105 road fatalities on first two days of Songkran

rooster59

3 minutes ago, joloit said:

I‘ve been trying to understand this myself. Officers facing away from the traffic with their heads buried in their cell phones. Surely, there must be an explanation.....

No..there is no explanation.

They do not care.

If they did they would at least try to abide by the traffic rules and regulations for the sake of their loved one's.

They are inured to carnage and slaughter,and refuse to take any personal responsibility for their behaviour.

Even Gen.Westmoreland was perplexed about this

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, joloit said:

I‘ve been trying to understand this myself. Officers facing away from the traffic with their heads buried in their cell phones. Surely, there must be an explanation.....

99% of the time it's the attitude of 'it didn't happen to me so why should I care',

22 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oh well have another go next year and 105 is no wonder having witnessed some of the absurd driving lunacy today????

I have been watching how some are acting in my rural area, loads driving around urined out of their brains on motorbikes, some driving about in pickups the drivers( a few arriving here) with that smile on their face and leaning over one way that only a drunk has,no wonder so many are dying if this is happening all over Thailand, nothing to do with me, I'm staying quiet, as I always do, only being a guest, what they do is none of my concern and the reason I will stay clear of any roads for a few more days.

Just had a disagreement with my Thai wife as to what could be done to reduce the loss of life every year. Here's my suggestion; have the head of every village put up posters of an accident/death of what happened to an occupant of the same village last year, showing the carnage, telling the whole village this will happen to them if they drink and drive, or one of their friends... 

4 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

wish they would break down the accident statistics into male and female.

Also..

Farang involved or not.

Would be interesting to see statistics on that.

If a farang is in the vicinity of a bike accident in pattaya, and they can smell a possible payout. 

The thai does not move, waits for mob to congregate and then see what can be extracted cash wise.

If its a Thai and Thai situation,  they normally exchange a few pleasantries, get up and get on with life. 

Seen this happen many times.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Also..

Farang involved or not.

Would be interesting to see statistics on that.

If a farang is in the vicinity of a bike accident in pattaya, and they can smell a possible payout. 

The thai does not move, waits for mob to congregate and then see what can be extracted cash wise.

If its a Thai and Thai situation,  they normally exchange a few pleasantries, get up and get on with life. 

Seen this happen many times.

Sure..Thai 99.679%

NUMBAH NEUNG.

5 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

wish they would break down the accident statistics into male and female.

I wish they would include any fatalities or accident statistics caused by these scumbags throwing water

at people riding motorbikes, not to mention cars also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

New tricks and old ponies comes to mind.

105 "official" road fatalities on first two days of Songkran. Except war zones, the only chance to see a carnage like this outside LOS is, if you throw a bloody chicken bone into a piranha basin.

you are absolutely wrong they don't eat bones

57 minutes ago, Trevor Collins said:

Just had a disagreement with my Thai wife as to what could be done to reduce the loss of life every year. Here's my suggestion; have the head of every village put up posters of an accident/death of what happened to an occupant of the same village last year, showing the carnage, telling the whole village this will happen to them if they drink and drive, or one of their friends... 

and you think that will do any good? You can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

Al-Jazeera, BBC, and a few other news outlets have previously done investigative journalism and released mini documentaries highlighting drug use, prostitution, slave trade, etc in many countries. A respected journalist could do authentic research to compare various country’s road safety statistics, methodology of creating those statistics, and a comparison of driver ability, law enforcement, road conditions, etc.
A mini-documentary / mini series could then be released.

This method would remove all the bar stool stories, ensure Thailand’s method of reporting traffic accident statistics are acceptable, and highlight the problem with Thai road safety to a much wider audience. There would also be examples of how other developing or newly developed countries addressed road safety issues.

