Video: Why motorcyclists should not stop right in front of large trucks

webfact

Video: Why motorcyclists should not stop right in front of large trucks

5pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage from Nakorn Nayok showed a truck trailer drive over a motorcyclist at a red light and propel him under the wheels for several meters. 

Daily News reported that the trucker was unable to see the biker who had stopped out of his sight.

The footage appeared on the page of the Ban Na police in the city north of Bangkok. 

Chief of the Ban Na constabulary Pol Col Kasin Thamrongsrisuk said the incident happened on Sunday at the intersection leading to Wiharn Daeng district of Saraburi. 

The motorcyclist was only slightly hurt. 

The truck driver agreed to pay for all bills. It was accepted that the biker could not be seen. 

Pol Col Kasin warned bikers not to stop at the lights in front of trucks and to give them space. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-09

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Truck driver must be BLIND, then again they often have almost all the windscreen blacked  out and a slit to see thru +  all the dangling crap and flowers  etc.

exactly

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Truck driver must be BLIND, then again they often have almost all the windscreen blacked  out and a slit to see thru +  all the dangling crap and flowers  etc.

....and on top of that apparently to busy with his phone

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But unless motorcycle man was turning right with his indicator going,  he should have been in the left lane with the other bikers.

Looking at pic #1, it's quite clear that he's going right. Waiting for traffic to clear, both feet on the ground no hands on the handlebar, then the truck with no brakes arrives...

• Confused 2

As a bike rider I am aware not to do this. But I, for one, intend to take this as a further reminder of what not to do especially at lights. It doesn't hurt to be reminded of what can happen. 

I wouldn't blame the truck driver in this at all. And that is how it panned out. 

Rooster

• Like 1

If you fancy to stand in front with the bike, then kick in the gear BEFORE the lights turn green and storm off.

(looks like it is a fully manual gear bike and he fiddles with the gear, just compare with the small bikes)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Looking at pic #1, it's quite clear that he's going right. Waiting for traffic to clear, both feet on the ground no hands on the handlebar, then the truck with no brakes arrives...

Sorry but not clear he's going right, if so he should have been further over. The truck with no brakes was at a standstill. A motorbike overtook the truck and the victim on the left before truck started.

I suspect both the truck drive AND the victim were playing on their phones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Sorry but not clear he's going right, if so he should have been further over. The truck with no brakes was at a standstill. A motorbike overtook the truck and the victim on the left before truck started.

I suspect both the truck drive AND the victim were playing on their phones.

Think you're probably right. I don't have access to the video, only the pics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

It was accepted that the biker could not be seen

Maybe if the truck driver had opened his eyes he could have seen him,

it does not look like the truck has the windscreen covered in crap,like

some trucks have,curtains,stickers..they lie about the brakes ,they lie not

been able to see a man on a motorbike,and the Police believe them.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The truck driver pulling away ,must have thought the handbrake was still on,

until he realized it was a man on motorbike under his front wheels,the guy 

on the motorbike is very fortunate not to have been killed.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

If the truck driver had any real training for a big rig he surely would have put himself in a position to make sure the motorbike or a pedestrian is seen.   

First the truck driver fail to provide a distant when he came to a stop. If he did he would have been in a position to noticed the biker.

Second, failing in providing adequate space he proceed to move before making sure of clearance of object or person before moving forward.  Clearly the only training he ever got was from motorbike, car and now the big rig bringing with him all the bad habits that are killing drivers in Thailand, now instead of a slingshot he is driving a battle ship of a weapon.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But unless motorcycle man was turning right with his indicator going,  he should have been in the left lane with the other bikers. And why was he so slow off the mark compared with the other moto. Maybe HE was on his phone!

Whatever, you're surely not suggesting that the truck is anything other than 100% at fault? 

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Whatever, you're surely not suggesting that the truck is anything other than 100% at fault? 

Yes I am, the motorcyclist was another 50% at fault for taking off so slowly, and for being in the wrong lane. 150% total faults !

I imagine the truck was already stopped at the lights, the motorcyclist came alongside him them pulled in front of him as they tend to do, and then didn't pull away quickly enough.  I'm certain there is a blind spot in trucks unless the driver is pressed against the windscreen. 

• Like 1