Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

How Eddie McGuire and Amazon could shake up the AFL on TV

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-eddie-mcguire-and-amazon-could-shake-up-the-afl-on-tv-20200224-p543v4.html

The AFL's television landscape is set for a shake-up after global streaming giant Amazon agreed to a $10 million deal with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire’s media company.

Football industry sources have confirmed to The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald that Amazon is purchasing the rights for a series of football club documentaries, to be produced by Jam TV – the television arm of McGuire Media – and shown on Amazon Prime in Australia.

Collingwood and Sydney are among the clubs approached to feature in the series, but the project hit an early snag when the football department of McGuire's own club, the Magpies, indicated they were not keen on taking part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

How Eddie McGuire and Amazon could shake up the AFL on TV

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-eddie-mcguire-and-amazon-could-shake-up-the-afl-on-tv-20200224-p543v4.html

The AFL's television landscape is set for a shake-up after global streaming giant Amazon agreed to a $10 million deal with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire’s media company.

Football industry sources have confirmed to The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald that Amazon is purchasing the rights for a series of football club documentaries, to be produced by Jam TV – the television arm of McGuire Media – and shown on Amazon Prime in Australia.

Collingwood and Sydney are among the clubs approached to feature in the series, but the project hit an early snag when the football department of McGuire's own club, the Magpies, indicated they were not keen on taking part.

I'm surprised Sydney would have anything to do with supporting anything connected to Eddie either. Maybe its GWS?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Hey Bookman,where is ANZ stadium at the moment.

Are you guys penciled in to play any games there this season.

We would play GWS at Olympic park as their home game but all of our home games will be at the SCG as far as i know. We abandoned the Homebush stadium as a home ground. It wasn't popular with the membership, wasn't much of an advantage, poor playing surface, Concession holders refused to serve Chardonnay 

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, BookmanBkk said:

Fevola's bird's name is Alex??  ????

Walking the dog here in an afternoon (which takes an ETRNITY because all the women stop me and make goo-goo eyes at my dog) i am always seeing millenial types paying for their Uber eats outside their places. Must be costing them a fortune

Yes....his ex wife and  new GF is names Alex.....she is the one and the same...they have this sort of relationship where she throws him out he goes on a bender then cleans himself up so she takes him back in....over and over,.....for the sake of the kids....that sort of thing, she isnt to bad looking so why she is stuck in concrete with this fella is beyond me...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Disgraceful the Swans let this happen on their watch.

I wonder if at halftime the coach ever told him to "pull his finger out".

Warwick Capper had halftime sex at the height of his AFL career

Former AFL bad boy Warwick Capper has lamented a bygone era of the great game including his halftime sexcapades with ex-wife Joanne.

Capper, a former Sydney Swans and Brisbane Bears superstar, said old school fun has been sucked out of AFL because there is too much at stake.

“There’s too much money, the players get paid too much and they get fined,” Capper told Confidential.

“Back then, I used to have sex in the toilets at halftime. Now, it’s don’t show any emotion, don’t wear tight shorts, don’t wear white boots, don’t do a handstand, don’t kick 100 (goals).”

Asked to clarify his halftime activities, Capper said: “Yes, I had sex at halftime with Joanne. I’d be tired for the first five minutes of the third quarter, so I sat in the square until I got my energy back.”

Must have worked for him in the 1987 season when he kicked 103 goals ????????

Capper was 77 games for 279 goals for Sydney ... Had he stayed at Sydney he might have booted 600+ or even 800 with a 200 game career

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Must have worked for him in the 1987 season when he kicked 103 goals ????????

Capper was 77 games for 279 goals for Sydney ... Had he stayed at Sydney he might have booted 600+ or even 800 with a 200 game career

The Wiz is on the You Cannot Be Serious podcast which is quite enjoyable.

https://smartassam.podbean.com/

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CTE found in Polly Farmer's brain

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/cte-discovered-in-polly-farmer-s-brain-in-landmark-afl-first-20200226-p544oq.html

CTE1.PNG

Edited by BookmanBkk
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BookmanBkk said:

CTE found in Polly Farmer's brain

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in people with a history of repetitive brain trauma (often athletes), including symptomatic concussions as well as asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head that do not cause symptoms.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/cte-discovered-in-polly-farmer-s-brain-in-landmark-afl-first-20200226-p544oq.html

CTE1.PNG

With concussion articles today on John Barnes and Shaun Smith, I can see the AFL making some changes.

Compulsory helmets?

Ban the bump?

Don't shoot the messenger gang.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I reckon it's too hard to compare players from different era's.

You wouldn't be unhappy with either one.

John Longmire takes the fifth when asked who’s No.1 between Lance Franklin and Wayne Carey

John Longmire played with Wayne Carey and coaches Lance Franklin, but don’t ­expect him to reveal who he thinks is the better player.  Not yet, anyhow.

Longmire initially laughed at the craziness of the question.

“I won’t be coaching him then, and then I can make a ­decision.