Apparently, sitting behind a computer screen and bad mouthing Thais, RTP, or Thai roads is not the answer to improved road safety.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Sad 1

Until there’s a basis of motivation amongst a significant enough proportion of the population to address the issue there can be no incentive for the authorities to be bothered or inspired to do anything meaningful. I’m sure their attitude is " look they’re just thick lumpen masses killing each other voluntarily effectively- I’ll just make some cosmetic noises and pick up my pay cheque- anything else is a waste of time".......and frankly who can blame them? 

Well, nearly one more!

I received a full bucket of water from about a metre away whilst riding my motorcycle. I came off. Ambulance to hospital, a mass of bruises and abrasion wounds all down my left hand side - spectacles smashed. Luckily nothing broken. Police turned up whilst they were loading me into the ambulance. Not really interested. Apparently if I want my motorcycle repaired, spectacles replaced and medical bills covered I will have to track down the idiot who threw the water and report him to the police station myself.

I will.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, nearly one more!

I received a full bucket of water from about a metre away whilst riding my motorcycle. I came off. Ambulance to hospital, a mass of bruises and abrasion wounds all down my left hand side - spectacles smashed. Luckily nothing broken. Police turned up whilst they were loading me into the ambulance. Not really interested. Apparently if I want my motorcycle repaired, spectacles replaced and medical bills covered I will have to track down the idiot who threw the water and report him to the police station myself.

I will.

Very sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad it wasn't any more serious.

I don't know how much chance you'll have of tracking the bastard down and if you do, what the police will do about it.

They weren't interested when exactly the same thing happened to me about ten years ago:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1087971-songkran-road-carnage-thais-have-the-answer-electronic-monitoring-bracelets/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-13911333

WHY OH WHY can't the Thai government employ and train a large number of recruit police, teach them the rules of the road, traffic act, etc, and start up a Highway Patrol.

The sight of police alone might slow down speeding drivers, but also stop the drunks and speedsters, issue official fines, points subtracted from licences.

It might just lower the death toll.  The current figures are a total tragedy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eggers said:

Yep, Prayut, Prawit, entire Thai Gov't & RTP initiative of 5 - 10% reduction in road deaths & injuries working really well ....NOT!!! Complete failure!! 

Pathetic efforts no strong Policing of Road Laws; buck-passing responsibilities onto "..provinces", Minister Prawit needs to show some authority & push RTP to perform duties of upholding Road Laws or He should quit!!   

Unless the driver education improves significantly the tragedy will continue, but this will take ages so the best and only thing to reduce the incidents seems to implement a 100% private driving ban during Songkran which unfortunately never will happen ...

RIP

Just now, masuk said:

WHY OH WHY can't the Thai government employ and train a large number of recruit police, teach them the rules of the road, traffic act, etc, and start up a Highway Patrol.

The sight of police alone might slow down speeding drivers, but also stop the drunks and speedsters, issue official fines, points subtracted from licences.

It might just lower the death toll.  The current figures are a total tragedy!

It took me ten years to grasp the essential fact that no-one cares...

Couldn't quite get my head around it-but it is all of a piece really.

Just hoping that my Thai family (no different from the rest) get through it okay.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Oh well have another go next year and 105 is no wonder having witnessed some of the absurd driving lunacy today????

Today i looked on "You Tube Thailand dash cam crashes "

Appalling really

Impatience.

Disregard for anyone else.

Inattention.

Not driving to the conditions.

Etc etc.

Ive been coming here for 15 years and sorry to say I cant see it ever changing in my time.

46 minutes ago, Nicebus said:

Today i looked on "You Tube Thailand dash cam crashes "

Appalling really

Impatience.

Disregard for anyone else.

Inattention.

Not driving to the conditions.

Etc etc.

Ive been coming here for 15 years and sorry to say I cant see it ever changing in my time.

Thai Traffic DNA exist also among other nationalities:

1 hour ago, masuk said:

If they really wanted to, they would. Most accidents involve motorcycles and normally, rich hiso's don't ride motorcycles! Until the general population takes it upon themselves to improve their mindless driving habits, the carnage will continue.

• Like 1