Why farangs dont fit into thailand

On 4/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, ivor bigun said:

I live a normal life here ,with my wife,our son lives with his girlfriend ,we shop ,go out to dinner ,garden same as we did in the UK ,why shouldnt i fit in?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you speak Thai? Are you immersed in Thai history,  culture,  spiritualism and folklore? Are you intimate with Thai idioms and word play? What is the colour of your skin?

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Do you speak Thai? Are you immersed in Thai history,  culture,  spiritualism and folklore? Are you intimate with Thai idioms and word play? What is the colour of your skin?

I've been intimate with a lot of Thai women.

Does that count?

We do the usual 'Maa dam', 'Dark Ling' and 'have you seen your gf yet?' word play jokes too.

Just because you're rubbish at languages, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

There is no such person as a farang. The term covers a hundred different nationalities, 

All with white skin.

It's a Thai anti white racist slur.

Equivalent to the 'n' word that I'm not allowed to print in this forum (due to it's inherent anti-white bias) which covers all the non-white races.

So I agree with you.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been intimate with a lot of Thai women.

Does that count?

We do the usual 'Maa dam', 'Dark Ling' and 'have you seen your gf yet?' word play jokes too.

Just because you're rubbish at languages, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

I dont think that you have picked up a couple of Issan/Thai phrases gives you the right to attacke me, who you dont know, for lack of language skills or cultural awareness. Your reply indicates are a newbie in Thailand.  Or just very naive tinged with a hostility problem. Australian?

Good luck. Pax Vobiscum!

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 11:04 AM, sfokevin said:

Consider yourself lucky!... An XL here is a tight fit for me... :coffee1:

3XL , that civil service pension, will be the death of me, thx taxpayers everywhere..

I wanna be  a thai ..555

Edited by elliss
spelling

Whilst I feel there is a little truth in what you say, mainly immigration red tape i believe Thailand is still a great place to live so maybe you should  "look outside the box" and discover real Thailand. I have lived in several Western countries and chose to move here despite not everything being ideal. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, steven100 said:

what a nonsense heading ….  what do you want and expect in a foreign country ...

flowers every morning after your happy ending. 

I wonder what his country wants from foreigners. 

These people have an attitue that they can do or they want to do anything in this country because it's a poor and 3rd world country and they are from modern,advanced,country (!) which is they treat refugees like a piece of meat and they don't want any farangs into their countries.

They can't live or survive in their own country because they don't have enough pension or income but they live here on their pension without starving by eating 40 baht Thai food everyday. And they still complain for everything. Go back to your country buddy Thailand is already poor and they don't need poor farang! They need money, just like what your country wants.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:04 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I dont think that you have picked up a couple of Issan/Thai phrases gives you the right to attacke me, who you dont know, for lack of language skills or cultural awareness. Your reply indicates are a newbie in Thailand.  Or just very naive tinged with a hostility problem. Australian?

Good luck. Pax Vobiscum!

That last sentence seems to be somewhat of a generalisation. 

13 hours ago, AverageBloke said:

That last sentence seems to be somewhat of a generalisation. 

Not to mention the rather intriguing fact that the poster he/she is responding to displays the moniker "BritManToo" which may indicate his nationality...

• Like 2

I know some people who are well integrated.
Characteristics.

One, they speak the language, married somebody about their age with same social background (not a tart pulled a bar or some boy toy). How many westerners come here who are essentially peasants with hardly any education ? Such unions are doomed

Two, they all contribute to community in ways other that earning a salary.

• Like 1

Well I see myself contributing to the Airlines, airport staffs, stewardesses,  motorbike taxi, tuktuks, markets, foodsellers, all beer companies and their employees,  condo rentals, my gf and her family etc etc

On 4/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, Mitkof Island said:

Yea like maybe learning to speak Thai. That will keep you busy for awhile.

Speaking some Thai goes a long way.  As does speaking Kwai, water buffalo language.  In get-togethers with my Thai in-laws, I don't understand most of what they say, as they get into the Lao/Isaan speak.  So I hear a key phrase or something and just give that water buffalo call, like I know what they are talking about.  Play like a monkey, stomp like a buffalo.  Whatever gets a laugh.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 5:13 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

There is no such person as a farang. The term covers a hundred different nationalities,  thousands of cultures and a host of other differences all grouped together under the lazy,  vaguely racist  lazy description. Many foreigners I know fit in better than some immigrants in my country.  My educated, or sophisticated friends and associates never use the term farang. They say foreigner. Its not a malicious term but neither was Ni##er or P@ki in the past. Just ignorance. But for foreigners to refer to themselves as F@rang is shameful.

Agree. I think it makes them feel they do fit in if they call themselves 'white n***ers'.

• Like 1

Umm...maybe because they are 6 feet tall,weigh about a 100 kilos,are a strange shade of pinko-grey,speak in funny languages and do not have callouses on their hands and knees..

Warning..if they do have the aforementioned callouses (even in incipient form) avoid them.

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

amended post. added the part about woman, and amended the part about the police - It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time. Here are some of my suggestions.