“But they’re close. There’s not much in it.”

Carey is widely considered one of the greatest players to have played the game, a claim that also sits comfortably with Franklin.

Carey played 272 games and kicked 727 goals, was a powerhouse centre half-­forward, highly skilled on both sides of the body, a ­prodigious kick and superb pack mark.

And a leader on the field of the highest calibre.

Franklin has played 300 games and kicked 944 goals, does not mark like Carey, and never uses the right side of his body.

But he is dynamic on the deck, agile, and arguably a more penetrating kick than Carey. He has become a strong leader.

“I just can’t call it now,” Longmire said.

Franklin, 33, needs 56 goals to become the sixth player in VFL/AFL history to kick 1000.

The five are Tony Lockett (1360), Gordon Coventry (1299), Jason Dunstall (1254), Doug Wade (1057) and Gary Ablett Sr (1031).

• Like 2

This is what most expected I think.

Finals or bust for Hinkley, Koch confirms

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch has confirmed that Ken Hinkley’s term as senior coach will hinge on whether the Power makes finals in 2020. Koch said Hinkley had put on record that he had a trigger clause in his coaching contract that would be enacted if Port played finals this year – activating a contract for 2021.

Koch indicated the contract reflected the club’s position – that the question of whether Hinkley coached Port in 2021 - would be decided by whether the club reached finals.

‘‘That’s not from me, that came from him,’’ said Koch, who was speaking after the announcement of a lucrative five-year sponsorship deal with MG Motor that Koch saw as shoring up the club’s financial position.

Asked if this meant that to be coaching in 2021, Hinkley would have to get Port into the finals, Koch said: ‘‘Yep, yep.

‘‘That’s nothing new because he said it ... in most of our contracts, whether that’s players or coaching staff, I’m a great believer in performance triggers.’’

Koch said Hinkley had set a finals objective for this year ‘‘and I completely support him. He actually said finals and challenge for a grand final, I love him for it. That’s great, don’t be afraid to do it.’’

Asked if Hinkley had put pressure on himself, Koch said: ‘‘He’s put expectations on. He’s owning success, which I love. I don’t do Sunrise to be No.2.’’

The Sunrise host said the club was excited ‘‘and quietly confident’’ about their prospects for 2020.
He said he believed the club had the talent and maturity to make the finals. ‘‘Too right we do ... in my eyes this is the best list we’ve had since I’ve been here.’’

Koch agreed that Hinkley’s contractual arrangement was similar to that of Alan Richardson entering last year at St Kilda.

The Port chairman revealed that the club had chosen to have a sole captain (Tom Jonas), rather than last year’s co-captains of Jonas and Ollie Wines, ‘‘because our supporter base and members were incredibly vocal, particularly going into the 150th year’’.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

This is what most expected I think.

Finals or bust for Hinkley, Koch confirms

Port Adelaide chairman David Koch has confirmed that Ken Hinkley’s term as senior coach will hinge on whether the Power makes finals in 2020. Koch said Hinkley had put on record that he had a trigger clause in his coaching contract that would be enacted if Port played finals this year – activating a contract for 2021.

Koch indicated the contract reflected the club’s position – that the question of whether Hinkley coached Port in 2021 - would be decided by whether the club reached finals.

‘‘That’s not from me, that came from him,’’ said Koch, who was speaking after the announcement of a lucrative five-year sponsorship deal with MG Motor that Koch saw as shoring up the club’s financial position.

Asked if this meant that to be coaching in 2021, Hinkley would have to get Port into the finals, Koch said: ‘‘Yep, yep.

‘‘That’s nothing new because he said it ... in most of our contracts, whether that’s players or coaching staff, I’m a great believer in performance triggers.’’

Koch said Hinkley had set a finals objective for this year ‘‘and I completely support him. He actually said finals and challenge for a grand final, I love him for it. That’s great, don’t be afraid to do it.’’

Asked if Hinkley had put pressure on himself, Koch said: ‘‘He’s put expectations on. He’s owning success, which I love. I don’t do Sunrise to be No.2.’’

The Sunrise host said the club was excited ‘‘and quietly confident’’ about their prospects for 2020.
He said he believed the club had the talent and maturity to make the finals. ‘‘Too right we do ... in my eyes this is the best list we’ve had since I’ve been here.’’

Koch agreed that Hinkley’s contractual arrangement was similar to that of Alan Richardson entering last year at St Kilda.

The Port chairman revealed that the club had chosen to have a sole captain (Tom Jonas), rather than last year’s co-captains of Jonas and Ollie Wines, ‘‘because our supporter base and members were incredibly vocal, particularly going into the 150th year’’.

Port to miss the finals I would say.

Being a coach under Chairman Koch must be a nightmare

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

With concussion articles today on John Barnes and Shaun Smith, I can see the AFL making some changes.

Compulsory helmets?

Ban the bump?

Don't shoot the messenger gang.

