Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

I had skimmed thru more than 10 pages of responses from posters. For my 2 cents worth, I believed that for a person to understand the philosophy of the existence of god, you need to delve into the world of metaphysics, parallel world, multiverse, quantum mechanics, string theory, dimensional worlds, matrix, Buddhism with the philosophy of karma and karmic entanglements as well as the cultivation of self in spiritualism. The list is not limiting. For those in their twilight years, I think it is a meaningful  journey of self discovery and your engagement with ‘god’ or higher self.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

God might be one thing , religion another.

I believe that all creation is the result of a conscious decision by a creator entity. 

In esoteric teachings this creator is refered to as the Absolute. Indivisible into anything smaller.

Science, continuing from the big bang theory using quantum mechanics refers to what is called   ' the singularity. ' 

Before the big bang this singularity existed in a completely self sufficient state....occupying no space because there was no space to occupy. This singularity was apparently so small that they calculate that to divide a pinhead millions of times still does not get near its diminutive size.

However, this absolute/ singularity perceived that it was nonetheless diminishing ,albeit exceedingly slowly. Nonetheless, if this diminishment was not addressed it would eventually cease to be.

Something similar to the atomic life of all atoms but more so.

The universe and all creation were caused into being to address this problem, the idea being something akin to the perpetual motion ideal.

This is not only an esoteric teaching but now scientific speculation since no other reason to kick start creation can be thought of.

Anyway,  I am only quoting from memory various books I have read. I have simplified things in the interests of brevity but the information is out there for those interested.

As for religion. A man made thing with faith as its main pillar. Faith is important to most religions because it brooks no argument or discussion. It is the trump card of religious people. These people might be as thick as two short planks and illiterate but their faith, they believe,will always make them right and the enquiring mind wrong.

There is a whole lot about life and death and just about everything that we will never have concrete evidence of but our own demise is certain and only then will we find out if anything happens.

If there is a heaven better than this one called life it is beyond my comprehension. If something in me lives on after my bodies death but yet is without that which I call me and all my memories , then it is not much use as far as my own interest goes.

Make hay while the sun shines because you may not get another crack at it.

• Like 1

Failure to acknowledge the existence of a diety of one form or another, or indeed formless as the case may be, would be akin to denying my own existence. I think I will create a small world and keep it in a shoebox.

8 hours ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Fascinating thread. There is compelling evidence of the existence of a huge (over 500 feet long), ancient, man-made, boat like object at 6.300 feet above sea level.

I saw several of these at Suvarnabhumi airport the other day with lots of strange  writing on the side like "Finnair" and "EastStarJet"

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, NotYourBusiness said:

There is very strong archeological evidence of huge and catastrophic flows of water worldwide. DNA scientists will tell you that the human race went through a constriction event recently (~10,000 years) where it is estimated that fewer than 1,000 individuals survived. It explains why we are all so similar, which would not be expected from an evolution hypothesis.

You're confusing the Younger Dryas with the Toba event.

Instead of "constriction event", you should say "near-extinction event" or perhaps talk about population bottlenecks.

But the bottleneck that may have been engendered by the Toba event is an unproven theory. 

Oh, and the flooding associated with the Younger Dryas was ~10,000 BC rather than ~10,000 years ago. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pharoticus said:

You're confusing the Younger Dryas with the Toba event.

Instead of "constriction event", you should say "near-extinction event" or perhaps talk about population bottlenecks.

But the bottleneck that may have been engendered by the Toba event is an unproven theory. 

Oh, and the flooding associated with the Younger Dryas was ~10,000 BC rather than ~10,000 years ago. 

It's a pleasure to read your post. Finally, someone with a clue about the earth's history as explained by science.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Similar? Last time I looked in the mirror, my skin colour and eye shape was entirely different to that of my GF. I'm also very different physically from an African-American or the hairy Ainu of Japan. We have all evolved beneficially as a result of our environment. I can guarantee you would not survive more than a day or two at most in the Australian desert environment, while Aboriginals can.

The compelling evidence you describe is the product of an overheated imagination. You should stop reading Dan Brown novels.

