Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

5 minutes ago, Thechook said:

The Saints should have put away port in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and ran out with an easy 6 goal at least win.  Their kicking for goal was appalling with 8 shots unpressured  going astray that any under 10 forward would have got.  7 kicks to opponents to give them uncontested marks didn't help either.  The saints lost that game more so than Port won it.  Having said that, the way the saints played port deserved the win.

I think Jake Carlisle was best on ground putting on a superb display marking and repelling everything that came his way only to bet down by those around him like Nathan Brown to mention one.

Nice work Chooks.

Nathan Brown has always been a dud I reckon.

How you guys let Robbie Gray run into space with no one goalside was criminal.

Probably the most dangerous player on the ground and with your boys flooding back,

there should've been someone right up his clacker and another in front of him.

Having said that, Port still don't impress me.

Still haven't beaten a top 8 side I think.

2 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Not indecisive at all, never considered the Fremantle I know who I picked. Always double check after submitting then write my choices on a note pad for reference during games being played then double check that.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

The Saints should have put away port in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and ran out with an easy 6 goal at least win.  Their kicking for goal was appalling with 8 shots unpressured  going astray that any under 10 forward would have got.  7 kicks to opponents to give them uncontested marks didn't help either.  The saints lost that game more so than Port won it.  Having said that, the way the saints played port deserved the win.

I think Jake Carlisle was best on ground putting on a superb display marking and repelling everything that came his way only to bet down by those around him like Nathan Brown to mention one.

I normally do my teams Thursday night or early fri morning to date I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of...

• Like 1

Fantasy FINALs update Half time report...

Grant 1340 vs Gaz 939....Well Grant wont have it all his own way...Gaz to come back though the mercurial Mr G should be able to hold off a spirited fight back...

Fj 1656 vs Rip 1005.....Again coach Fj wont have it all his way...Rips got a few up his sleeve....quicker ball movement is on the cards in the second half...Fj should be able to hold off a storming Rip.....

Im not happy....some of my premium players are under performing.....they better get up the next two weeks or I'm cooked bacon...

And Jo...if I win the flag you will be eating doggie Doo for the next 12 months...here we gooooo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Not indecisive at all, never considered the Fremantle I know who I picked. Always double check after submitting then write my choices on a note pad for reference during games being played then double check that.

You picked Fremantle in the Long Range comp.

6 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Fantasy FINALs update Half time report...

Grant 1340 vs Gaz 939....Well Grant wont have it all his own way...Gaz to come back though the mercurial Mr G should be able to hold off a spirited fight back...

Fj 1656 vs Rip 1005.....Again coach Fj wont have it all his way...Rips got a few up his sleeve....quicker ball movement is on the cards in the second half...Fj should be able to hold off a storming Rip.....

Im not happy....some of my premium players are under performing.....they better get up the next two weeks or I'm cooked bacon...

And Jo...if I win the flag you will be eating doggie Doo for the next 12 months...here we gooooo

It gets a lot harder this time of year as the better players are getting held accountable by other good players.

The days of 2200 points a round a gorn.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, joboss said:

3/9 my tips for this round.

Apparently I tipped the Lions over the Eagles,,

Now,  why would a Weagle do that??

I don't think those Indian high school web coders like me..

It looks like you did not submit your tips. You given all the away teams and received a 0 margin.

• Like 1

This week the winner is Farmerjo  tipping 9/9. Excellent tipping. This is only the 3rd 9/9 this year. In round 2 there were 2 with 9/9. Runners up this week were GrannysAples and Sceadygengai with 8/9.

Overall leader is still Ozzydom on 106 and 5 clear of Alex and Biggwazz.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

It looks like you did not submit your tips. You given all the away teams and received a 0 margin.

mmmmm,,  thats what it looks like.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I know that I did tip, even changed my margin for a hawkes win by 8 points on Friday afternoon.

Oh well,,, just another small bump on life's road

Down on the farm in Kangaroo land it's been a good weekend.:smile:

Finally climbed off the bottom of the ladder in the tipping.

Kangaroo's defeated the Demon's to keep their streak going.

And after a good contest managed to get past Rip in the Fantasy elimination final.(well done to GS as well)

Here i was thinking i would play the Bangkok Bombers next week in the semi.

But it's Alex,yes Alex,going to be a long week waiting for this.:smile:

A great article methinks on the Paddy Dangerfield tackle on Kreuzer.

I like the clip he gives to the Scott brothers as well:tongue:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-31/matthew-kreuzer-concussion-more-important-patrick-dangerfield/8758658?section=sport

Matthew Kreuzer's possible concussion more concerning than Patrick Dangerfield's Brownlow hopes

For those expressing their deep concern about Carlton ruckman Mathew Kreuzer, there is good news — apparently he is OK.
Well, so far as we know.

One can only hope the concussion Kreuzer suffered on Saturday when he was tipped head-first into the MCG turf with his arms pinned to his side will not be one of a series of cumulative head knocks that causes serious brain damage and renders his post-football career a hazy, debilitated twilight.

Yes, apologies, this does sound melodramatic. It is, short of early death, the very worst-case scenario.

But a week after a US study revealed 110 of 111 NFL players who suspected they suffered brain damage from repeated head knocks were posthumously proven correct, can we afford to tip-toe around this subject?

So let's hope the Kreuzer story has a happy ending, because his health is the main subject of the weekend's biggest AFL story, right?

No, of course it isn't. Kreuzer's health would only be the story in a game where hollow sentiments about the "sanctity of the head" were not replaced by self-interest in the time it takes to say "but I backed Patrick Dangerfield to win the Brownlow!".

And there we have it. Instead of Kreuzer's wellbeing, the media focus was almost instantly the Geelong opponent responsible for his plight — complete with moans of sympathy for Dangerfield from media cheerleaders, misleading "precedents" intended to ensure his acquittal and self-serving testimony from Dangerfield's coach and even Dangerfield himself.

There was no #PutOutYourCats campaign at the time of writing, but I had not read the Geelong Advertiser.

Thus, inevitably, what should be the most straightforward of match review panel decisions was instead subsumed by irrelevant side issues such as Dangerfield's Brownlow eligibility and his good character.

Even good blokes sometimes must cop a ban

None of this is to cast Dangerfield as an assassin, or even a willing culprit. He seems an intelligent, engaged and good-humoured man and is, indisputably, among the best and fairest players of this generation.

As Dangerfield's defenders were quick to say, accidents happen, it's just that they are far more likely to happen when you have a player pinned by the arms and help propel him forward, head-first, into the ground.

This should be apparent to those in the jockocracy who leapt to Dangerfield's defence. Surely, more than anyone, ex-players now appreciate the potential long-term consequences of the damage suffered by Kreuzer.

That should be apparent even to Geelong coach Chris Scott, who virtually demanded Dangerfield be cleared.

Although anyone who has regularly observed Scott and his twin, Brad, in the coach's box knows that what makes them identical is not their appearance. It is that neither has ever seen a justifiable free kick paid against their teams.

Most reprehensible were those who thought first of the impact of Dangerfield's potential suspension on the Brownlow Medal — and, even more ghastly, Brownlow Medal betting — than the precedent a "not guilty" finding would create.

On Monday afternoon, the AFL match review panel will spin its wheel. The only sensible outcome is a brief suspension for Dangerfield that will entrench the game's commitment to protecting the head.

If this story was about Kreuzer, the unfortunate victim of a clumsy tackle, this would not be in doubt.

But the macho ex-jocks, the vested interests and the ill-informed have somehow cast Dangerfield as the potential victim and forsaken the ruckman with the sore head.

Hopefully, the waters have not been muddied sufficiently for the MRP to clear Dangerfield, a decision that would fly in the face of both common sense and, potentially, the wellbeing of the game's greatest assets.

1 hour ago, farmerjo said:

Down on the farm in Kangaroo land it's been a good weekend.:smile:

Finally climbed off the bottom of the ladder in the tipping.

Kangaroo's defeated the Demon's to keep their streak going.

And after a good contest managed to get past Rip in the Fantasy elimination final.(well done to GS as well)

Here i was thinking i would play the Bangkok Bombers next week in the semi.

But it's Alex,yes Alex,going to be a long week waiting for this.:smile:

Nice work on the pick of the card there FJ! 

