A Few Questions On Transfer Of Land

My wife and I have built a new home in Pimai/Isaan.

The land on which it sits (about 1 rai) is in her fathers name.

The construction of the home is done, and when we return to Thailand later this year, my father in law intends to transfer the land to my wife.

Should we expect to pay tax on the transfer? And if so is the value of the home also considered?

Another question....As my wife is not registered on the tambien bahn (or anyone for that matter) we cannot have our electric service connected.

We currently get power from her sister who is right next door, but they won't give us our own meter unless my wife registers.

We are in the U.S. and wont be in Thailand for many months.

Is it possible to register without being physically present? My wife insists this is the case, but I find ths hard to believe.

Can the village head vouch for her?

Is there some way around this?

Lot's of questions......I hope some of the good folks here can give some insight.

Thanks,

Eric and Pan

post-36548-1173041423_thumb.jpg

My wife and I have built a new home in Pimai/Isaan.

The land on which it sits (about 1 rai) is in her fathers name.

The construction of the home is done, and when we return to Thailand later this year, my father in law intends to transfer the land to my wife.

Should we expect to pay tax on the transfer? And if so is the value of the home also considered?

Another question....As my wife is not registered on the tambien bahn (or anyone for that matter) we cannot have our electric service connected.

We currently get power from her sister who is right next door, but they won't give us our own meter unless my wife registers.

We are in the U.S. and wont be in Thailand for many months.

Is it possible to register without being physically present? My wife insists this is the case, but I find ths hard to believe.

Can the village head vouch for her?

Is there some way around this?

Lot's of questions......I hope some of the good folks here can give some insight.

Thanks,

Eric and Pan

post-36548-1173041423_thumb.jpg

Transfer of land deed title from parent to child did not invlolve tax but it needs for the 2 of them to be present at the land office.

it takes a few days and in our case it required 2-3 months delay because we upgraded the deed to a 'red' chanot at the same time.

You ralize that technically your father in law could now sell the land with house (that is before the name change is done....)

Could you not have electricity connected with your father in law's name until he does the change of name ?

Good luck and congrats on a great looking home(I would like to have details of te contracts/contractor and drawings if possible PM me)

Thanks

Thanks,

Not worried about the old man selling the house....heck, I'd give him the money if he asked.

The old man would have to be on the tambien bahn to connect the electric.

He is already registered at his own home.

I was wondering if it's possible to do this stuff by mail, with the family and village head vouching for my wifes identity.