Never heard of Dan Brown, and you should read some works of DNA scientists instead of relying on anecdotal evidence. New genetic mutations occur at each generation, which explains the Ainu, Aboriginals, etc. However, the human species has experienced several events (population bottlenecks) in the past where diversity has been suddenly lost. We are all remarkably similar.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can guarantee you would not survive more than a day or two at most in the Australian desert environment, while Aboriginals can.

And how much of that is lifetime conditioning and learned survival skills rather than genetics? If I grew up in a tribe my whole life, I can guarantee that I could survive as long as a native.

And conversely, if an Aboriginal grew up in London his whole life, wasn't conditioned, didn't learn outback survival skills, he also would not survive. There is no question that genetics plays a role, but not as much as you might believe. I say again that we are all remarkably similar and there is a reason.

Edited by NotYourBusiness
  • Like 1

I believe that I am NOT the Greatest power alive in all the Universes and Galaxies put together....that there is some sort of Power out there Greater than myself. ...Many choose to call that Power...."God"...(that word probably causes the most problems for non- believers in itself, but I understand it is only a "label" that someone used for description purposes).

I choose to believe and have recovered from an "incurable" disease at the age of 51 with that belief. A recovery that I failed to gain through my own will-power for the whole of my life prior to that point.

To be honest, the way I look at it...What have I got to lose living my life in this belief. ...If there is a "God" after I die.. I will have gained and received all the power and help I ever asked for and that made my life so beautiful through the freedom from my illness + so much more

after my recovery....And if there is NO "God" at the end of the day ..."I will not be aware of it".

"God Bless You All".

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Never heard of Dan Brown, and you should read some works of DNA scientists instead of relying on anecdotal evidence. New genetic mutations occur at each generation, which explains the Ainu, Aboriginals, etc. However, the human species has experienced several events (population bottlenecks) in the past where diversity has been suddenly lost. We are all remarkably similar.

Round up a group of chimpanzees and you'll find more genetic diversity than is found in the entire human race. 

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2012-03-02-chimps-show-much-greater-genetic-diversity-humans

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - They may all be black and hairy and they may all eat and act in much the same way, but chimpanzees from different parts of Africa are genetically more diverse than all of humanity, researchers reported on Friday."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chimpanzees-genes/gene-study-shows-chimps-more-diverse-than-humans-idUSN2032958020070420

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 9:38 PM, quandow said:

I believe life had some sort of intelligent design, and as I've pulled human remains out of a submerged plane crash and observed the lack of life, there is something about humans having a soul. It's even been weighed. As much as the method used to weigh the soul was sloppy science, I think the bible is sloppy narrative. Jesus was a short dark guy, not the European with flowing brown hair currently selling His book. It's been rewritten so many times with so many inconsistencies that it's difficult to fathom anyone taking it 100% seriously. There ARE many good parables, the lessons are good standards to apply to your walk through life. Do I believe we were created? Yes. Do I believe in the Judeo-Christian interpretation of God? No.

I've pulled batteries from my walkman and observed a lack of life, maybe I will meet them in heaven?

I don't denigrate those who don't believe.

I struggle with it myself.

I don't try to force any of my conflicted Catholic ideas on anyone. In point of fact I only go to Mass on Christmas & Easter, that's about it.

What I do object to, are those that seem to feel and able to completely ridicule anyone that does have, as in my case a fallen Catholics' viewpoint as ridiculous.

We all believe in many things, and we should be able to express those beliefs whether or not you agree with them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2019 at 10:29 PM, marcusarelus said:

I'm way beyond mocking.  I think is wrong, immoral, harmful and hurtful and responsible for millions of deaths pain and suffering. 

You're speaking of religion. Some people believe God is nature and all that's included in that system. So Mocking God could mean to them not understanding the natural order of the universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rwill said:

Sometimes when I am around people pushing religion on me I say "If their is a God may he strike me dead now!"  I like seeing the looks on their faces....

Yes I used that with a buddy a couple months ago. Calling his God every nasty expletive I could and daring IT to strike me down. The usual nothing happened. 

A more subtle approach with those that are aghast that I'm an atheist, is to ask if their god answers prayers. They ALWAYS say Yes. Then I tell them to pray for IT to prove to me that IT is real and change me into a believer. The usual nothing happens every time. :coffee1: