Beijing, and my China Crisis!

CG1 Blue

I love to visit new places across Asia. I recently decided to check out Beijing; primarily to go to the Great Wall. Aside from the wall (which was amazing), here is a summary of my Beijing memories: 

- Flying from HK to Beijing a guy sitting directly behind me spent the entire flight loudly hacking up phlegm and spitting it into something. Luckily I had headphones to block out the noise some of the time. I already knew this hacking/spitting was common for Chinese, but didn't realise how socially acceptable it was. 

- Upon arrival i went to the official public taxi desk outside the arrivals hall. A man was standing next to the desk asking me (aggressively) to follow him. I ignored him and spoke with the taxi desk staff.  The man then started talking angrily to the desk staff, occasionally turning to me saying "official, official", then beckoned me to follow him again. I naively assumed he must be official, otherwise the surely the airport staff would have intervened. To cut a long story short when he dropped me at my hotel he showed me a dodgy looking hand held "meter" indicating a CNY600 fare. I later found out from my hotel concierge that the fare to the airport is 150CNY, and that most likely that guy bribes the public taxi staff to let him take customers. 

- Walking around I would see pairs of policemen in green uniforms on every corner, surveying the surroundings in a robotic style.  I say police - they looked more like SS officers. 

- Aggressive shouting, pushing and general rudeness seemed to be the norm. I remember in a crowded hawker street one of the food vendors took offence with a tourist who'd decided not to make a purchase, and shouted at the tourist continually (whilst waving a knife) until the tourist was out of sight. 

- I fancied going out for a drink one evening, and asked the concierge where I could find some bars. He said sorry, there are no bars. After some furious Google searching I located an 'Irish pub' several blocks away from the main centre. It was basically an empty shabby restaurant with a few stools at the bar. A pint of Guinness would have cost me 14 quid, so i opted for an IPA at a bargain 7 quid. It tasted like battery acid. 

- One evening I grabbed a cheeseburger in McDonalds. I sat near a family eating my lukewarm burger. Their kid, I'd say 6rs old walked over to me chatting away in Mandarin. I smiled, gave him my best "Ni Hao" and said "English". The kid shouted, face contorted, and then spat all over me. His parents just beckoned him back to their table. No apology. 

On departure from Beijing airport at security I did the usual stuff; removed belt, put phone, cash, lighter etc. into my hand luggage. After my bag went through the scanner I was given the 3rd degree. I had to remove all sorts of stuff from my bag - phone, watch, even sunglasses! Those items all had to be scanned separately. Oh and they confiscated my lighter. 

Needless to say I was mightily relieved once my flight had taken off for BKK. 

My questions would be; Have others had similar experiences in China? Would I have a better experience in other parts of China, e.g. Shanghai?

I'm all for exploring new places and cultures, but I left China with bitter memories, and no desire to go back. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your story sounds about par for the course to me. The same barbaric Chinese are now Thailand's latest tourist arrivals. I wonder if the Chinese and the Thais deserve each other?

The Chinese are also the next world economic super power. God help the planet if they take over. Love him or loath him, Trump is the saviour of the Western world.

I was working for almost a half year in Penglai and on a later occasion in Gaoshan.

All the same, rude, snotty and stupid as ****.

In Penglai I went to a Hospital with a serious root infection. The dentist department had 12 chairs side by side and the dentist had a fag burning as he called me over which he threw on the ground and stepped on it to extinguish it half way.

No anesthesia, hammer and chisel and as he broke the tooth and the pressure of the infection was released I asked him to stop. It was a new world of pain. 5$ was really cheap.

Later I had eaten some good food where I dug out two chicken heads. Off cause the food went right through and instead of an air release, well I not tell further but the bed sheets had to be changed. 2 of my colleagues had the same awkward experience.

In the hospital they gave me a cup and a Q-tip and pointed to the toilets with no doors neither there was toilet paper where I should "give birth" to a sample while some Chings were watching and talking about the size of my cock..

2 days on the drip and the millions of coli bacteria were reduced to a survivable rate that I could leave and cure in the hotel.

overall and everywhere rudeness, loud shouting, snotting and spitting.

5 min walking to the supermarket was enough to turn into a fruit cake by all these honking horns and pollution. 

Lucky, in the 2nd week we took some whore out of the nearby bath house into our hotel and at 2 am the police came and arrested us. Next day payment and they transported us in handcuffs to the Yantai airport where we paid again, so they did let us go back to work. 

If the Chings are humans or lowest sort of animals is not clear anymore but you are free to make up your own mind. 

Guess I’ll be giving China a pass then. Wife and I are in Amalfi, Italy and the only problems are the huge portions at the restaurants and what flavor of gelato to get. 

Next year we’ll be doing a more regional tour and we’re thinking of a week each for Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. But looks like China, while never on the list, won’t be making it.

