If Big Joke is history could new immigration chief be a near retiree?

webfact

If Big Joke is history could new immigration chief be a near retiree?

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPGS1L1vRZDojs1dSqLDzWLQuWsqO8.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that should it be announced that Lt-Gen Surachate Big Joke Hakparn is permanently relieved of his job as chief of immigration he could be replaced with a man who will retire in October.

The influential Thai media speculated that Pol Lt-Gen Sanchai Sunthornbura would be the favored choice of Royal Thai police chief Chakthip Chaijinda.

Though others would be in the frame for the top job at immigration Sanchai would have credentials. Thai Rath reported that before taking up a job in police training Sanchai had served at the  immigration bureau in many posts.

He is set to retire from the force in October.

Meanwhile, Thai Rath said that Surachate had reported to the 20th floor of Building 1 briefly on Friday before going into hiding.

No one knew of his whereabouts since then, they said.

His 7th floor immigration office in Suan Phlu, Sathorn,  was quiet on Sunday, a holiday, with no one prepared to comment. His office had not been cleared.

It was similarly quiet at his office at RTP HQ where Surachate is in charge of the tech police's operations command center.

Thai Rath speculated that an announcement about the future of Surachate could be made on Tuesday at 1.30pm when an appointments committee is expected to report.

Surachate himself may be headed for a role in the Office of the Prime Minister, they reported sources as suggesting.

Surachate Big Joke Hakparn was transferred to the operations center of the RTP on the 20th floor on Friday on the direct orders of the RTP chief Chakthip. No reason has been given.

It was largely seen as a transfer to an inactive post as rumors flew about the reason for the shock move.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-09

The annual police re-shuffle occurs in October, with the new models unveiled in September.

It seems like the only option is to fast-track one candidate to serve for 18 or 30 months, or simply throw an old-timer in for six months as a place-holder, and then choose the best of the three candidates on the normal track?  This is a win-win as the old-timer probably gets a bump in his pension, and the normal paths are uninterrupted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Rath reported that should it be announced that Lt-Gen Surachate Big Joke Hakparn is permanently relieved of his job as chief of immigration he could be replaced with a man who will retire in October.

The influential Thai media speculated that Pol Lt-Gen Sanchai Sunthornbura would be the favored choice of Royal Thai police chief Chakthip Chaijinda.

A nice little boost for the pension based on the level you are when you retire.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

He told it to himself, then he heard it... and then posted it... isn't that always the case?

Yep, woke up one morning wandered over to the mirror and told yourself something, do it a few times and it becomes real. Gossip culture is wonderful. By the way my mirror is a lying b*****rd, I keep telling myself I am rich but my bank account remains the same - seems it only works on trivial matters.

4 hours ago, justin case said:

why don't they take a pensioned TV member to be head of immigration

they had a hard time finding a can read & write Thai speaker

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachate himself may be headed for a role in the Office of the Prime Minister, they reported sources as suggesting.

I would not be surprised if that is the case, despite what some people in here think. 

The influential Thai media speculated

No one knew

Thai Rath speculated

they reported sources as suggesting.

No reason has been given.

It was largely seen

Cutting edge investigative journalism there. ????????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I hear it's got to do with the push he has had on farangs since he took office, a lot of Xpats been relocating, and are on the move, not the best for the Thai economy, but then again, it's all hearsay.

I don't think this has anything whatsoever to do with it.

• Like 2

In the end it appears the stage is set for a radical move, perhaps regarding both BJ and his former position. To move BJ out of the center of attention for a while could serve several purposes. Of course this all transpires as a result of those pulling the levers of power deciding what is best for them, screw the rest of the country.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Might lend a little credibility to an office that desperately needs it right now.

On 4/9/2019 at 8:43 AM, NCC1701A said:

yes when I leave Thailand the entire economy will collapse. :clap2:

but don't worry I will give everybody a heads up. :cheesy:

Well, when you leave, No Problem.

If hundreds or thousands are leaving, it becomes a serious matter, each retired expat, on average, brings in 50,000, per month.

And don't forget the Investment brought to the country by expats

Not only that, each expat manages to bring 1.3 official jobs to the workforce and 0.6 unofficial jobs.

Quite hefty, I'd say.

Seen the ouvertures of Vietnam and the Phillipines in trying to lure away expats, it might be possible the authorities start thinking again.

And yes, the constant razzia's do have a rather negative effect on the potential expats in the west.

Looking around in the western guys around me, yes, the number of guys thinking about leaving Thailand is growing, and two already left.