Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Another club coming out putting more pressure on themselves before a ball has been bounced in anger.

Melbourne has set a goal of reaching the finals every year and winning one premiership over a four year period, in both the AFL and the AFLW, as part of the club's ambitious strategic plan.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/demons-design-plan-to-make-finals-every-year-and-win-a-flag-by-2023-20200217-p541ot.html

QIy5rCmq.jpg

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

Another club coming out putting more pressure on themselves before a ball has been bounced in anger.

Melbourne has set a goal of reaching the finals every year and winning one premiership over a four year period, in both the AFL and the AFLW, as part of the club's ambitious strategic plan.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/demons-design-plan-to-make-finals-every-year-and-win-a-flag-by-2023-20200217-p541ot.html

QIy5rCmq.jpg

How will so many clubs meet there stated premiership goals?

Is the AFL giving out more than one premiership each year now?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

You don't need us to bag your club out, you are doing fine all by yourself ????????

never dropped a cent into the bucket to save them either....let them go to the wall was my mantra....merge or banished to some other state was fine with me....

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

I almost spurt my coffee out when I read that.....first thing I thought of was the Saints who boasted a few years ago.....No F********ing spine at DeeLand, not one knuckle man amongst them, a bunch of pansies and id be embarrassed to put it out there as well....

Minimum finnish is 4th spot and at least one finals win or Goodwin gets a lead bullet between his eyes....Roos had wanted Stewie Dew to take over from him, now that the lad has cut his teeth up there on that basket case should be ready to roll with a half decent team, thats what id be thinking off if simple fails again....

Easy Kemosabe.

Are you talking about board members or players?

Melbourne has some toughies I reckon.

Viney is a bull, Nathan Jones, Steven May, James Harms and Michael Hibberd are all pretty hard

at it I reckon.

Interesting point you make about Stewie Dew.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

If i am agreeing with Robbo, maybe i should re-think my thoughts!

If there isn't interest in the game, why give it such high promotion?  It's bad enough i have to scroll through the dross on the AFL website

That kills me BM.

Same on the cricket Australia website.

Open it up and there's a headline like "star bowler breaks down".

I'm thinking. oh poo,  Cummins has broken down.

It turns out to be of the women.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

Easy Kemosabe.

Are you talking about board members or players?

Melbourne has some toughies I reckon.

Viney is a bull, Nathan Jones, Steven May, James Harms and Michael Hibberd are all pretty hard

at it I reckon.

Interesting point you make about Stewie Dew.

All went missing when needed......players....the new board has some balls....El presidente stood over the football dept and told them to get there act together....or else...

Stew for coach if Simon fails again....he has a lot to change and would have known if he couldnt get them up the ladder at least he would be doomed as an assistant for life...besides Roos wanted him......over everyone else.....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 2

Victory go down by 0-1 over Seoul in a pretty good display while Sydney FC were run rings around by Ange's Yokohama 4-0, looking second rate and very slow most of the game....screams of get rid of the salary cap WILL begin sometimes soon....

Meanwhile this weekend (Saturday) at 4pm Melbourne time its your chance to see what Simple Simon has come up with over the preseason when they take on the Crows, im looking forward to see this slow summer practice game to kill a Saturday late afternoon when everyone is asleep....but since I returned to winter like conditions of a top of 17 then 18 today and still feeling like 00 when I got up at 8.30.....slept in as I didnt get a wink on the plane.....now 12.48 and its...17 overcast skies gloomy depressing, women rugged up in snow gear at the shopping centre....(doesn't take long hey?) feels like 5 looks like 00 still....and now wish I was stumbling over pot hole footpaths in BKK again...by the way the footpaths are better in Pattaya.....

I expect to see Luke Johnson rucking for the Dee's as both big men are down so WILL do tune in to see your new recruit for 2023 and 10 first round picks lighter the Eagles WILL be doing the job over the Crows...

North and Fj WILL be heartened Daw to return to the firsts this weekend, good on yaaaa.....I recon this guy we aint seen nothing yet...

I can tell you from first hand experience....when you make your own salad dressing forget the garlic....I did make some up and its repeating on me...the garlic that is....and I love garlic...indeed....white wine vinegar virgin olive oil and 2 gloves of garlic...(im a guts for it) and the conclusion is it dont goo......poured it on my salad ham and cheese (farang food) roll for lunch...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/19/business/burger-king-mold/index.html Its comforting to know Burger King uses less preservatives than the Mac...nice song too on the commercial....and I am over burgers for now.....tummy been delicate for like 3 months so had to eat "simple" foods, ate a few too many Macs and BKings while away, though I tried to choose the more healthy options like the fish from Macdonalds and the vegie from BK, yes I know what your thinking.....I justify it in my my mind that its more healthy ok.....I ate my fair share of chicken fried rice from tops as well as chicken basil with rice too...you see im not a fan of red meat in hot times....