Sorry to hear you'll be facing Alex this weekend, thought it was my turn to cop a bit of banter from the salty old sea dog. Give him hell this week champ :)

• Like 1

The Tackle

WHAT I LIKE

1. JUNK TIME OR REAL TIME?

The intrigue continues at Collingwood after an extraordinary match. They were bold and brilliant enough to get to a 50-point lead, let it go to lead by just three points, found the resolve to surge again and then allowed Mitch McGovern to mark and goal and draw the game. That’s two wins and a draw from their past three matches and if Eddie McGuire is looking for reasons to appoint Nathan Buckley for 2018, he can look at the fact this team will fight to the death. Will it be enough? Who knows, but the Pies aren’t lying down and it’s looking better than what it was six weeks ago.

2. JASON JOHANNISEN

Might not be a $800,000 defender, but could be a $600,000 forward after his four goals and 18 disposals against the Bombers, who didn’t put any physicality into the Bulldogs linkman. Johannisen’s running is one indication the Bulldogs are regaining their best footy, the others are winning the ground balls and creating slick ball movement, manic pressure and winning the contested ball. Makes a difference when Marcus Bontempelli decides — or is allowed — to impose himself on the game, which he did at the death yesterday.

3. TOMMY HAWKINS

Starting to like Hawkins playing further up the ground, although he did play high and deep against the Blues on Saturday night. Hawkins is more agile than most critics believe and an old-fashioned centre half-forward role is not beyond him. By far the dominant player against the Blues, Hawkins had a career-high 27 disposals, 19 uncontested possessions and 192 ranking points and a season-high 13 score involvements, 12 marks and six goals.

4. BYE TANKING

The argument a team is tanking — and where did it start anyway? — is lost somewhat when the so-called tanking team beats a finals team the next week. North Melbourne coach Brad Scot held his tongue, saying actions would speak louder than words. They did. That’s twice they’ve beaten Melbourne this year and even though they beat Adelaide this year in Hobart, you’d argue this was their best win this season. Clearly, there’s no cue in the rack at North Melbourne. The next bit of encouraging news will be a contact extension for the coach.

5. WHAT ABOUT THE CAPTAIN?

Jack Ziebell was clipped two weeks ago when he had just 16 disposals against Port Adelaide and then we find out he was carrying injuries and was rested for the next round. He returned on Saturday and was inspiring for North Melbourne. What separates good players from great players is standing up when required. Ziebell’s final quarter was the foundation for the victory. He had game-highs in ranking points (57), disposals (11) clearances (11) and metres gained (261m).

6. PADDY RYDER

If the third-man-up was allowed we wouldn’t have had the glorious finish to the Port v Saints game because the Saints would’ve gang-crashed the throw-in. So, there’s a tick for the new rule. What it gave us was ruck work of the highest quality, which is exactly what the game can’t lose. Ryder was too quick to win the front position in front of Billy Longer and tapped it with a perfect lob, placement and speed. Ryder is the No.1 rated ruckman by Champion Data this year and on Saturday claimed favouritism for the All-Australian ruck position.

7. TALKING OF RUCKMEN

The Hawks resurgence has centred on the emerging youngsters, although we can’t ignore the old boys. Ben McEvoy had an equal career-high five contested marks and a season-high eight marks against Sydney and clearly his trimmed frame makes it easier for him to get around the ground. He is rated the second-best ruckman this season behind Ryder, which was not in consideration at the start of the season.

8. YEP, STEPHEN CONIGLIO

It was tight and the Dockers were superb, but the big guns from the Giants made this happen. It was said Coniglio, in his first game since Round 8, would give the Giants substance in the middle and he didn’t let anyone down. He had 27 disposals, six tackles, nine clearances and eight score involvements. Will get better defensively as he gets more match fit.

9. ALEX SEXTON

What a brave boy he is — so much so, former Suns teammate Campbell Brown rated his effort top of the charts.

Sexton ran back with the flight of the ball and was crunched in the contest, much like Geelong’s Tom Lonergan’s several years ago — without the serious injury.

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. FUMBLY BOMBERS

Didn’t handle the pressure from the Dogs and as a result fumbled too much, while skill errors in the final 10 minutes killed any chance of victory. The Bombers were slick with the footy, but outside Joe Daniher (six goals), didn’t have the class to take their opportunities. Kicked 1.4 and two out of bounds in the final quarter and Cale Hooker will be remembered for a second consecutive week. No rubbing of the hair this week from Hooker, just two bad misses, one from 20m in the final quarter and one from point-blank range in the third quarter when he played on when on the goal-line. Finals-like pressure exposed the Bombers, badly.

