Maniac selfie taker

Phatbeets

Was reading my book on the beach and noticed two girls taking pics of each other with their individual cell phones.

They were busy for approx. 2h doing the same pose over and over.

Let’s say they took 5 selfies per minute that would mean they took around 600 pics in that period.

They were not even scared of protecting their sacred white skin from the sun for that matter.

Then they probably spent the rest of the day uploading pics to social medias getting “Likes”.

They seemed to be absolutely amazed about this thrilling hobby.

I’m 36 yo but I’m old enough to remember how life was without cell phones.

For me this narcissistic addiction that is so common nowadays for girls is a weird but severe self-inflicted mental disorder.

It seems to be more abundant among Asian girls. Why?

I think the word is Manic. But that being said. Remember when you had film in cameras. It is definitely a habit in Asia to take a photo with yourself in it infront of stuff. They all do it. Japanese tourists used to be the ones we noticed first in the west. Asking someone to take a photo for them with them in it.  Then these digital things turned up and now its exponential all woman do here is take pictures of themselves. I travel with Myanmar and Thai tour groups. The guides tell them where to take a photo etc and not much more. Its a strange habit to me but its a manic obsession and its sad to watch how much of life is wasted on it.

1 hour ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

And sadly enough there are probably around 50 million other morons on this planet doing the same thing.. It's really pathetic, often laughable and, as you mentioned, an addiction that for many has become a uncurable disease. Where do we go from here, world...? ???? 

Did you pay for their equipment? Did they cause you any trouble? Did they refuse to teach you how to spell "incurable"? What is your problem?

Yes well they gave everyone with a phone a camera...

Did we get millions of interesting photos ?

No, all the they did was take photos of themselves feeding their egos........god help us if they ever give them all violins...

52 minutes ago, namatjira said:

Yes well they gave everyone with a phone a camera...

Did we get millions of interesting photos ?

No, all the they did was take photos of themselves feeding their egos........god help us if they ever give them all violins...

Or banjos ????

Now I understand how much time and effort go into those crazy-ass profile pictures on ThaiFriendly!!!????????????‍♂️

As the great George Carlin said: maybe it’s not the politicians who suck, but the people... THE PUBLIC SUCKS - as we’re all way too busy making perfect selfies, buying things we don’t need with money we don’t have and stuffing our faces with unnecessary calories at the mall. If you have selfish ignorant citizens, you’re going to get selfish ignorant politicians. Garbage in > garbage out, and maybe Thailand like many other countries doesn’t deserve any better.

I don't see a problem here, it's their freedom, and actual causing little harm to anyone.  I share your amusement. 

But imagine the boys doing stupid daredevil tricks, they got to get their kicks somewhere.  And the boys taking video of there Daredevil exploits, all's great till someone breaks a neck...  Granted it's not as safe as playing Video Games...  Actual I would rather the boys be involve with Scouts, Organized Sports, or other more beneficial Clubs, but the 50's are long gone...  I can remember the 60's generation who could be encapsulate as "Turn on, Tune In, Drop Out," and I am not sure it ever stopped...  

Yes, you are right it's very superficial, but is it strange that females often take pictures of themselves especially when they are at what arguably could be there best times in their lives.  I bet many middle age and older women would like to have pictures of themselves at that very same age.  

4 hours ago, GaryAdriaenssens said:

And sadly enough there are probably around 50 million other morons on this planet doing the same thing.. It's really pathetic, often laughable and, as you mentioned, an addiction that for many has become a uncurable disease. Where do we go from here, world...? ???? 

adda couple of billion to the 50 mil mate ????

15 hours ago, Phatbeets said:

I’m 36 yo but I’m old enough to remember how life was without cell phones.

Welcome to the Grumpy Old Man club. You're getting an early start. Over the coming years you can look forward to more and more things not being like they used to be.

57 minutes ago, jinjo said:

I don't see a problem here, it's their freedom, and actual causing little harm to anyone.  I share your amusement. 

But imagine the boys doing stupid daredevil tricks, they got to get their kicks somewhere.  And the boys taking video of there Daredevil exploits, all's great till someone breaks a neck...  Granted it's not as safe as playing Video Games...  Actual I would rather the boys be involve with Scouts, Organized Sports, or other more beneficial Clubs, but the 50's are long gone...  I can remember the 60's generation who could be encapsulate as "Turn on, Tune In, Drop Out," and I am not sure it ever stopped...  

Yes, you are right it's very superficial, but is it strange that females often take pictures of themselves especially when they are at what arguably could be there best times in their lives.  I bet many middle age and older women would like to have pictures of themselves at that very same age.  

Selfies can be risky too! ????

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/04/more-than-250-people-have-died-taking-selfies-in-recent-years.html

4 hours ago, jinjo said:

I'm glad I never did anything daft when I was young

3 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Welcome to the Grumpy Old Man club. You're getting an early start. Over the coming years you can look forward to more and more things not being like they used to be.

The Dull Men's Club web site is fascinating, if bright colours are not your thing

3 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

????a.k.a. OF Syndrome

It seems to be more abundant among Asian girls. Why?

Also the liking for fluffy animal toys.

Why? I don't know. If I really wanted to know, I'd google for an academic study or something.

Of course it has something to do with seeing how others like how you look and what you do and so on - especially peers, other young girls.  So, nothing new, just that phone cameras have made it easy to do it with photos, so then it became a thing.

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

You spent 2 hours watching them?

Sure they were nice but they had the MJ skin color syndrome and I'm not a big fan of it. My wife (10 years of marriage) never gave a flying <deleted> and looks much better. wanna see a non selfie pic ????

Anyway - back to the topic - I feel sad for those girls cause even though they are not harming anyone they are more most probably harming themselves. There is no way in hell that that this occupation can be healthy for yourself.

And I also feel a bit sad for Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Kevin Systrom (Instagram), Jack Dorsey (twitter) because what in Buddhas name are they gonna do with that? Please tell me..

Archived