UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

snoop1130

21 hours ago, Spidey said:

What's the point of leaving only to rejoin after the next referendum? Waste of money.

More than just a waste of money, tge UK enjoys rafts of concessions from EU policies and regulations in its current membership, none of which will be available when the UK goes back begging to rejoin.

38 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Now that the new Brexit Party threatens their seats, a good number could change their minds back again.

And what seats would that be, the ones that the government does not want anyone to have.

As for a GE we can only live in hope, reality makes a non starter, could end up as UKraine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

In the unlikely event of another referendum, it’s clear the people would vote for No Deal.

Always nice to hear more predictions from the people who brought us the easiest deal in history, 350 million per week for the NHS and germany’s car manufacturers making the EU beg for a deal. Keep it coming, geniuses!

2 hours ago, Loiner said:

The seats that will be lost by both LAB and CON at the next GE, due to their turncoat MPs ignoring the public.
Whenever it is, just bring it on, their misdeeds won’t be forgotten by the electorate.

Those that are going to lose their seats at a GE have already lost them, whatever they do with their minds is not going to alter that.

TM will keep on asking in the hope that MP's get fed up sitting on the fence rather than on their seat.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

So now you are finally admitting the the UK will leave the EU.

That is I assume, what you meant when you say that the UK goes back begging to rejoin.

I don't think that there has been any real doubt that the UK would not leave Bill, all about damage limitation, push for remain and hope to get somewhere close.

It is not out of the question that the UK could be the thirty something member of the EU, particularly if Canada were to make a move in that direction.

In addition, CETA is possibly the farthest-reaching FTA between the EU and a foreign country. Because of the nature of CETA, some have said that it wouldn't be that far of a leap to EU membership. There have not been any polls conducted on the opinions of Europeans or Canadians regarding closer relations and EU membership.The province of Quebec would help to strengthen the Francophone bloc in the EU, with Francophone nations such as France, Luxembourg and Belgium likely to support Canadian membership. EU membership may also help to curb separatist sentiments in Quebec. Canada could also bring an Anglophone/English-speaking bloc back to the EU post-Brexit. In addition, it may decrease Canadian dependence on the United States regarding trade and security. It would also easily meet the Copenhagen Criteria for EU membership. Additionally, the EU is Canada's second-largest trading partner, and with EU membership, it could become the largest. Canadian and EU officials have not yet commented on this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada–European_Union_relations

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

Those that are going to lose their seats at a GE have already lost them, whatever they do with their minds is not going to alter that.

TM will keep on asking in the hope that MP's get fed up sitting on the fence rather than on their seat.

Sadly, at this point it's all just political manoeuvering, which is why most of us have little interest until something else happens - other than responding to posts which with we disagree.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 12:41 PM, Loiner said:

The seats that will be lost by both LAB and CON at the next GE, due to their turncoat MPs ignoring the publicWhenever it is, just bring it on, their misdeeds won’t be forgotten by the electorate.

Whilst I agree, I'm not looking forward to the pound falling even further as a result of the continuing uncertainty in the money markets.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sadly, at this point it's all just political manoeuvering, which is why most of us have little interest until something else happens - other than responding to posts which with we disagree.

Yes, we are all fully aware of the leavers way of thinking. They seem to think that people behind bars should remain there, irrespective of any new evidence.

Democracy, like justice, should be based on human decency not 50%.

49 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes, we are all fully aware of the leavers way of thinking. They seem to think that people behind bars should remain there, irrespective of any new evidence.

Democracy, like justice, should be based on human decency not 50%.

What a daft post...

At the time of the referendum voters just wanted the UK out of the EU clutches how ever the Gov did it..

I find it strange that folk like you do not understand that....????

• Like 2

Just now, transam said:

What a daft post...

At the time of the referendum voters just wanted the UK out of the EU clutches how ever the Gov did it..

I find it strange that folk like you do not understand that....????

I find it strange that you think that your opinion mirrors the opinions of 17 million others. Many Brexiteers relied on the leave campaign's promise to have an exit from the EU that would ensure that the UK would be the net beneficiary.

Many Brexiteers, who have seen and understood the deals on offer (May's deal/no deal Brexit), now realise that it's the impossible dream, or a pink unicorn as others like to put it.

Another referendum would now see people voting with their heads and voting remain.

• Like 1

Just now, transam said:

How do YOU know what will happen regarding the UK's benefit after we leave..?

Folk like YOU think the UK will go down the pan when YOU don't know..????

If the Germans actually launched there landing craft heading for Hastings in 1940 would YOU be standing on the beach waving a welcome flag because YOU thought we could not win....?

Maybe I don't know but most renowned economists do.

I don't really understand your analogy. Maybe a better analogy would be:

Would you jump out of an aeroplane at 20,000 feet, without a parachute, because you heard a story that a Russian pilot did it and lived?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Maybe I don't know but most renowned economists do.

I don't really understand your analogy. Maybe a better analogy would be:

Would you jump out of an aeroplane at 20,000 feet, without a parachute, because you heard a story that a Russian pilot did it and lived?

Well perhaps a remainer would if he was that worried about his cash stash invested in other EU countries...????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Just adding my 2 cents to all the Brexiteer prophesiers.

I don't prosthesis, I just want the UK away from those controllers across the channel...Same as those who voted for it...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

I don't prosthesis, I just want the UK away from those controllers across the channel...Same as those who voted for it...

Same as some of those who voted for it. To think that everyone voted Brexit for the one and same reason as you is delusional. Talking to friends in the UK, it appears that immigration was the main issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Well perhaps a remainer would if he was that worried about his cash stash invested in other EU countries...????

This remainer doesn't have cash invested in the EU. I do have two grown children, living in the UK, who's financial futures I worry about.

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

This remainer doesn't have cash invested in the EU. I do have two grown children, living in the UK, who's financial futures I worry about.

My mother worried about her future after being bombed out of two houses, she ended up having a good life......If you want to bow to the EU  because YOU are worried that is up to you....The voters did not think like you, they want their streets back controlled by their government...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey said:

We have similar base points...... vastly different perceptions of the future for our offspring (financial just being one aspect).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, transam said:

My mother worried about her future after being bombed out of two houses, she ended up having a good life......If you want to bow to the EU  because YOU are worried that is up to you....The voters did not think like you, they want their streets back controlled by their government...

Again, some voters. You really must stop assuming that all Brexiteers had the same motives as you. As I said, number 1 motive for voting Brexit was irrational fears about immigration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1