2. BROWNLOW BLUES

Patrick Dangerfield should not be suspended. His tackle on Matty Kreuzer was not malicious, was not dangerous, but unfortunately resulted in concussion for the Blues big man. It’s got to be about the action and not the consequence. We must remember that accidents happen in the game. This is not about protecting Dangerfield or the medal night, this is about what constitutes a dangerous tackle and what is fair and reasonable. People say it was an illegal tackle, but no free kick was paid. Dangerfield believed Kreuzer had the ball and, he said, he tried to roll him. If people believe Dangerfield applied a dirty, dangerous tackle and deserves to lose the medal then we have lost perspective about what the rule is policing and not policing.

3. STOPPAGE BLUES

The Ryder tap, Gray shark and Gray goal will have been reviewed 10,000 times before the Saints officially get to it today. They already know what happened and there were plenty of players who would like to have their time again. In no particular order:

JARED Polec was able to go one-two from halfback and through the wing which helped deliver Young’s goal in the final minute.

THE Young goal came from a four v two contest which St Kilda should have won or at least killed.

ROBERTON fumble on a handball receive.

SAINTS had three spares inside 50m — should one of them have come up to the boundary throw-in stoppage and protect out the back?

BILLY Longer had to be more competitive against Ryder in the ruck.

SEB Ross wasn’t close enough to Gray.

AND why didn’t one of the spares come to meet Gray.

There will be plenty more examples which coach Alan Richardson will know, but one player wasn’t solely to blame.

4. JESSE HOGAN

It’s been the worst year of his life and his faith and resilience have been tested like never before. The loss of his father is incomparable, the testicular cancer was frightening, but always football welcomed him back with open arms. His busted shoulder will keep him on the sidelines for up to six weeks. It’s a pity because Hogan was starting to roll into some serious form. Kicked three and had a career-high 23 disposals against Port Adelaide the week before and was a factor against North before the injury.

5. WHAT ABOUT MELBOURNE?

Desperately disappointing because it blew a chance to finish in the top four and now could be under threat to keep a finals spot. Won plenty of the ball in the middle, but didn’t have enough winners forward, having won the inside-50 count 59-48. With Hogan out, the forward set up will revolve around Tom McDonald and Jack Watts and not for the first time, the world will be looking at Jack to stand up in these important games coming.

6. LUCKY CROWS

Mitch McGovern is a star, we know that, and his mark would be better remembered if the goal was the matchwinner and not the goal to draw the match. But what the hell is the Crows giving up a 50-point lead before bringing energy to the game. The good news is they had the resolve in the second half, and almost snatched the game. The bad news is they choked for a half on the MCG.

7. DELIBERATE

Umpires lost players and fans at Adelaide Oval on Saturday because of different interpretations of what would have to be the most controversial rule brought in this century _ lack of intent to keep the ball in play. ‘’We were a bit confused through the whole night,’’ Michel Voss told 3AW yesterday when quizzed about the rulings in the St Kilda game. As it turned out, the Jake Carlisle kick out of bounds late, which wasn’t paid, helped set up the pulsating finish because the it was a boundary throw-in and not a free kick to Port. Still, there was too much controversy with several decisions.

8. PROBLEMS EVERYWHERE

Can’t score. Play safe football. And players appear tired despite the coach saying to the contrary. There were 14 players with 11 or fewer disposals in Saturday night’s game and 13 of them were Carlton players. Of all the questions, the most urgent one hangs over No. 1 pick Jacob Weitering. Had just three disposals and is averaging 12 disposals per game and is in a rotten form slump. This wasn’t supposed to happen after a sparkling first season.

9. HEATH SHAW

Giants coach Leon Cameron doesn’t have an issue with how Heath Shaw went about it at the end of the game, but the same can’t be said of the teammate on the end of the spray, Aidan Corr. Corr had complete disdain for the more experienced Shaw and while it is considered by many to be constructive and robust discussion, Shaw isn’t perfect enough to lash out fellow teammates. These kinds of incidents escape scrutiny when a team wins. When they lose, however, arguably they expose behavioural problems.