The "special one" Jose says playing in the Champions league is "like going to fight without bullets in your gun" when downed by a so so German team, putting pressure on Spurs GM who is well known for not spending money which brings me to ask why did Jose go there in the first place.....perhaps its to remind him of there deal......to spend....and Jose likes to spend big as im dam sure he wouldnt  have gone to Hotspurs if that wasnt promised...we shall see.....

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/14/tech/apple-swiss-watches/index.html Yep im believing it....believing fitness type wearables are killing off watches, I love my Apple looking Fitbit, just over $300 and 3 day charge, looks good too and does a few more things than tell time...also receives text message but I dont blue tooth it  so I dont get messages to my wrist, no one texts me anyway so it dont matter....well my kids are text mad of course, inside my tea box which is my well jewellery box I guess...this tea box I got in Sir Lanka up in the hills in tea country that came with tea inside of course....houses the relics of the past...3 watches....I use to take one each vist to Thailand to get a new battery as they like cheap there compared to here....why 3 watches? ahhh you want to know right? One night i left my watch at a dates place before I went strictly Thai, I take everything off when its funny business time and I was straying over....She the lovely lass had been into growing and making plonk on the farm with previous lover, when they split she moved to the hills , lovely area by the way, and of course took a number of crates of the precious stuff....over dinner and a few bottles I was rather forgetful in the morning and my watch was left behind, this is December and the honey was going to Sydney for a month, living to far to drive back right away it stayed with her till she returned....feeling naked I bought another.....The other some how the pieces dont line up to well in the brain.....I do know my watch of that time went missing and I always suspected my cat...yes I once had a cat..an Abyssinian (Prince of Egypt) his name was Prince, given to him by my Italian GF of the time that they both adored each other, me less, well I always suspected he took it somewhere as he was the only living thing in the house, never ever seen again. I did expect to find it one day like when moving out...nope....never...unless an alien took it have no idea what happened to it unless Prince ate it....so eventually I bought another....it dont make sense right how I got 3 when you only need one....im sure there is a logical answer I just forgot it....

So I have 5 watches........yes the Fitbit is 4.....use to wear it to work....it was getting scratched so I retired it and wear on weekends and bought a cheap Casio for 100 or so dollars that are unbreakable for work in black and bullet proof...that is number 5....good for hard yakka as ive had a few of them over the years for work.....

Now how did I end up with the Fitbit your probley thinking......well I had another wearable...cheaper version, I had the idea to watch my steps etc, I had got the idea to get more physical you see.....this watch turned out to be a favourite, after gym I use to sneak into a hot tub at the centre....somehow I thought it was waterproof.....well it was for the first few weeks...then one day it died....looking it up...not waterproof at all....missing it I decided to buy another....when looking at them at JB it was like WOW.....the range had become fantastic, and even more fantastic since I got the Fitbit....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Thanks 1

From The Age, for uncle Alex.

Demon targets pile extra pressure on coach Simon Goodwin

The five and 10-year plans that Richmond put forth early in 2010 were greeted with the kind of scoffs that accompanied Bob Hawke's 1987 pledge that no child would be living in poverty by 1990. Richmond had played finals only twice in the preceding 27 seasons, had a debt of well over $4 million and a far smaller, sullen membership.

Melbourne's plan, by comparison, is actually a little less ambitious than the Tigers of a decade ago. The Demons are aiming for "only" one flag in four years and finals every year, compared to what then seemed an outrageous Richmond ambit of three premierships by the end of 2020.

Melbourne's 55-year drought – the AFL's longest by two years (St Kilda's is 53 and counting) – and their one finals series in 13 years means there's probably even less faith in the Demons of 2020 than the Tigers of 2010, who had just hired Damien Hardwick and Brendon Gale as coach and chief executive, but didn't have the depth of talent that the Dees have today.

Four consecutive finals series and one flag is ambitious but also achievable if the Demons get their act together in football and get lucky. The plan to have a new, permanent home base under construction by 2023 might have as high a degree of difficulty as the premiership/finals objective, although Melbourne fans would say there's nothing more improbable than that first premiership since dollars replaced the pound.

But whether these targets are harder than getting emissions to zero, the Demons were right to challenge themselves with their four-season plan; it will keep the football department, board and administration accountable, although the acid is mainly on the coaches and football staff, given that the financial targets are – as CEO Gary Pert acknowledged – largely dependant on what happens on the field.

