Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 hours ago, Elad said:

I like this scientific side to ya Sunmaster, keep it up ????

A rotating solid disc like that is quite complicated, there's a lot of forces going on including accelerations and its not easy to explain. However, it seems a little backwards to me because time slows down with increasing radius so I would put CC at infinity where time comes to a stop on your diagram. At the center time should be flowing faster ???? 

Don't take the model too literally. It's just my way to make sense of the time paradox. Other aspects of reality may warrant completely different models.

You mean invert the direction of time with time being the slowest at the rim and fastest at the center? 

I think it depends on the observer.
If you are at the center and see the disc rotating around you, the edges will rotate very fast in relation to the center. However, for those living on the edge time will pass much slower compared to the center.
The observer at the center who can perceive the disc in its full 360degrees, will be able to see the man's lifetime in its entirety in an instant. That means that time would pass much faster for the observer closest to the center. So, time as experienced by the observer seems to be inversely proportional to the speed of the disc.
fast disc speed => observer experiences time slower
slow disc speed => observer experiences time faster
Infinitely low disc speed (dead center) => observer experiences time infinitely fast, universes created and destroyed in a blink of an eye.

Past, present and future only make sense for the observer at the edge, but for the observer at the center, they happen all at the same time.

Does that make sense?

336866504_1254092055519831_7825719836657326955_n.jpg

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Seeing it as 'dirt' indicates that you have not yet come to terms with that part of being human.

my impression from reading that quote is that he is telling people how to 'scam' their way into a woman's pants.

anyway, we are living in parallel universes.

as everyone interprets everything around them differently. 

to some people, he's a guru.

to me, he looks like a fake. 

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

By throwing pretty unfounded accusations to a great master, even all spiritual masters, you are just showing everyone some rather dark side of you.

By engaging in gossip you are not doing yourself any favour.

Even if what you say is true, and most probably it's not, many great men had dark sides, and so what ?

So what?

So he's not the spiritual master you make him out to be.

And you're deluded about how effective or useful or truthful those teachings actually are.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

By throwing pretty unfounded accusations to a great master

you people are dogmatically telling me who the great masters are and who i should be studying.

it's just your opinion.

i read a couple of quotes from khalil gibran that impressed me more than yogananda's or seth's quotes.

i'm taking a hiatus here. i actually do not enjoy being an ahole. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you people are dogmatically telling me who the great masters are and who i should be studying.

it's just your opinion.

i read a couple of quotes from khalil gibran that impressed me more than yogananda's or seth's quotes.

I thought long and hard whether i should dignify your recent posts with a reply. I'm still not sure its the right thing to do, but what the hell...why not.

You're saying you don't enjoy being an ahole, but I think you are either lying to us or you're lying to yourself.

Why else would one try to put down something he has no will to understand? Reading a few quotes and watch a video for the sole purpose of finding some "dirt" doesn't count as understanding. That's just sad. Besides, it's funny how you picked one vague quote to make your smear campaign, but completely ignored the other excellent 20 that came before that.

It's simple. You do that because you feel inadequate and smearing sh!# all over something beautiful makes you feel better about yourself. Is your self-esteem really that low? Is this the best version of yourself you can be? I don't think so. Do you?

PS: In case this actually IS the best version of yourself, I think you better talk to yourself from here on out. ????

Edited by Sunmaster

54 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Besides, it's funny how you picked one vague quote to make your smear campaign, but completely ignored the other excellent 20 that came before that.

It's debatable whether the other 20 quotes that came before that one are excellent or mostly more nonsense.

Which I will NOT debate. Because it's highly subjective anyway. 

Art is a perfect analogy. You could literally put paint on your butt cheeks, sit on a canvas, wiggle around, and someone might think it's a masterpiece and pay 20 million dollars for it. 

It's not just about the quotes.

Anyone can say anything that sounds ok or makes reasonable sense.

But it's the overall "vibe" you get from the person uttering the quotes.

And it's the comparison with other people who have uttered things that are more useful. 

But the good news is that I am getting tired of criticizing "your gurus". 

This is exhausting. 

8 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

You're saying you don't enjoy being an ahole

If I've been too much of an ahole, I really do apologize.

But I have just watched a video with a sound recording of Yogananda.

And I stand by my original statements.

I am 100% convinced based on what he says and how he says it ... the way he speaks ... the tone of his voice ...

.... that this man was a fraud, a charlatan, and a cult leader. 

He has all the classic characteristics of a cult leader. 

I am not following this thread anymore. 

Title of video on Youtube: PARAMAHANSA YOGANANDA - THE PURPOSE OF LIFE

On 3/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, mauGR1 said:

Good story, and i guess that a quiet environment is an advantage for the development of music in general. 

Interesting experience you had there, even if i guess that you had to spend most if not all of your time in the building. 

Some say there are many mysteries in largely unexplored Antarctica ????

I was not a scientist- I was on the maintenance side and spent a lot of time outside. Eg all our water came from glacier ice and someone had to go get it, which much of the time was me.

In the summer we went skiing a lot.

It probably wasn't much colder where we were than parts of Canada, so as long as one dressed for it, going outside was no problem.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markclover said:

The thread is 572 pages long, any Christians prooved anything yet?

Probably not to your satisfaction, but yes.

More to the point, has anything on here convinced a believer that God doesn't exist?

NB. I didn't mention "religious person". IMO this thread has never been about religion "do-you-believe-in-god-and-why", despite the many attempts by non believers to make it so.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

My Mind Blown by 1560 Geneva Bible

Somewhat off topic, but of possible interest for some members...

https://naomiwolf.substack.com/p/my-mind-blown-by-1560-geneva-bible?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

I opened the link, but i found not much of relevance.

But, of course, studies of the old testament are imho always welcome , and the more controversial, the better.

Some scholar, in recent times, have suggested that the correct translation of "elohim" is not  "God" , but something akin to " gods". 

This apparently insignificant detail could indeed radically change the common perception of the " god of the bible", and instead suggest a quite different scenario. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, save the frogs said:

it's just your opinion.

No one is telling anyone else ( at least not for a very long time ) what to do on here. The information has been given where one can research ideas about what we believe, or one can ignore the information. Up to you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Some scholar, in recent times, have suggested that the correct translation of "elohim" is not  "God" , but something akin to " gods". 

This apparently insignificant detail could indeed radically change the common perception of the " god of the bible", and instead suggest a quite different scenario. 

In Riyadh there is a university dedicated to understanding what Muhammad was reported to have said ( and perhaps interpreting it is a way beneficial to some ), and I have no doubt the same exists for Christianity and other religions.

IMO if we can't understand the meaning of what the founders of religions meant without needing scholars to tell us what they meant, the religion isn't worth much.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was not a scientist- I was on the maintenance side and spent a lot of time outside. Eg all our water came from glacier ice and someone had to go get it, which much of the time was me.

In the summer we went skiing a lot.

It probably wasn't much colder where we were than parts of Canada, so as long as one dressed for it, going outside was no problem.

PS

I was there long before I became a believer, so I didn't see God in nature down there. I know that I would if I went back now. It's an amazingly spiritual place if one wishes to see it like that.

As far as sunsets go, for much of the year there were none, but the first sunrise after 8 weeks of darkness was truly spectacular. I am forever privileged to have had the opportunity to live there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO if we can't understand the meaning of what the founders of religions meant without needing scholars to tell us what they meant, the religion isn't worth much.

I respect your opinion, but i don't quite agree.

I have to say that i like a good story, and i find old legends extremely fascinating. 

I also have a gut feeling that one can find more truth in the ancient myths than in everyday news.

There are other reasons why i disagree with your statement "religion isn't worth much", but i don't want to go there.

Of course, if you mean to say that we don't need intermediaries to reach the absolute, there i fully agree with you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

There are other reasons why i disagree with your statement "religion isn't worth much", but i don't want to go there.

If you read the entire thing, I wasn't saying religion per se is not worth much.

if we can't understand the meaning of what the founders of religions meant without needing scholars to tell us what they meant, the religion isn't worth much

I fully understand what the Christ said when he referred to forgiveness and loving others without needing a scholar to tell me what he meant.

I'm not a Christian because IMO his message was corrupted by the men that started the church, though I try to live by his teachings. Apparently they didn't even allow the followers to know what he said till the reformation ( services were in Latin ).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That is what I was saying.

Perhaps I worded it badly.

Not really, in fact having read your posts since years, i understand what you are saying. 

I have to say that I'm still surprised how so many, both agnostics and believers, reject religion altogether. 

Perhaps I've been just lucky in my youth, as all the catholic priests i have got to know were decent human beings. 

A nun slapped my face once with full power though, but perhaps she was stressed that day ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Not really, in fact having read your posts since years, i understand what you are saying. 

I have to say that I'm still surprised how so many, both agnostics and believers, reject religion altogether. 

Perhaps I've been just lucky in my youth, as all the catholic priests i have got to know were decent human beings. 

A nun slapped my face once with full power though, but perhaps she was stressed that day ????

A teacher once hit me on the head, but he was not a nice man at anytime. The school was a Christian religious institution, but I guess he wasn't imbued with the spirit of Christ.

Even catholic priests are human and subject to human failings, though that doesn't excuse some of their activities.

• Like 1

A post containing a photo of another member has been removed:

31. You will not publicly discuss other members or post any member's personal information including but not limited to emails, social media messages, private messages, photos or website details. Contact information is permitted in the Jobs Offers and Jobs Wanted sections, but for the privacy and security of our members we strongly urge the use of the private message function rather the posting of personal contact information.