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

- Upon arrival i went to the official public taxi desk outside the arrivals hall. A man was standing next to the desk asking me (aggressively) to follow him. I ignored him and spoke with the taxi desk staff.  The man then started talking angrily to the desk staff, occasionally turning to me saying "official, official", then beckoned me to follow him again. I naively assumed he must be official, otherwise the surely the airport staff would have intervened. To cut a long story short when he dropped me at my hotel he showed me a dodgy looking hand held "meter" indicating a CNY600 fare. I later found out from my hotel concierge that the fare to the airport is 150CNY, and that most likely that guy bribes the public taxi staff to let him take customers. 

Thank you for this report. I have had a similar experience to yours at the airport.

On a connecting flight from Bkk to Shanghai (in route to Canada), I had a six hour stop over in Shanghai, arrived at about midnight, departure was for early AM and had to awake at 6:00. I had planned to just hang out at the airport.

But like you, I was approached at the Shanghai airport by a very excited man who tried (in hindsight) to look official. He said I could not stay in the airport and said he would take me in a taxi to a hotel, 15 minutes away. So, get into his mini bus taxi, wait half hour while he hustled others, wait and wait. Then stop at other locations for more passengers, more waiting. Arrive hotel just after 2:00 AM. I need time to unwind so maybe asleep by 3:00 or 4:00.

Back to the airport and a confusing situation, not friendly, helpful airport staff like I encounter at Bkk.

So my 6 hours in China will be my once and only. No interest to visit that place.

38 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Guess I’ll be giving China a pass then. Wife and I are in Amalfi, Italy and the only problems are the huge portions at the restaurants and what flavor of gelato to get. 

Next year we’ll be doing a more regional tour and we’re thinking of a week each for Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. But looks like China, while never on the list, won’t be making it.

Amalfi Coast........mmmmmm.

Bit expensive for me though.

Thinking about Maratea.

I go to China multiple times per year for work.  While there are certainly some 'cruder' elements to the PRC, I have never had anything near the kind of experience that has been recounted in this thread.  

I saw a video of a Chinese McDonalds where a toddler squatted between tables, laid some cable, then went running around the eatery while his parents ignored him. A staff member came up with a broom and dustpan then swept it up like it was a daily affair. I saw another video of how they skin dogs in the most barbaric fashion, SOMETIMES killing them before ripping off their fur. That did it for me.

I've been a couple of times about 11 or 12 years ago, it was just fine although expensive.

I went to Shanghai and Beijing

I will probbaly never go there again if I need a visa. My new policy is visa on arrival only.

The days of me going to an Embassy in person or using a consular services company to apply for and collect visas for mere leisure travel are long over for me.

No visa free or visa on arrival = no visit!

17 hours ago, Enoon said:

Amalfi Coast........mmmmmm.

Bit expensive for me though.

Thinking about Maratea.

Actually, at this time of year not too bad compared to high season. We’re staying in a nice little B&B where the hostess serves us fresh scrambled eggs, toast, coffee, juice, and croissants, with a view of the harbor for about $129/night. Granted, way more than Thailand, but for an expensive, European location, and compared to most places in the US, not too bad. 

In high season, during the summer months I’m sure it’s a lot more. Now the weather is pretty cool right now, and if I were to do this trip again, I’d probably come here in May; still outside of high season but a little warmer.

21 hours ago, CodyB said:

I go to China multiple times per year for work.  While there are certainly some 'cruder' elements to the PRC, I have never had anything near the kind of experience that has been recounted in this thread.  

Good to hear.  Out of interest do you stay in Beijing or other parts? 

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've been a couple of times about 11 or 12 years ago, it was just fine although expensive.

I went to Shanghai and Beijing

I will probbaly never go there again if I need a visa. My new policy is visa on arrival only.

The days of me going to an Embassy in person or using a consular services company to apply for and collect visas for mere leisure travel are long over for me.

No visa free or visa on arrival = no visit!

Glad you mentioned this - I forgot about the agonising visa process. Apparently it changed a few months ago, for the worse. The online forms take forever, and you have to go in person to the visa office to submit the documents, and return there another day to collect the precious visa. The process is so precise if you don't get it exactly right on the first visit (e.g. the photo is not up to scratch) you have to start all over again. 

I felt compelled to use an agency, as this was the only way I could guarantee avoiding multiple trips to London. The whole process cost me around £250, with the agent taking £70 of that. This doesn't include travel costs to/from the London visa office. Painful! 

20 hours ago, quandow said:

I saw a video of a Chinese McDonalds where a toddler squatted between tables, laid some cable, then went running around the eatery while his parents ignored him. A staff member came up with a broom and dustpan then swept it up like it was a daily affair. I saw another video of how they skin dogs in the most barbaric fashion, SOMETIMES killing them before ripping off their fur. That did it for me.

https://fightdogmeat.com/2017/01/18/china-live-dog-burned-alive-for-dog-meat/

for all who don't believe and it reflects entirely the brain dead behavior of Chinese people.

What would you do if this would be your beloved doggie? 

On a recent trip to Beijing I was delighted by the kindness shown to me by the locals, including a taxi driver, shop assistants, hotel staff, and the younger Chinese. Possibly because I'm rather ancient.

However, I did have one incident in a backstreet Hutong at a small restaurant where the woman owner started shouting at me in Chinese at the top of her voice. I had only wanted to buy a bottle of beer. Very unsettling.

I also did not like the extensive security presence including riot police lined up menacingly on the street, and the over-the-top and unfriendly security measures at the airport. The internet restrictions are also a pain. Even changing money at a bank turned out to be time-consuming with plenty of paperwork to sign.

Despite the kindness shown to me by some locals, I would most definitely not wish to live in China. A relief to return to Thailand.

I'm here in Huaqiao right now outside of Shanghai.

My kid lives here and actually speaks some Chinese. Us she knows the ropes.

I would never come here absent an experienced expat or local to guide me the first time.

Im leaving tonight and will do a trip report when I get back to the states which will be entitled China Sucks. It's a shame too as it's impressive and would be a wonderful tourist spot.

On 4/7/2019 at 3:50 AM, CodyB said:

I've been to Beijing several times, and once toured Yunnan with a couple of Chinese friends, one of whom I'd met in Chiang Mai. I once fell for the taxi trick at Beijing airport; the driver pretended to break down shortly before reaching the hotel, and hailed me a proper taxi to finish the journey. Forgot what I paid - almost certainly too much. But apart from that no problems. If I got lost in Beijing people were helpful. Other people were friendly and sometimes stopped for a chat (I can manage a little mandarin). I enjoyed these visits.  

Been to Beijing many times, (also Shanghai, Shenzen and Quangzao - spelling). My visits to all of these cities (twice on Chinese carriers) quite pleasant in every step, fast polit passport, easy bag pick up, never challenged at customs, followed the easy to read signs to taxi rank, pleasant taxi controller spoke English, in taxi, no driving issues, arrive hotel, check-in professional and fast.

Visit to the great wall just amazing, all well planned, pleasant van trip (not crowded), pleasant tour guide spoke good English. Back at hotel in Beijing city area right on time.

On leaving China, check-in always easy, security sure the normal stuff about belts, laptop, phone, watch, all pleasant and all completed quickly.

Overall 4.5/5.

Never had a desire to go there and for 6 years living here, can't bring myself to even try one of the burgeoning, cheap mainland Chinese airlines on the way to the US.   Trend with reviews seems that if everything goes ok, it's fine.  If there's some internal or external anomaly, the whole thing can go flying off the rails, and get very animated.

So meh, never been, probably never will, and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

12 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

So meh, never been, probably never will, and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

There are better places to go.

Like Detroit in the winter.

I'm on line at the Shanghai airport in condition one ready to knock down a pusher and shover. 

Just remembered another example. My hotel was walking distance to Tian Anmen Square, so I I took a walk up to there one day. As you approach the area you have to go through an airport style security check and show your passport before being allowed to continue on to the square. Showing your passport to enter places and buy tickets for attractions etc. seems commonplace there. 

I guess ultimately the Chinese authorities / people don't need to rely on tourism given that they have a manufacturing based economy, and so they have no incentive to make life easy for tourists. Or to rein in the filthy habits like spitting. 

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

There are better places to go.

Like Detroit in the winter.

I'm on line at the Shanghai airport in condition one ready to knock down a pusher and shover. 

New York is a long way.  Have a good flight, bro!  ????

I had a great 5 day stay in Shanghai last April. No problems at all.

Your taxi story rang a bell though. Arriving late at night, I was approached by some guy saying "Official! Official!", but I just ignored him and continued on to the taxi desk.

You don't need a visa if you are transiting to a third country and staying no more than 144 hours: eg fly BKK-Shanghai-Hong Kong

13 hours ago, See Will said:

https://fightdogmeat.com/2017/01/18/china-live-dog-burned-alive-for-dog-meat/

for all who don't believe and it reflects entirely the brain dead behavior of Chinese people.

What would you do if this would be your beloved doggie? 

I would give the guy the same treatment that he gives to the dog !

I lived in Wuhan for 2 years around 15 years ago. Back then there were only about 2000 foreigners in a city of over 10 million, so we were more a curiosity than anything. This was the real deal with no provision for tourists whatsoever. Never seen an English menu the whole time.

However I could easily type up to the TV maximum characters with similar stories to the OP with regards to Beijing and Shanghai and a few other places my Chinese wife and I holidayed to.  

However I look back at these 2 years as some of the the most fun-filled times, where I met many great people I am still in touch with.

After years of telling my wife 'no one spits in the street in my country' (UK) we eventually moved there and the first week we were out she gleefully pointed out an old guy hacking up and spitting! 

Archived