The goal of immediate and consecutive finals confirms that the Demons see themselves as a ready-to-contend team that had a disastrous 2019, rather than a developing list that fluked a finals surge in 2018. The objectives put further heat on Simon Goodwin, who arguably enters this season with more pressure to get results than any other AFL coach, bar Port Adelaide's Ken Hinkley.

The Demons will need to get Steven May and Neville Jetta fit and firing and improve their defensive method and ball use, while finding another post-Jesse Hogan route to goal. The Demons have played a brand that places too much store in winning the ball first, when the game's benchmark, Richmond, take a completely different approach by having an insurance system in place for the event that the opposition takes the ball forward from the middle.

Goodwin has a revamped coaching panel in which Alan Richardson has replaced Brendan McCartney, and a new fitness chief in the ex-Port conditioner-in-chief Darren Burgess. The decision to offload Jesse Hogan – criticised in some quarters during Melbourne's early struggles in 2019 – has been justified by the gifted forward's own battles to overcome the demons he carried with him.

If Goodwin will feel the fire should the Demons fail to meet their own expectations, the club board headed by president Glenn Bartlett will also face significant scrutiny from media and their membership base given the long-term extension handed to Goodwin, the decision to hire Pert shortly after his exit from Collingwood and the growing impatience within a supporter base that, contrary to stereotype, is highly engaged (relative to their numbers, they are possibly the most engaged) and desperate for the club to restore some of the glories of the '50s and '60s. Significantly, Pert describes Melbourne as a shrunken version of a big club.

In their search for a new base within the walking distance of the MCG, the Dees have identified five active sites within the precinct (Gosch's Paddock's being an obvious contender for a ground), with none said to be more likely than any other; there is, as the club admits, a long way to go to land that elusive facility, for which they are counting on the state government in particular.

But it is the task of climbing the ladder – with the first summit since '64 the club's stated mission by 2023 – that will define Simon Goodwin's coaching career and the fate of the Bartlett board. For once, the Demons have set themselves a standard they can't walk past.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

From The Age, for uncle Alex.

Demon targets pile extra pressure on coach Simon Goodwin

The five and 10-year plans that Richmond put forth early in 2010 were greeted with the kind of scoffs that accompanied Bob Hawke's 1987 pledge that no child would be living in poverty by 1990. Richmond had played finals only twice in the preceding 27 seasons, had a debt of well over $4 million and a far smaller, sullen membership.

Melbourne's plan, by comparison, is actually a little less ambitious than the Tigers of a decade ago. The Demons are aiming for "only" one flag in four years and finals every year, compared to what then seemed an outrageous Richmond ambit of three premierships by the end of 2020.

Melbourne's 55-year drought – the AFL's longest by two years (St Kilda's is 53 and counting) – and their one finals series in 13 years means there's probably even less faith in the Demons of 2020 than the Tigers of 2010, who had just hired Damien Hardwick and Brendon Gale as coach and chief executive, but didn't have the depth of talent that the Dees have today.

Four consecutive finals series and one flag is ambitious but also achievable if the Demons get their act together in football and get lucky. The plan to have a new, permanent home base under construction by 2023 might have as high a degree of difficulty as the premiership/finals objective, although Melbourne fans would say there's nothing more improbable than that first premiership since dollars replaced the pound.

But whether these targets are harder than getting emissions to zero, the Demons were right to challenge themselves with their four-season plan; it will keep the football department, board and administration accountable, although the acid is mainly on the coaches and football staff, given that the financial targets are – as CEO Gary Pert acknowledged – largely dependant on what happens on the field.

The goal of immediate and consecutive finals confirms that the Demons see themselves as a ready-to-contend team that had a disastrous 2019, rather than a developing list that fluked a finals surge in 2018. The objectives put further heat on Simon Goodwin, who arguably enters this season with more pressure to get results than any other AFL coach, bar Port Adelaide's Ken Hinkley.

The Demons will need to get Steven May and Neville Jetta fit and firing and improve their defensive method and ball use, while finding another post-Jesse Hogan route to goal. The Demons have played a brand that places too much store in winning the ball first, when the game's benchmark, Richmond, take a completely different approach by having an insurance system in place for the event that the opposition takes the ball forward from the middle.

Goodwin has a revamped coaching panel in which Alan Richardson has replaced Brendan McCartney, and a new fitness chief in the ex-Port conditioner-in-chief Darren Burgess. The decision to offload Jesse Hogan – criticised in some quarters during Melbourne's early struggles in 2019 – has been justified by the gifted forward's own battles to overcome the demons he carried with him.

