Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

An opinion. 

I note your arrogance (not uncommon with believers) claiming that your opinion has more value than mine. 

I think you should be grateful instead.

I'm not getting any pleasure in giving you answers.

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

So full of yourself too. 

And your posts are not answers, but opinions, 

similar to mines. 

It's not about me and you, but feel free to think that the Dalai Lama and Jack the ripper have similar beliefs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

I'm certainly no bible expert, but it seems that what the Catholics worship in Mother Mary is no other than the feminine aspect of God, just like the Shekhinah in Judaism or Shakti in Hinduism.

Which brings me to an interesting question...
What gender do you think God is?

Many arguments how god is, what he is, but as the text say, humans was created in the likeness of god, and he created man first.  

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Have you actually read any of the posts that deal with that? Perhaps you think you can just jump in and post a load of stuff that has been answered long ago, but you can't on a thread like this, and I'm certainly not going to repeat it just for your benefit.

Cmnnightrider do his regular quoting a verse, I reply! He literal refer to the bible, so I share my opinion, and you taking that out of context as useal. Not first time you act as the post police here. 

^

You are confused, in my opinion. 

For me there is a difference between :

"to have similar beliefs" 

and

"Every belief should be considered as similar" 

What was Jack's belief? 

Googled it, but didn't find anything. 

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

^

You are confused, in my opinion. 

For me there is a difference between :

"to have similar beliefs" 

and

"Every belief should be considered as similar" 

What was Jack's belief? 

Googled it, but didn't find anything. 

No big deal, i disagree with you, end of it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Pretty sure that you wrote you were offended because I posted that, for me, your belief was for me similar to the ones who believe in the tin foil hat theory. 

So I extrapolated from that that you are convinced that your believe is real and the other faiths are ridiculous. 

If I am wrong in my thinking, and you are also have the opinion, as myself, that every belief must be considered as similar(not one real and the other ridiculous) just post it here please. 

So first you say his belief is similar to tin foil hat theories (basically ridiculing it), then you go on saying that every belief must be considered equal (should not be ridiculed)....
And you're calling others confused? ????????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

So first you say his belief is similar to tin foil hat theories (basically ridiculing it), then you go on saying that every belief must be considered equal (should not be ridiculed)....

belief similar - beliefs equal ... I would just say everybody has his/her right to believe what they want but not the right to judge the belief of another as right or wrong. With this attitude you could live in peace with each other and everybody could.

And the men in funny hats would stay alone with their beliefs

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Everybody can feel a connection. The question is what do we feel connected to?!
We can go back to the core beliefs of a person. If your core belief is that Mother Earth is the giver of all life, then you'll respect her and do everything in your power to protect her. Just like you would with your own mother. 
The fact that you actually call her "Mother", shows that you have a strong connection and can relate to something bigger than yourself. Maybe you're more spiritual than you want to admit. ????

I didn't say that ONLY spiritual (I didn't mention 'religious') people can feel that kind of connection, but I think they are much less likely to act against nature and Mother Earth, simply because it's anchored in their core beliefs: "We are part of something bigger, we are all connected".

Of course I feel strongly connected to our planet, and the mysteries evolving right here. I also feel connected to my gf as well, but on a different level. Nature is what give me life, hope and also a place I can experience greatness on a much bigger level than any other place. For me there is no more need for looking for a creator and obay, I do that when I meet nature on the natures term. You have to respect, if not you fail, and unfortenely we as humans fail nature every day on a much bigger scale we ever can imagine. That is a much bigger sin than anything else. 

As many get their inspiration trough god, I get it trough nature, and David Attenborough is one of the persons who have inspired me my whole life. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

belief similar - beliefs equal ... I would just say everybody has his/her right to believe what they want but not the right to judge the belief of another as right or wrong. With this attitude you could live in peace with each other and everybody could.

You make it easy, but it's not so clear cut.

The paradox is : How tolerant you can be of the intolerant ?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You make it easy, but it's not so clear cut.

The paradox is : How tolerant you can be of the intolerant ?

easy - you grant them the right to be intolerant (Mind you we are talking about beliefs, not about actions, that's a different chapter)

I also said: if everybody... that means the intolerant would tolerate the beliefs of others - that means there would be no intolerant

Edited by sweatalot

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

easy - you grant them the right to be intolerant (Mind you we are talking about beliefs, not about actions, that's a different chapter)

Well, you would admit that beliefs turn into actions from time to time..

37 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

"Basically ridiculing it" : That is your opinion, shows that you consider The Tin Foil Hat as ridiculous, but not your own believe.

This is arrogant.

I, I never mentioned that The Tin Foil Hat belief is ridiculous. 

I have my opinion about every believe/faith. 

You are entitled of course to have a different one, but that doesn't make it better/more valuable that mine, despite you may think so. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, luckyluke said:

"Basically ridiculing it" : That is your opinion, shows that you consider The Tin Foil Hat as ridiculous, but not your own believe.

This is arrogant.

I, I never mentioned that The Tin Foil Hat belief is ridiculous. 

I have my opinion about every believe/faith. 

You are entitled of course to have a different one, but that doesn't make it better/more valuable that mine, despite you may think so. 

You may want to look up what the expression "tin foil hat" means, it's certainly not a compliment when talking about a belief. So no, not just my opinion.

Nice try but no cigar.

• Thanks 1

"A tinfoil hat is a hat made from one or more sheets of aluminium foil, or a piece of conventional headgear lined with foil, worn in the belief or hope that it shields the brain from threats such as electromagnetic fields, mind control, and mind reading." 

-Wikipedia - 

It was/is my opinion that The Tin Foil Hat is a belief/faith. 

Apparently it is the case according to Wikipedia. 

This belief/faith is, in my opinion, no more stupid or credible as any other belief. 

Others may have a different opinion. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

"A tinfoil hat is a hat made from one or more sheets of aluminium foil, or a piece of conventional headgear lined with foil, worn in the belief or hope that it shields the brain from threats such as electromagnetic fields, mind control, and mind reading." 

-Wikipedia - 

It was/is my opinion that The Tin Foil Hat is a belief/faith. 

Apparently it is the case according to Wikipedia. 

This belief/faith is, in my opinion, no more stupid or credible as any other belief. 

Others may have a different opinion. 

Are you serious? 

According to your theory, the belief of some African tribesmen that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin is equal to a doctor's opinion. Or the belief of the KKK that black people are sub humans is equal to....well, any normal person. 

Can you really not spot the difference? 

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2019 at 9:30 PM, CMNightRider said:

I believe

you can "believe" anything you want but  until you can back it  up its  nothing more than nonsense,  not  only that but my belief that a  god is  raspberry jam mixed with marmite is an equally valid "belief"

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chazar said:

you can "believe" anything you want but  until you can back it  up its  nothing more than nonsense,  not  only that but my belief that a  god is  raspberry jam mixed with marmite is an equally valid "belief"

Another one who believes his BS is gold and the others are nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Another one who believes his BS is gold and the others are nonsense. 

What goes around comes around? 

Reading Trump is chosen by god

«Evangelical Leaders Close Ranks With Trump After Scathing Editorial

Christianity Today’s call for President Trump’s removal gave voice to his evangelical critics. But they remain a minority in a political movement that Mr. Trump has reshaped in his own mold.»

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/us/politics/christianity-today-trump-evangelicals.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

«George Bush: ‘God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq’

President told Palestinians God also talked to him about Middle East peace»

I know som of you will say this is falsery, but in my opinion, there have been a beginning for exactly this purpose! Politics and weird minds mixing up faith and politics!

4 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

That depends on the believer and his interpretation of what God is.

I can only speak for myself. For me God is the Ultimate Truth, Eternal Love, Boundless Wisdom....and as such is the foundation of everything there is. 

The different Gods you talk about are simply different interpretations of the One, so for me there's no conflict at all.

Same family, same orign, but still so difficult to unite! We are tribe members who belong to one fraction, but now we se the confusion on a global level, when everybody can choose and borrow little bit here and little bit there, and make their own personal belief. Is it for the better or worse? 

As a society wouldnt we be better of united to our tribe? Our country? 

Everyone pull in same direction, that was the orign idea! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Instead of sending me or others idiotic messages, maybe your time would be better spent reading the Bible for yourself.

• Like 1

I'm an optimist in this regard and I think that we will eventually get there, maybe not all but the vast majority yes.

7 hours ago, Tagged said:

when everybody can choose and borrow little bit here and little bit there, and make their own personal belief. Is it for the better or worse? 

Hmm, this is an interesting question.
A belief system is like a melting pot where the ingredients come from many different directions: things we have learned from our parents, our culture, peer pressure, things we have learned at school, personal experiences and so on.
Before the internet there were certainly less sources of information. BSs were therefore more limited I guess, ...or fewer variations perhaps. Today we have instant access to all kinds of information, resulting in all kinds of BSs (political factions, the gender question, flat earth, aliens, and and and)

Personally I think  that knowledge is power", so I don't think it's a bad thing to use ingredients from other cultures, philosophies or religions. As long as it helps you to evolve, it's all good.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, yodsak said:

1945988549_ScreenShot2019-12-21at20_48_35.png.3c9c0ecced3dafba009077ee31582eea.png

Dawkins is free to believe that of course, but since he is only looking at it from the outside, his opinion is equal to that of my next door neighbour. At least my neighbour has the good sense to keep his ignorance to himself.

I don't understand why people give him so much credit. Taking cheap shots at religion, however deserved, doesn't disprove that there is a Creator, because they are not the same thing.

I would also be curious to know what exactly the "strong contradictory evidence "is. Care to elaborate?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Are you serious? 

According to your theory, the belief of some African tribesmen that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin is equal to a doctor's opinion. Or the belief of the KKK that black people are sub humans is equal to....well, any normal person. 

Can you really not spot the difference? 

I have norms, I know where my limits of acceptance are. 

Some beliefs are all the same for me, others don't. 

Nothing is black or white. 

Every approach is different. 

But I don't claim that my approach is the only right one.

My philosophy is that no one is right or wrong, that tolerance is a good thing, and arrogance is bad. 

Therefore I will never claim that my opinion about belief, and who or what is true or ridiculous is the only right one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Dawkins is free to believe that of course, but since he is only looking at it from the outside, his opinion is equal to that of my next door neighbour. At least my neighbour has the good sense to keep his ignorance to himself.

I don't understand why people give him so much credit. Taking cheap shots at religion, however deserved, doesn't disprove that there is a Creator, because they are not the same thing.

I would also be curious to know what exactly the "strong contradictory evidence "is. Care to elaborate?

The main problem to accept an creator is 

"Stephen Hawking and co-author Leonard Mlodinow state in their book, The Grand Design, that it is reasonable to ask who or what created the universe, but if the answer is God, then the question has merely been deflected to that of who created God"