 7.  Over those 10 years, I probably experienced everything the OP mentions, but spread out over 10 years and 60+ R/T journeys, it wasn't any worse than I experienced in BKK (or LAX for that matter).  Air travel sucks ever since deregulation and budget airlines made it affordable to the masses (that's us, BTW).  And it sucks 10x as bad since 9/11.

Like Traubert says, different doesn't mean "bad".  It just means different- and interesting.   Otherwise, why bother leaving your expat ghetto wherever it happens to be- even back home?

Personally I don't carry snot around, but those that do - I'd say that's better than hacking it up and spitting it all around for other people to walk in, sit on etc.

And the 6yr old kid in McDonalds who spat all over me - where do you think he picked that habit up from? It wasn't from Ronald McDonald...

On 4/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, bkkgriz said:

I went to China 20 years ago. I see nothing has changed. The average person may be a little richer, but money can't buy class.

Mainland Chinese still work 60 hours a week because they fear hunger, 

don't expect third world people to know what class is. 

As of now, there is still 100 million of them willing to do assembly line work 60 hours a week for only 4000 yuan a month.

12 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Personally I don't carry snot around, but those that do - I'd say that's better than hacking it up and spitting it all around for other people to walk in, sit on etc.

And the 6yr old kid in McDonalds who spat all over me - where do you think he picked that habit up from? It wasn't from Ronald McDonald...

They behave like cavemen because they grew up without modern facilities or resources like us. 

When we were growing up, we have toilets with running water;

they have outhouses with maggots and flies.  

We buy chemical fertilizer for our gardens, 

they save their shit and piss in a big stinky container. 

For third world people, filth is all relative to whatever.  

Just feel blessed for what we have, and let the third world slowly modernize.  

15 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

i'm currently working in china, even brought the thai girlfriend along to work as well.  no problems at all getting work permits for both of us at the visa center in bangkok.  only real annoyance was the trips to cw for translations and legalizations.

over a decade in china, never a problem at airports or border crossings.  always looked forward to reentry, friendly PLA men in crisp uniforms, no luggage searches, and no tea money...ever.

spend no time in the big cities, only a couple trips to guangzhou to renew passport.  mostly in yunnan, guangxi and hainan.  now on the island, enjoying clean air and light traffic.

spitting and smoking is way down the past few years.  regardless, they generally have no manners or social skills.  driving is worse than thailand.  thankfully most chinese have a genetic fear of acceleration so the chaos on the roads is mostly controlled.

main drawback is the increasing police state feel.  cameras everywhere, and foreigners can't do much.  need a chinese ID card for most things.  banking is a nightmare, can't use internet cafes, many smaller hotels won't take foreign guests, can't rent car/bike outside of few limited areas.

and the noise!  i've got an apartment next to a city park.  dancing grannies every evening from 7-10pm with sound machines a thai would die for!

Hainan (haikou but mostly Sanya) used to be packed with Russians, they own the majority of the hotels, they fit well in China as they are as loud as the Chinese

14 hours ago, Traubert said:

Like Chou Dufou I've lived in China for over 12 years now.

I've travelled Asia across that time and met expats in every country I've visited.

What comes out of those conversations and is exemplified by this thread is "oh, they aren't like us and that must be a bad thing.' Just read TV and check the attitude towards the Thai people by far too many posters.

Do you know what the Chinese think of a person who coughs or blows their greenies into a tissue and put it in their pocket? Because I know.

And that's only one example.

you never got pissed by them? even when they push and cut lines not respecting who came first

5 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Just feel blessed for what we have, and let the third world slowly modernize.  

in regards to China we will have a long or very long wait.... they think their way is the best, try to teach them something new or a different way of doing something and you will see their reaction/attitude, in Chinese language there is not word to express logic (confucious removed that word) thus they don't have any,

20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

in regards to China we will have a long or very long wait.... they think their way is the best, try to teach them something new or a different way of doing something and you will see their reaction/attitude, in Chinese language there is not word to express logic (confucious removed that word) thus they don't have any,

Everyone think that their way is the best, include the Muslim extremist, the Western countries that issue unlimited public assistance to encourage teen age mothers.  The Chinese no longer think making zillions of babies will lead to success, in big cities they have actually cured public indoor cigarette smoking. 

Mainland Chinese no longer spit inside average shopping malls, they spit on the main entrance before going in.  All small Chinese towns now have regular municipal garbage pick up just like any other western cities.  The super wealthy all have their children go to international schools staff by Australians and Singaporeans.        

Compare to the Philippines and Indonesia, China is a more modernized third world country.         

5 hours ago, Johnnyngai said:

Everyone think that their way is the best, include the Muslim extremist, the Western countries that issue unlimited public assistance to encourage teen age mothers.  The Chinese no longer think making zillions of babies will lead to success, in big cities they have actually cured public indoor cigarette smoking. 

Mainland Chinese no longer spit inside average shopping malls, they spit on the main entrance before going in.  All small Chinese towns now have regular municipal garbage pick up just like any other western cities.  The super wealthy all have their children go to international schools staff by Australians and Singaporeans.        

Compare to the Philippines and Indonesia, China is a more modernized third world country.         

however your last comment makes it easy to understand... they still a third world country

Archived