If Goodwin will feel the fire should the Demons fail to meet their own expectations, the club board headed by president Glenn Bartlett will also face significant scrutiny from media and their membership base given the long-term extension handed to Goodwin, the decision to hire Pert shortly after his exit from Collingwood and the growing impatience within a supporter base that, contrary to stereotype, is highly engaged (relative to their numbers, they are possibly the most engaged) and desperate for the club to restore some of the glories of the '50s and '60s. Significantly, Pert describes Melbourne as a shrunken version of a big club.

In their search for a new base within the walking distance of the MCG, the Dees have identified five active sites within the precinct (Gosch's Paddock's being an obvious contender for a ground), with none said to be more likely than any other; there is, as the club admits, a long way to go to land that elusive facility, for which they are counting on the state government in particular.

But it is the task of climbing the ladder – with the first summit since '64 the club's stated mission by 2023 – that will define Simon Goodwin's coaching career and the fate of the Bartlett board. For once, the Demons have set themselves a standard they can't walk past.

Hope Simon is shaking in his boots.....he couldnt be that bad again no?

• Like 1

Chooks WILL be pleased to know the BUCH Saints women's team ran over the top of the Dee's last night....totally bored I watched most of the second half....leading 1-8 to 2-0 Saints pilled on 1-1 in the second half to ZILCH to run all over a ragged lot who just couldnt go forward or hold a mark, was the very first win for the Saints girls whilst the Dee's coming off 2 straight wins are doing there normal colliwobbles, start like a house on fire and and burn them selves out before finals time.....

Daisy (Leaver) Pearce was magic across the half back line as was spunky Paxman they stopped numerous Saints attacks, noticed that Dee blonde spunk Cat has eloped to the Saints and put in a half decent game as shes a babe and she can do nothing wrong...

The second half seems to go rather quickly, looks like little time on is added to the 15 min quarters its just as well its free entry to games, dont know if its on free to air but Kayo is using it to filler up there channel....

Later, well right after I tuned into the Hull vs Swansea game in the Championship....ive become a devotee of the Championship over the premier League thanks to playing Fifa Manager....lot more games and harder to stay top as you can see with Leeds the last 2 years.....Hull has Socceroo Irving playing for them....made captain now.....of Hull of course.....4-3 and a riveting game, see sawed all night long....Swansea wins and is threatening for a play off berth...

Assembled my new Weber Pulse 2000 yesterday evening before sitting down to relax.....its the Rolls of BBQ's......going to cook my first steak on it tonight....red meat...makes men strong....and have had only one steak when in BKK....eat your heart out Thai based guys...The steak I ate was at Oscars on Valentines day and had issues with screechers besides me...and it was obviously shipped via the Panama Canal as it tasted like it died about 20 years ago....Grass fed steak I buy.....loveeeeeeeely...

Cho cho is filthy and WILL get a wash shortly, sisters big mut Airedale or something like that slobbered all over the little fella..... sick and tired of her and glad to be home has hardly moved, thought he might have fired up by now, nope....hardly has stirred....just a little amused watching me swear while putting the Weber cart together, you would think when you pay $300 for something it would come assembled right?

Well the sun has come out today....finally.......was rather depressing cold and overcast at the same time....I hate it.....my sprits have risen and all without the help of JWB....top of 22 18 right now.....lovely.....I like autumn though officially were still in summer, I try and not be in Melbourne for most of Feb as I hate working in 40 degree heat....in fact I dont want to work in 35+ anymore....and guess what? never even got close to 40 this Feb......next year I WILL holiday on the Gold Coast in Feb....wind cheater girl may join me, well shes keen to wear her new bikini with new trim body on the lovely beach there, ( shes has launched into her diet with a vengeance to make sure she gets that free ride to Argentina, though I might change it to Italy) then drive down the coast slowly, if anyone can do it she can....she is very determined woman.

Ok cho....are you ready?

• Like 1

Part of an article in the HS.

I heard ST Kilda also offered voting rights to the lady in the pie shop but she declined the offer.

Unbelievable.

Mick McGuane has his say on pre-season leadership moves and voting

Great leaders are purveyors of hope.

Michael Voss was respected through sheer competitiveness and in his twilight years through his extraordinary preparation.

Nick Maxwell did it educating young stars such as Scott Pendlebury and Dale Thomas, through Williamstown beach recovery sessions at 9am.

Leadership comes in many forms. And modern leadership groups are bigger and more inclusive than ever before.

Gone are the days of a captain, vice-captain and deputy vice-captain.

This is the time of the year when the clubs release the ins and outs of their leadership groups.

Sam Walsh is in at Carlton in his second season; Zach Merrett is out at Essendon; the Brisbane Lions have included nine players; and St Kilda gave votes to the property steward and head trainer in their leadership election.

Talk about inclusiveness! Astounding!

• Like 2