Messengers are always shot, it's the sign of a successful dictatorship 

What can they do?  Make it a contactless sport?  Perhaps that's what Netball fans such as @AlexRRR or @Thechook might enjoy but i don't think the general viewing public is going to get off on it.

AFL, Rugby, League, that american game, they ll have this major issue with a game that knowingly helps brain damage along. I guess Boxing and MA have the same issue and that hasn't seen a deterioration in watching popularity.

Mothers and fathers are going to be less and less likely to want their kids playing the contact games, as more evidence emerges.

The AFL Thought Control boffins have introduced plenty of rules protecting players from nasty clashes, but there is still going to be head clashes, esp when you consider players are trained to be brave and watch the flight of the ball , not a player coming in to smash their head.

Perhaps all players could wear inflatable bubbles around their heads?

• Like 2

More concerning/disappointing news

Daniel Venables to sit out season

After a considered evaluation and discussion, West Coast Eagles premiership forward Daniel Venables will sit out of football in 2020.

Venables has trained to a modified program during the pre-season, with variances in the levels of comfort he has felt after training sessions. At the forefront of the mind in this decision is Venables long-term health and wellbeing.

There remains some lingering symptoms following the very significant head knock he received in the round nine game against Melbourne last year.

He has not played since that game and after deep consideration has decided he will not play this season.

• Sad 1

On 2/27/2020 at 11:52 AM, Will27 said:

I reckon it's too hard to compare players from different era's.

You wouldn't be unhappy with either one.

John Longmire takes the fifth when asked who’s No.1 between Lance Franklin and Wayne Carey

John Longmire played with Wayne Carey and coaches Lance Franklin, but don’t ­expect him to reveal who he thinks is the better player.  Not yet, anyhow.

Longmire initially laughed at the craziness of the question.

“I won’t be coaching him then, and then I can make a ­decision.

“But they’re close. There’s not much in it.”

Carey is widely considered one of the greatest players to have played the game, a claim that also sits comfortably with Franklin.

Carey played 272 games and kicked 727 goals, was a powerhouse centre half-­forward, highly skilled on both sides of the body, a ­prodigious kick and superb pack mark.

And a leader on the field of the highest calibre.

Franklin has played 300 games and kicked 944 goals, does not mark like Carey, and never uses the right side of his body.

But he is dynamic on the deck, agile, and arguably a more penetrating kick than Carey. He has become a strong leader.

“I just can’t call it now,” Longmire said.

Franklin, 33, needs 56 goals to become the sixth player in VFL/AFL history to kick 1000.

The five are Tony Lockett (1360), Gordon Coventry (1299), Jason Dunstall (1254), Doug Wade (1057) and Gary Ablett Sr (1031).

For what im worth and its not much to most, Wayne gay Carey who I like more as a commentator than a footy player....ran hot and cold like my bathroom tap most of the time....Lance is a pure machine unless carrying an injury, Lance is by far the second best player ever in VFL or AFL....Lethal Lee is my number uno....being 2ft nothing and pure muscle a bit underhanded and a very intelligent player on the ball showed what pure class at 105 could do as a broken down wreak in the forward line for the last 4 or so of his years playing the game...This guy produced pretty much always as does Lance...Now if you want to say who's the best big man ever....then its Lance...then Jimmy....Lance can at least ruck and plays like a tall midfielder where's Jimmy was a bit of a hack ruckman but a contributor who played like a tall midfielder both very affective in there rolls....

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

For what im worth and its not much to most, Wayne gay Carey who I like more as a commentator than a footy player....ran hot and cold like my bathroom tap most of the time....Lance is a pure machine unless carrying an injury, Lance is by far the second best player ever in VFL or AFL....Lethal Lee is my number uno....being 2ft nothing and pure muscle a bit underhanded and a very intelligent player on the ball showed what pure class at 105 could do as a broken down wreak in the forward line for the last 4 or so of his years playing the game...This guy produced pretty much always as does Lance...Now if you want to say who's the best big man ever....then its Lance...then Jimmy....Lance can at least ruck and plays like a tall midfielder where's Jimmy was a bit of a hack ruckman but a contributor who played like a tall midfielder both very affective in there rolls....

To summarize:
Swans decision to bring in Buddy, 2nd best player ever in your words, was a stroke of genius

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

More concerning/disappointing news

Daniel Venables to sit out season

After a considered evaluation and discussion, West Coast Eagles premiership forward Daniel Venables will sit out of football in 2020.

Venables has trained to a modified program during the pre-season, with variances in the levels of comfort he has felt after training sessions. At the forefront of the mind in this decision is Venables long-term health and wellbeing.

There remains some lingering symptoms following the very significant head knock he received in the round nine game against Melbourne last year.

He has not played since that game and after deep consideration has decided he will not play this season.

It is going to shorten many a p[layers careers IMO. Besides the player being reluctant to risk knocking the noggin again, insurance companies wont want to cover the player ongoing and clubs will be reluctant to recruit a player with previous head knocks

• Like 2