Denied (9th) retirement extension

On 5/5/2019 at 12:38 PM, ThaiBunny said:

What requirement is that? It's only for an extension, not a grant of visa surely?

Failed to notify that at renewal monied would need to be deposited in Thai banking system 

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Failed to notify that at renewal monied would need to be deposited in Thai banking system 

Oh Boy, you are confused.

The Non O-A Visa can only be issued by a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a Country you have citizenship or permanent residency. You cannot renew a Visa in Thailand.

The Thai Embassies/Consulate website contain conditions for Visa applications.

Within the last 30 days of a 1 year entry of an O-A Visa, you can apply at local Immigration offices to extend your permission to stay. Your Visa will expire.

The conditions for extension applications are published on Thai Immigration websites, (not Embassy websites) and include the financial requirements of funds or income deposits in a Thai bank.

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

If the agent pays an officer a bribe to overlook the money requirements and the officer does so merely because he is being bribed, then that IS illegal. Bribery is corruption, it's an illegal business. I will leave rather than pay bent officers and parasitical agents, it's not that great here after all.

I don't blame you - it's infuriating and makes one feel dirty to participate in such.  I hate this as well, and have been able to avoid paying bribes so far by using Visas to avoid immigration, since running into corrupt IOs who would not issue a legit extension. 

But, the reason every office can make up their own rules, and IOs are allowed to waive requirements, is because the system is designed from the top-down for the primary purpose of collecting corruption-loot.  At some entry-points, they are brazenly breaking the law outright - at their Capital-city airports no less - by denying-entry for false-reasons, to stop people using means of stay that do not line their pockets.  Their "official duties" are a secondary consideration, at best.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, SEtonal said:

O-A =/= O

O-A is not O.

Immigration can only issue an O.  Immigration cannot issue an OA.  An OA must be obtained at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country of citizenship or permanent residency.

Small correction - we live in Thailand, husband is on a Non-O (retirement). For some crazy reason our visas/extensions got out of sync; his extension is due in January, mine is due late May.  I get a Non-O (Spouse) visa from London every year.  I use my British passport for this, but on the form I fill in I put my address in Chiang Mai.  No problems at all.