1. It is never a good idea to engage in a fight with a Thai person. Never. Only under the most extreme circumstances, when your life is being threatened. You never win. If you kick their ass you lose, if they kick your ass you lose. Just refrain. I get infuriated from time to time. But, I have learned to not mouth off, and I attempt to show respect. The bottom line is that there are traffic laws here, but they are never enforced by the toy police. So, there is no deterrent. Everyone does as they like. Of course, a tourist would not know that. There should be a set of printed rules, and advice given out by the TAT, to every tourist when they enter Thailand for the first time.

2. There is very little common sense or reason practiced here in Thailand. If it is employed, you will never be able to interpret it as the kind of common sense, and reason you are accustomed to.

3. Thailand is not a foreign country. It is a distant planet. Always keep that in mind. On so many levels, this place does is not familiar. That is one of the things I like most about living here. But, it takes some time to get used to, and I have to remind myself alot, of that reality. Perspective on the place helps alot. 

4. Most Thais are kind hearted, and decent people. Just show some respect. It is their country after all. Do not expect them to behave like you do. Kindness and respect toward the locals goes a long way toward making your stay here really pleasant, and can defuse, or prevent alot of hostile situations.

5. Thailand is a very foreign culture. They are one or two generations removed from a nearly total tribal existence. So, alot of traditional values still exist. Expect that. Most are very conventional people, and most live in very small boxes, in terms of lifestyle. 

6. The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. They operate franchises, and are completely immune to oversight or prosecution. So expect corruption from them, and expect a fleecing, if you give them the slightest opportunity. They are best avoided. Always remember. In Thailand the police do not engage in law enforcement. All they do is revenue collection. 

7. If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Expect trucks to be driving very slowly in the fast lane of a highway. If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

8. Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level. 

9. If you are going to get involved with a Thai woman, take into account the fact that most are immature and emotionally undeveloped. I highly recommend looking for a woman who is the eldest child in the family. They are given far more responsibility growing up, and it shows. And remember, you are no longer in the West, which means you do not have to check your cajones at the door. Do not behave like you behaved back there. If you do that, she will take over. Every ship needs a captain, right? And take your time. Time is your ally. If it is good, it is only going to get better. If there are real issues, they will reveal themselves over time. Do not allow a woman to push the agenda. Be a man. Push back. Be strong. Do as Bond would do. 

Do as Bond would do? James Bond? But that guy doesn't exist....

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Do as Bond would do? James Bond? But that guy doesn't exist....

It is metaphor. There are alot of guys who move here, and proceed to make the exact same mistakes they made in the West, leading to emasculation once again. That does not have to happen. Most women here actually like a man who is strong, assertive, confident, and willing to make a decision. The do not want a weak little puppy. Perhaps the better metaphor would have been Man Up!

On 4/13/2019 at 10:56 AM, colinneil said:

OP get up off your Pattaya bar stool, get out into the real Thailand, it will amaze you what you might find.

Problems.

The Pattaya bar stool is a relatively stress free place. Not much goes wrong there.

Trying to assimilate gets you trouble.

I like Thailand but proud to be a farang and don't want to "fit in"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

8. Face can be a real obstacle here. In my opinion, it is the single greatest weakness of the Thai people. They are pathologically afraid of losing face. Personally, I despise this practice of face. It prevents the society from maturing and progressing, on so many levels. Get used to it. If you confront a Thai, they will engage in fierce denial, and most will absolutely refuse to take responsibility for their actions, or admit, and own the problems they have caused, on any level.

Face is a misunderstood concept in Thailand.  Face is not being able to accept responsibility for your actions. 

Look at three countries after surrendering to the Allies at the end of WWII.  Thousands of Germans and Japanese committed suicide.  In Thailand they went to the bar and had a drink. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_suicides_in_1945_Nazi_Germany#Number_of_suicides_and_locations

Face and the Farang not being able to speak Thai are often confused.  My suggestion would be to learn how to speak Thai or find a woman who is fluent in English language and culture. 

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

A rather typical "me too" inspired response. One can be a perfect gentleman, and still be firm, assertive, decisive, and a real man, without being abusive on any level. Of course Minnie Driver, and Rosie McGowan would never agree with that statement. Things have changed for sure. And that is all good. No need to slap your woman around. I have never hit a woman in my life. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

A rather typical "me too" inspired response. One can be a perfect gentleman, and still be firm, assertive, decisive, and a real man, without being abusive on any level. Of course Minnie Driver, and Rosie McGowan would never agree with that statement. Things have changed for sure. And that is all good. No need to slap your woman around. I have never hit a woman in my life. 

Then renounce James Bond as your role model, I didn't mention him! You wrote, "Be strong. Do as Bond would do."

On 4/13/2019 at 11:06 AM, vinniekintana said:

Wise words

This being said, even if we were back home (and over 50) life wouldn't be any kinder.

At east here, I will never see winter again????...and plenty of other extras.

like never seeing a fat, pasty-white, whiskered grandma, smelling of Bengay, wanting to snuggle up with me....

Edited by Uptooyoo