Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

18 minutes ago, yodsak said:

1899138256_ScreenShot2020-06-19at14_50_25.png.92da19140ccfda394ee32cd3e2a21fe1.png

Hypothesis is right. Two modes of thinking...................

One study suggests that intuitive thinking may be one out of many sources that affect levels of religiosity and that analytical thinking may be one out of many sources that affect disbelief.[However, others who have reviewed studies on analytic thinking and nonbelievers suggest that analytical thinking does not imply better reflection on religious matters or disbelief.

A global study on educational attainment found that Jews, Christians, religiously unaffiliated persons, and Buddhists have, on average, higher levels of education than the global average. Numerous factors affect both educational attainment and religiosity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Correct, for all, except yourself. 

And you still don't get it. But I am sure you will pretend you are. 

Now I expect, as usual, a reaction from yourself, with at the end a laughing emoticon ( Convinced that your posts are oh so funny). 

In my world it is the others who decide if something is funny or not. 

Oh no, I got it the first time. In fact I took all your points, picked them apart with facts and killed them off with logic. You got offended and started attacking me on a personal level. Well, cry me a river.

3 hours ago, luckyluke said:

In my world it is the others who decide if something is funny or not. 

Which others? The ones who put the laughing emoticons under my posts? They seem to find them funny too. ???? 

• Like 2

All talk of God and religion is driven by our apprehension and curiousity regarding the state of play once rigor mortis sets in.

The dead have moved beyond us in 2 ways: time has ceased to exist for them, and with the death of the flesh, so has our world of 3 dimensions lost any meaning for them.

We have no idea if the souls of our ancestors 'exist' beyond this world because their 'state' is not one of this world. 

It's beyond our human comprehension.

No use guessing about a God in this life, wait till you croak, then you will know.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bannork said:

All talk of God and religion is driven by our apprehension and curiousity regarding the state of play once rigor mortis sets in.

The dead have moved beyond us in 2 ways: time has ceased to exist for them, and with the death of the flesh, so has our world of 3 dimensions lost any meaning for them.

We have no idea if the souls of our ancestors 'exist' beyond this world because their 'state' is not one of this world. 

It's beyond our human comprehension.

No use guessing about a God in this life, wait till you croak, then you will know.

What if you could know before you croak, would you still prefer to wait?

On 6/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, Sujo said:

And yet here you are still trying to state an opinion as fact.

Can you ask your god why he or she only seems to have followers that are a sandwich short of a picnic.

Forum rules

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

THat's not what the posts in this thread are about, is it?   or do you only read headlines?

The posts in this thread touch many different topics: science, psychology, religion, nature, extraterrestrial life, music, art, entheogenic substances, life and death, the afterlife, personal experiences, and many more. 

God is present everywhere, with-in and with-out, so they all relate to the title of the thread.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Forum rules

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members,

Well, I am guilty myself with not always strictly adhering to the forum rules, but some emotional outbursts can happen in a heated discussion.

Yet, the poster you replied to, has apparently not given any contribution to this thread, he seems to think that believers are some kind of under-developed humans, and materialists have some hold on the truth. A narrow vision if you ask me ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The headline is crystal clear. It doesn't mention any religion.

Well, when discussing God, it's not easy to completely avoid religion, yet some people find apparently very hard to separate totally different concepts.

Edited by mauGR1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, when discussing God, it's not easy to completely avoid religion, yet some people find apparently very hard to separate totally different concepts.

Many religions have "Gods" in the plural and some have none at all..... It appears that almost all replies here ae about Christianity. However even here Christians, Muslims and Jews all worship the same one God.

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, I am guilty myself with not always strictly adhering to the forum rules, but some emotional outbursts can happen in a heated discussion.

Yet, the poster you replied to, has apparently not given any contribution to this thread, he seems to think that believers are some kind of under-developed humans, and materialists have some hold on the truth. A narrow vision if you ask me ????

"7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members,"

talk about the pot calling the kettle black

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

"Truth" is testable and supportable by evidence - to claim an alter-reality is really not a feasible argument any more.

Some argue that science is just another faith.....this reflects rather badly on those who put forward this idea, as it is almost exactly the opposite----science is based on sceptically and critical thinking that challenge everything and as a result it changes constantly - religion however is more or less fixed, any changes normally involve a prophet and a pogrom as one irrational is replaced by another.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Mods; isn't it about time this was closed, way past I would say ? 

Unbelievable, and why, if I may ask. I am a member since 2009, and this is the best thread ever. If you don't like it, well, go somewhere else.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Unbelievable, and why, if I may ask. I am a member since 2009, and this is the best thread ever. If you don't like it, well, go somewhere else.

because its been done to death, because everyone has an opinion and one is no more right than another, because it means trolls have a field day,  because it means lots of pointless arguments and snide comments, like yours, and mainly, because its just boring. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

"Truth" is testable and supportable by evidence - to claim an alter-reality is really not a feasible argument any more.

Some argue that science is just another faith.....this reflects rather badly on those who put forward this idea, as it is almost exactly the opposite----science is based on sceptically and critical thinking that challenge everything and as a result it changes constantly - religion however is more or less fixed, any changes normally involve a prophet and a pogrom as one irrational is replaced by another.

I wish I had the time and will to explain you a couple of things, but I'll just let you know that hundreds of years ago, the peasants were denying the existence of air, because it can't be seen.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

because its been done to death, because everyone has an opinion and one is no more right than another, because it means trolls have a field day,  because it means lots of pointless arguments and snide comments, like yours, and mainly, because its just boring. 

Well, your contribution will surely be appreciated by some. Goodbye.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OmegaRacer said:

Wow, you really raised the bar. The thread is safe now! Hallelujah

It's my role in life, its a gift really. From God probably  ????

Edited by Pilotman
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I wish I had the time and will to explain you a couple of things, but I'll just let you know that hundreds of years ago, the peasants were denying the existence of air, because it can't be seen.

...the peasants were denying the existence of air, because it can't be seen.

Not only the peasants of hundreds of years ago, even me today. Not because it can't be seen, but because no one is taxing me for breathing.

Edited by ravip
Typo
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ravip said:

...the peasants were denying the existence of air, because it can't be seen.

Not only the peasants hundreds of years ago, even me today. Not because it can't be seen, but because no one is taxing me for breathing.

Shhh... Don't give them ideas..

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

"7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members,"

talk about the pot calling the kettle black

Well, I admitted my guilt, and apologize if some of my posts occasionally hurt someone s feelings. As I said many times, to base the perception of reality just on the physical aspects gives one a limited view. Admitting that there's more than can be seen is a sign of open mind imho.

I believe that there's an intelligent design at work, I can see it every day, reflected in the physical reality. 

God can have infinite forms, but it's difficult to discuss that with anyone.

Who is your God ?

• Like 1