TOPS says "No passport? No can pay phone bill. Or internet. Or electricity."

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I do the same with one exception which is my electricity bill.

Kbank don't have a way of accessing the PEA account for some reason. The PEA does have an app that I can use on my mobile but not it seems on my pc.

Kasikorn's mobile K+ app includes PEA, very easy to pay.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, MiNombreEsFicticious said:

Am I missing something?

After years paying bills at a nearby Krung Thai bank, a couple of months ago the counter staff wanted my passport for the first time. I just said. "No" and went across the street to a 7/Eleven where they took the payments without issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

why do I need a passport to pay for a scan in a private hospital?

My local doctor always asks for mine as well but I recently found out it's because she can never remember my name.

• Haha 2

Bangkok Bank pulls this crap intermittently, too. A couple of weeks ago, one teller refused to let me withdraw. So I drove down the road to the next branch and got my cash with driver's license only. It's a bit like these silly police crackdowns. A week's news cycle, and it's back to business as usual. I think bank managers put the fear of God in the tellers occasionally, then after a few days of hostility from the customers, it's business as usual.

I just encountered the same issue. I have been paying my electric bill at tops for years without issue. This week for the first time ever they asked for ID card or passport and said they couldn’t process the payment without. Asked to see the manager. She showed me the screen and said new policy and they can’t click enter until an id number is put in. She tried putting in all nines I think and it accepted the payment. What a waste of time. Going to pay online from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

If they tried that on me I'd smile and leave my shopping for them to put back on the shelves. If I'd already paid I'd insist on my money back!

Rooster

Insist on your money back - 5555555555555555!! Good luck with that one.

5 hours ago, stbkk said:

A week or so ago I was asked for my passport to top up my skytrain card at On-Nut skytrain station, definitely a first (for me).

They accepted my pink id card though.

And yesterday I topped up again at Phrakhanong BTS, and of course no request for passport, id etc. just hand over the money. 

TIT.

That’s because you only have to register your Rabbit card once !

Edited by MikeN

6 hours ago, stbkk said:

A week or so ago I was asked for my passport to top up my skytrain card at On-Nut skytrain station, definitely a first (for me).

And yesterday I topped up again at Phrakhanong BTS, and of course no request for passport, id etc. just hand over the money. 

TIT.

That's because Rabbit cards for the BTS have to be registered with your passport, after registering you aren't asked again because you're registered!  It was widely announced prior to the registration date, nothing to do with "TIT".

5 hours ago, andy8017 said:

When the next financial crisis hits they will dive into all our bank accounts as they did in Banks in Cyprus (bail In ) & paying your bills will be the last of your worries ,& there will be absolutely nothing you will be able to do about it !! 

That didn't happen in the last financial crisis here so why would you suggest it would happen next time?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, andy8017 said:

When the next financial crisis hits they will dive into all our bank accounts as they did in Banks in Cyprus (bail In ) & paying your bills will be the last of your worries ,& there will be absolutely nothing you will be able to do about it !! 

I was here during the last two financial crises.  Nothing happened to the banks.  Were you here and if so why don't you know that nothing happened? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If you click pay in PEA app the kbank should then send to your phone after entering the number into PEA app.

If it doesnt, open the Kbank app and it will be sat there waiting to be paid. Thats how it works for me with Kbank.

I do all my bill payments through KBanking online. I have just run through making a new payment and I cannot find the PEA listed anywhere.

I know that I can pay through their app on my phone.

I went to the PEA website and it seems that I can pay by direct debit through KBank but the amount varies every month so that seems to be a bit tricky. Nor can I find the direct debit on my internet banking.

I will ring the KBank call centre tomorrow and see what they can come up with.

Haven't had trouble prompt paying BBB or top up DTAC, but went to mail a letter and the Thai Post is requiring ID card, even from Thais to sell you the service! Ask why they were asking ID now and they said their computer system requires the entry to complete the sale.

8 hours ago, Guderian said:

why do I need a passport to pay for a scan in a private hospital?

Lets say you have no medical insurance, but I do, so we arrange a visit for a scan under my name with no ID required.  You get the scan and I claim it on my insurance.

Or, how about if I want to apply for medical insurance, but have a precondition that will show up on a scan.  I get you to have a scan under my name and use that to "prove" that I don't have the precondition.

Edited by ballpoint

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I do all my bill payments through KBanking online. I have just run through making a new payment and I cannot find the PEA listed anywhere.

I know that I can pay through their app on my phone.

I went to the PEA website and it seems that I can pay by direct debit through KBank but the amount varies every month so that seems to be a bit tricky. Nor can I find the direct debit on my internet banking.

I will ring the KBank call centre tomorrow and see what they can come up with.

Just paid mine with Krungthai bank.  I couldn't figure out where to find, "add meter location" on the PEA app

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

Bangkok Bank pulls this crap intermittently, too. A couple of weeks ago, one teller refused to let me withdraw. So I drove down the road to the next branch and got my cash with driver's license only. It's a bit like these silly police crackdowns. A week's news cycle, and it's back to business as usual. I think bank managers put the fear of God in the tellers occasionally, then after a few days of hostility from the customers, it's business as usual.

You beat me to it, I have been in a branch ofKasikorn  bank, not my own, and they asked for my passport, I said I do have it,  will my driving license do, cashier said no problem ,I have used my driving licence more for ID than showing to the police at roadblocks .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Just paid mine with Krungthai bank.  I couldn't figure out where to find, "add meter location" on the PEA app

On my one, just under the moving ads on the home page, there are links for "Meter Request" "News" "Payment Location" and "Cost Calculator".  Immediately below them, on the right hand side, is a with "Add Meter" beside it.  Clicking on that, you can either fill in the details by hand or, simpler, scan the QR code on your bill and get them done automatically.

I just found this picture in Google.  Click EN for English:

image.png.c099bce9ee11cbf24d582bd64ba447db.png

Edited by ballpoint

I pay my condo electricity bill with cash at the 7/11. Never been asked for any form of ID for 10 years.

I have to present my passport or a copy thereof when I'm withdrawing cash at a bank. I have no objection to that, a good security measure.

15 hours ago, andy8017 said:

Sure there's something you can do about it - don't keep money in a Thai bank account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sure there's something you can do about it - don't keep money in a Thai bank account.

Ya, that's what they said when the dollar was at 50 baht.  ???? Or do you want to talk about the pound?

Edited by marcusarelus

For Americans the best solution is to get a passport card.  You can't get on an international flight with it, but it's useful nevertheless, particularly in Thailand, which is a society where they expect everyone to have and show govt id.  While many Americans may be surprised to learn that the State Department offers a passport card, the Thais don't bat an eye since it fits with their expectation.

It's also easy to carry all the time in your wallet.