UK parliament very likely to consider new Brexit referendum - Hammond

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, transam said:

I am English...Never heard of the terms but just looked them up...Still none the wiser though..

I am not too sure about onesies, but spoonies is an affectionate name for a chain of pubs owned by this loyal brexiteer.

Profits in his bars fell almost 20% in H2 2018, clearly demonstrating that the forecast of a negative effect from Brexit was only down to Project Fear. 

Tim Witherspoon.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

I am not too sure about onesies, but spoonies is an affectionate name for a chain of pubs owned by this loyal brexiteer.

Profits in his bars fell almost 20% in H2 2018, clearly demonstrating that the forecast of a negative effect from Brexit was only down to Project Fear. 

Tim Witherspoon.jpg

But perhaps it was to do with not importing beer from countries that lambasted the UK....Who knows....Perhaps it was a smokers exit as they cannot puff....Who knows....????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Loiner said:

They can save Flower O’Scotland for Murrayfield.

The song was written Roy Williamson who lived in my home town the years prior to his death, a sleepy hollow in the north east. There was a Polish camp in the town and many remained after the war and I went to school with the offspring, no different to anyone else. Brexit has highlighted the bigotry south of the border where Poles are seen as little more than vermin. 

The Union is broken and only the delusional can ever think the damage will be repaired.

"Those days are past now, And in the past they must remain,
But we can still rise now, And be the (Independent) nation again,"

After all isn't that what leavers want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes, with razor blades in the lapels, dressed to kill took on a whole new meaning.

Not life as we know it Jim.

You forgot about the bicycle chain, drape jacket, drainpipe trousers and brothel creepers.

• Like 2

Your mate claims its true england and you love england...seems logical..maybe nontabury was drunk when he made the claim...iam sure he will post a reply soon

More likely you were drunk when you made your post. Your logic is illogical.
Nontaburi may or may not post a reply to where I should move from, but he could also leave you in blissful ignorance.
  • Like 1

Yes, with razor blades in the lapels, dressed to kill took on a whole new meaning.
Not life as we know it Jim.
Imo..after your rather stupid and ignorant utterance..I think it's time to phone the " white coat squad " re paying you a visit re mental assessment..but wait..I forgot..you're just another remoaner

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Far from impossible, it happened twice in Ireland and once in Denmark.

It happened nowhere because it is practically impossible. The outcome of a referendum is by its very nature what the people want, not what the parliament/government wants. So it’s practically impossible for parliament/government to use a referendum to achieve a desired outcome. For that they are better off using their regular powers as parliament/government. 

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Even the French rejected the EU constitution with a 55% NO but were then bypassed completely when that was thrown back up as the Lisbon Treaty.

First, they were not bypassed. The EU constitution was never ratified (because of the French and others’ no votes). Secondly, what you describe is not was the OP claimed (that a government uses referendums to achieve a desired outcome). 

• Like 1

The song was written Roy Williamson who lived in my home town the years prior to his death, a sleepy hollow in the north east. There was a Polish camp in the town and many remained after the war and I went to school with the offspring, no different to anyone else. Brexit has highlighted the bigotry south of the border where Poles are seen as little more than vermin. 
The Union is broken and only the delusional can ever think the damage will be repaired.

"Those days are past now, And in the past they must remain,
But we can still rise now, And be the (Independent) nation again,"

After all isn't that what leavers want.
Yip..rise all you want..everyone's entitled to get outa their kip at some point daily

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, nontabury said:

Where in heaven do you get these ideas from. Poles as vermin’s, your crazy,

Wrong again, it was the anti immigrant campaign rhetoric that was crazy.

Laminated cards were left outside primary schools and posted through letterboxes of Polish people in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, with the words ‘Leave the EU/No more Polish vermin’ in English and Polish (Cambridge News, June 25, 2016). 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1369183X.2018.1451308

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

You forgot about the bicycle chain, drape jacket, drainpipe trousers and brothel creepers.

Quite Bill, but the point was aimed at Glasgow and the gang culture, not quite the same as the Scotland I grew up in.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Wrong again, it was the anti immigrant campaign rhetoric that was crazy.

Laminated cards were left outside primary schools and posted through letterboxes of Polish people in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, with the words ‘Leave the EU/No more Polish vermin’ in English and Polish (Cambridge News, June 25, 2016). 

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1369183X.2018.1451308

- Polish surnames were in every street and classroom as a direct result of WW2 and it's immediate aftermath as you yourself have acknowledged &

- The default position for posters on this website is that they were in Thailand long before 2016 which, coupled with the above, renders them highly unlikely to have in any way been in a position to support or endorse such appalling behaviour.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Quite Bill, but the point was aimed at Glasgow and the gang culture, not quite the same as the Scotland I grew up in.

There were quite a few Teddy Boys down in Poole where I used to live but they kept mostly to themselves and the general public were not bothered.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, evadgib said:

- Polish surnames were in every street and classroom as a direct result of WW2 and it's immediate aftermath as you yourself have acknowledged &

- The default position for posters on this website is that they were in Thailand long before 2016 which, coupled with the above, renders them highly unlikely to have in any way been in a position to support or endorse such appalling behaviour.

So you believe the poster was quite justified in making this statement,

"Where in heaven do you get these ideas from. Poles as vermin’s, your crazy,"

Support or endorsement is irrelevant, trying to deny something took place is something else.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

There were quite a few Teddy Boys down in Poole where I used to live but they kept mostly to themselves and the general public were not bothered.

Unfortunately that was not the case in Scotland, North Sea oil created a migration that affected the whole of the north east resulting in division in what was peaceful and unified communities.

In a large part of Scotland the immigrants were home grown.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, evadgib said:

None of which negates the fact that racism and xenophobia were central parts of the Leave campaign.

The Leave campaign was widely criticised for the use of racism and xenophobia, far from not endorsing the ‘appalling behaviour’ there are Brexit supporters on this forum (But by no means all) who frequently make racist and xenophobic remarks.

I very rarely see those remarks challenged by Brexit supporting members.

I’m not at all sure on what basis you claim ‘the default position...’ is, or why it’s even relevant.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 11:21 AM, evadgib said:

This letter from Mr Spock to the AG makes interesting reading, particularly to any remainers that haven't seen it.

Redwood’s letter is referring to the Brexit deal (there is only one Brexit deal).

None of the points raised by Redwood are at odds with ‘Remain’ predictions of the kind of mess Brexit would become, you’ll find those predictions filed under ‘Project Fear’.

Brexit mess belongs to those who voted for it, nothing to do with Remain.