Looks like Dangerfield's chances of back to back Brownlow's are up the creek having just been handed a week on the pine for his dangerous tackle on Kreuzer. 

Hodgey also gets a week on the pine having had his 3rd financial sanction as a result of striking Tom Papley on Friday night as well...

39 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Looks like Dangerfield's chances of back to back Brownlow's are up the creek having just been handed a week on the pine for his dangerous tackle on Kreuzer. 

Hodgey also gets a week on the pine having had his 3rd financial sanction as a result of striking Tom Papley on Friday night as well...

That sounds about right for Danger.

Robbo saying the tackle wasn't illegal as no free kick was paid:tongue:

Get ready for the appeal.

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

What a sissies game it is turning into, pretty soon all players will need to be fitted with contact inflatable airbags:post-4641-1156693976:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ozzydom said:

What a sissies game it is turning into, pretty soon all players will need to be fitted with contact inflatable airbags:post-4641-1156693976:

When a guy has his arms pinned and get's driven/thrown or dropped head first into the ground

and gets concussed, there has to be a penalty.

Luckily, it's not like the old days where no care was given to the player and his future welfare.

With the speed of the game, it's never been tougher IMO.

• Like 2

I think that players are a lot stronger now than they were in the 60s and 70s, full time athletes in body contact sports working out daily usually build up a bit of muscle.

They have the capacity to really hurt each other.

5 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Good to see Chooks still has the good oil down at Moorabin...

Riewoldt's hanging up the boots at the end of the year...

Joey Montagna will be announcing his retirement in 2 weeks and that clears up 2.2 mil in salary cap being Nick and Joey.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Robbo's all over Danger like our old friend Khun BM is on Chimpy at the Cockatoo Bar...

Given that Cam McCarthy got the same deal for his tackle, the MRP, reasonably didn't have any other conclusion to draw. The question will be whether or not Geelong appeal. If they do, it's likely Danger gets off but then would the AFL appeal this decision as being "manifestly unjust" or do they let it go?

With one eye closed, I'm happy for Danger to have the week off :P

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Joey Montagna will be announcing his retirement in 2 weeks and that clears up 2.2 mil in salary cap being Nick and Joey.

I was gonna throw in Sam Reid to sweeten the deal, but rumour around the pools at Bondi is that we're signing him to a 4 year term.

In better news, we'll be locking away Zak Jones for the same amount of time ;)

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

When a guy has his arms pinned and get's driven/thrown or dropped head first into the ground

and gets concussed, there has to be a penalty.

Luckily, it's not like the old days where no care was given to the player and his future welfare.

With the speed of the game, it's never been tougher IMO.

Have looked at the replay countless times and my view is that Dangerfield got him in a perfect arm pinning grip. kruizer was in possession of the ball at the time.

Kruizer is near 7 foot and 105kg, and he lost the ball and buckled at the knees dragging Danger down with him, Danger didnt drive him, he himself was dragged.

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I think that players are a lot stronger now than they were in the 60s and 70s, full time athletes in body contact sports working out daily usually build up a bit of muscle.

They have the capacity to really hurt each other.

You cant objectively compare eras, the game has changed and is more athletic and faster

better conditioned, yes, better trained and managed yes

right across the whole team yes, but there were plenty of players with plenty of strength back in those days.

a lot stronger? no way

my father played reserve grade, was captain coach of a local team, also a professional swimmer and captain of the local RLSC, he didnt lack for strength or fitness.

plus you had to know how to fight and/or take whacks

Well you just did a good job of comparing them. :cool:

No doubt your Dad was an exceptional sportsman but the average player trained two night a week and recovered on beer on Sundays.

I think nine out of ten of today's players would run right through most of those old guys.

And of course, whackers and punchers don't last long in todays game.

The only issue i had with Dangers tackle was how long the tackle lingered on after the ball was released.

Was it worth a week,not for me cause i have an issue with  his his fantasy scoring of late and giving my opponents 700+ big ones to spend on more points.

On the past and present speed of the game,before it became athletes first trying to be footballers i can't recall the older players leading with there head like nowadays.So many head clashes these days.

The good old go low with a good bump worked fine as players were making contact side on to clear a player away from the ball but it's a forgotten art of the game.